Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

About that constrictor...

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

About that constrictor...

Post by Hans Olo »

I'm after the Constrictor - again. I got it as Hans Olo, but at the moment I'm cruising around as Hans Olo II. My trouble is I don't remember how. I made it to Xeer, taking the time to get the money for my fore and aft Military Lasers, and have neither heard not seen anything of the constrictor. After puttering around the Xeer neighborhood for a while, I am baffled! I feel like I am missing something. How should I proceed?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: About that constrictor...

Post by Cody »

<grins> How many confirmed kills does your new commander have?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

A competent 347. I was approached about the job, but have heard as much else from the Navy as I have seen the constrictor itself. Which isn't anything :P
SteveKing
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SteveKing »

Hans Olo wrote:
After puttering around the Xeer neighborhood for a while, I am baffled! I feel like I am missing something. How should I proceed?
From what I remember, it doesn't matter if you putter around the Xeer local galactic neighbourhood a while or not, you get a few other hints sooner or later. I think that you better get yourself kitted with some heavier duty drive equipment if you haven't already 8)

Can't remember if you see the Constrictor before you're ready to take him on - or can I... :wink:

Good luck commander!
SteveKing
(not quite the author)
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

I finally found the hints on screen seven. Last session I followed it's trail with my... 'heavier duty drive'. And my for and aft military lasers say I'm ready for him!
onno256
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by onno256 »

Go get Him, Man!
Wheeling an' dealing while cruisin' the galaxies
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

I, to, was in pursuit of the elusive Constrictor. Having arrived in G2 the trail went cold. So I have been dashing back and forth practicing my combat/cargo scooping skills as well as doing a rather nice paint job on my bus whilst in dock.

Tonight I received a message concerning a 'strange ship' seen near Er*****. It took me a moment to realize what ship and why I was privy to the information :mrgreen: So I'm planet hopping in a planned direction on the trail again.

Just for fun I even pulled a sharp maneuver as I entered witch space just to see if I could drop out of the jump and hit some Tharg scum. Which I did. I found them a little disappointing on the challenge front, Wot!

Good luck fellow hunter!

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Bangbangduck wrote:
I found them a little disappointing on the challenge front, Wot!
It is the very first native combat mission, so shouldn't be to tough. However, when you would postpone the fight, till your rating raises above deadly, the constrictor will be more of a challenge. :)
Doug Stuart
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Doug Stuart »

Hi fellow Commanders:
I too have just received the Constrictor job and was wondering if there is a time limit to get there and find it , I am at Xexedi and it will take some time to get there.
I think my ship is ready (I have Energy boost, Mil. lasers, Mil. shields and everything but galactic jump.
They said it was stolen from Xeer but was last seen at Rees??? , is that all ways where it says or do they pick a random planet around Xeer ?
P.S. my rating is competent (265 kills).
No Power In The VERSE Can Stop Me!
Cody

Post by Cody »

There is no time limit (that I'm aware of) - the rest could be thought of as spoilers. <grins>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Doug Stuart
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Doug Stuart »

Thanks Cody for the info , and for the spoiler alert.(finding out is more than half the fun!)
I am also grateful for everyone's help and patients with noobies , I'm sure it can be tiring at times :wink:
No Power In The VERSE Can Stop Me!
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

This really is 'The friendliest forum this side of Reidquat'.

Just keep an eye on the message thingy that shows up from time to time. I'd forgotten all about it but will be watching closely from now on!

EDIT: So it ends! I had a bit of a run in. Hit the injectors a few times took some hits, even did a run to the sun to replenish fuel for the injectors before charging into the fray once more. Until I cracked his drive system, rendered the hull open and smacked the bad boy down!

During the post battle gloat I suddenly noticed a blue dot on the rader closing fast. My timing was lucky, I hit the ECM system, also noticing my aft shield was well in the red. Good fun :mrgreen:

BBD
Last edited by Bangbangduck on Fri May 16, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bangbangduck wrote:
Good fun and a recommended OXP from me :mrgreen:
One minor detail.. it's not an OXP.. it's one of the 5 native missions in the core game. :wink: :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

Edited said post so I don't look like a numpty :oops:

As I was typing away there was a little thought in my head trying to work out which OXP I had brought the constrictor mission in on.
Post battle excitement confuddled me :shock:

BBD
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Bangbangduck wrote:
Post battle excitement confuddled me :shock:
Easy enough to do.. I make myself look like an idiot here on a semi-regular basis.. :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied