Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Griff »

yeah! I've been uploading things to box this morning and it looks like I overwrote the griffin with the ophidian :roll:
It should all be back to normal now, with an updated Wolf OXP as well (now at V1.4)
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Seems to be a problem with the Griffin:

08:16:55.582 [shader.compile.failure]: ***** ERROR: GLSL fragment shader compilation failed for griff_griffin1_NPC.fragment:
>>>>> GLSL log:
0(241) : error C1008: undefined variable "Decal2_Scale_Position"

08:16:55.582 [shader.load.failed]: ***** ERROR: Could not build shader griff_normalmap_ships.vertex/griff_griffin1_NPC.fragment.
08:16:55.589 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "Hull".
08:17:36.407 [exit.context]: Exiting: Shift-escape pressed.
08:17:36.424 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2014-06-16 08:17:36 +0100.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

oops, sorry - i think this is a cut and paste error - the griffin only has the one decal but i copied a bit of code into its shader from a ship with two decals, i'll get the OXP updated, the manual fix is to open
griff_griffin1_NPC.fragment, go to line 241 and change it to

Code: Select all

vec4 decals = the_decaliser(Decal1_Scale_Position);
from

vec4 decals = the_decaliser(Decal1_Scale_Position) + the_decaliser(Decal2_Scale_Position);
edit: actually there's references to a missing decal in the player fragment shader too - i've fixed those now, might be easier just to redownload the oxp from box (now at V1.2.1)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've made a few small changes to the thargoid oxp, to add in a simple Iridescence effect I cribbed from an example shader by Diego Inácio
https://github.com/diegoinacio/shading/ ... nce_simple
and also spruced up the laser gun glow and 'sparking damage' effects a bit
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I've now installed the full 1.79 set to my trunk install, and have a couple of questions..

1. Is the shipset compatibility OXZ needed, or has the trunk version of the shipset been upgraded so that this is not necessary?

2. Why, (extra detail shader setting, if that makes a difference) are they all so dark and colourless?

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

I'm running those core OXPs too (apart from the start-in-a-Griff-Cobra OXP), without the shipset compatibility OXZ (Griff's all-in-one shipset hasn't been upgraded yet, as far as I know). That's a very dark Cobra III, Diz - they look nowhere near as dark on my machine. They look fine, in fact.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks for that, Cody..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Diz, has your computer got an Nvidia card and the new drivers from last month? they don't like a particular line in the fragment shader that deals with applying the ship decal, from your screenshot it looks like the shader for the gun subentity is working but the shader for the main part of the ship has failed because of this line in the 'decaliser' function, here's a post where we work out what the problem is:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 02#p219002
you'll see some lines like this in the log if it is indeed this shader bug

(0) : fatal error C9999: *** exception during compilation ***
if you're OK for internet bandwidth it might be worth grabbing a few of the updated OXP's from here: http://www.box.com/shared/rpkms25cc9 (in the 'Core Shipset for Oolite v1.79(trunk)' folder) and seeing if they work OK, dump any bundle OXP's of these ships as they've gone really out of date.

I guess I should think about making OXZ's of these, i'll have a look through the guide that was posted up a while back - would there be any need for a bundle OXZ or should we get rid of that now - it's a hassle to keep updated as it's such a massive upload
Cody

Post by Cody »

Griff wrote:
... would there be any need for a bundle OXZ or should we get rid of that now - it's a hassle to keep updated as it's such a massive upload
Your choice, Griff - but I'm quite content with the individual OXPs as is.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Griff wrote:
Diz, has your computer got an Nvidia card and the new drivers from last month?
Nope.. it's an old(ish) ATI/AMD X2300 Mobility Radeon chip. Drivers are the current standard Linux drivers for the chip.

02:30:44.404 [rendering.opengl.version]: OpenGL renderer version: 2.1.0 ("2.1 Mesa 10.1.3"). Vendor: "X.Org R300 Project". Renderer: "Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV515".
Griff wrote:
they don't like a particular line in the fragment shader that deals with applying the ship decal, from your screenshot it looks like the shader for the gun subentity is working but the shader for the main part of the ship has failed because of this line in the 'decaliser' function, here's a post where we work out what the problem is:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 02#p219002
you'll see some lines like this in the log if it is indeed this shader bug

(0) : fatal error C9999: *** exception during compilation ***
I'll check that out.
Griff wrote:
if you're OK for internet bandwidth it might be worth grabbing a few of the updated OXP's from here: http://www.box.com/shared/rpkms25cc9 (in the 'Core Shipset for Oolite v1.79(trunk)' folder) and seeing if they work OK, dump any bundle OXP's of these ships as they've gone really out of date.
No problem on the bandwidth front, but that's exactly where I downloaded them from, just 2 days ago.. I did see you've updated a couple since, and will grab them, but other than that, this is happening with the current versions.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Diz - how does the core shipset Cobra III appear on start-up on your machine? That is fine, I presume?
Last edited by Cody on Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

They're all fine.. but I'd rather Griff's shadered ones, if possible.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<scatches head> A strange one, Diz. With the start-in-a-Griff-Cobra OXP, my spinning Cobra looks like this.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've updated the tharglet oxp (for Trunk and v1.77.1) to have the same iridescence effects that yesterdays thargoid shader update has.

Not sure why but the tharglets are not going hostile for me in Trunk 1.79.0.5796-140613-5dc7327
they're just hovering there but they are going inactive once the mothership is blown up - they seem to behave properly in v1.77.1

I'm a bit stumped with that shader error diz, anything in the log? you don't happen to have some sort of conflict going on with an old version of the oxp still being found somewhere on your system and loaded into oolite - even though I've been updating the oxp over the last month or so, the shaders in the new versions will have the same filenames as the old ones.
here's an earlier (pre NVidia driver workaround) of the oxp, have a go to see if this one works
https://app.box.com/s/qutt07c4102rnj8pvmzw
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks.. will check it out.