Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Joystick recommendation for Windows 7 64-bit

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Joystick recommendation for Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Diziet Sma »

Holmes177 wrote:
I like the Saitek ST290 pro. I have 6 buttons at my fingertips, a hat & a throttle. Easily modified for left handed use. Several on Amazon & Ebay for around $25.
Looks to be a cut-down version of the Saitek Cyborg Evo that I use.. the main difference being the Cyborg has 6 more buttons on the base.

Notwithstanding which, it looks to be a good stick for the price. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Holmes177
Competent
Competent

Post by Holmes177 »

Like the looks of your Cyborg Evo, so just bought one from Ebay that appears to be in like new condition. Paid $35 + 8 Shipping. Extra buttons will come in handy, thanks.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Holmes177 wrote:
Extra buttons will come in handy, thanks.
You're welcome.. though to be honest, I wish it had about 6 more.. :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Holmes177
Competent
Competent

Post by Holmes177 »

Got the Cyborg yesterday & it very similar to the ST290 Pro. However, I found it a lot stiffer in movement, probably because of all the wear on my ST290. Going back to the ST290. Anyone want a good deal on the Cyborg EVO?
Doug Stuart
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Doug Stuart »

That Cyborg EVO sounds good to me. I've been using a Microsoft sidewinder precision 2 I bought back in 199? but it still works well!
But I'm still driving a 1992 Camry that I bought brand new , so you can see that I take care of my toys! :lol:
Would be nice to have a separate throttle and a few more buttons.(got 8 + hat = 12).
I in the US and if your not the shipping would nullify "the good deal"!
No Power In The VERSE Can Stop Me!
Holmes177
Competent
Competent

Post by Holmes177 »

Doug,

A little powdered graphite got the Cyborg working really smooth. Haven't seen anything I like better without going into BIG bucks!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Holmes177 wrote:
A little powdered graphite got the Cyborg working really smooth.
Now that's an interesting idea! I wouldn't call mine 'stiff', but it could certainly be smoother.. might have to give that a try.

I presume that spring-loaded cone and cup area at the base of the 'stick is the part that needs the graphite treatment?
Holmes177
Competent
Competent

Post by Holmes177 »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Holmes177 wrote:
A little powdered graphite got the Cyborg working really smooth.
Now that's an interesting idea! I wouldn't call mine 'stiff', but it could certainly be smoother.. might have to give that a try.

I presume that spring-loaded cone and cup area at the base of the 'stick is the part that needs the graphite treatment?
Correct