First Earth-sized exoplanet in habitable zone confirmed

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

First Earth-sized exoplanet in habitable zone confirmed

Post by Cody »

'The first Earth-sized exoplanet orbiting within the habitable zone of another star has been confirmed... ' the Gemini Observatory.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: First Earth-sized exoplanet in habitable zone confirmed

Post by Diziet Sma »

Now let's hope we don't get there until we've learned how to properly care for the planet we already have.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Now let's hope we don't get there until we've learned how to properly care for the planet we already have.
I imagine at 500LY distance, the crew of any colonisation ship that gets there will be by definition extremely expert at not making a mess of ecosystems, even if the planet they left was terrible at it.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Fair point.. though it could also be argued that those who got there would only be expert at managing a microcosm, not an entire ecosystem, something inherently far more complex..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Fair point.. though it could also be argued that those who got there would only be expert at managing a microcosm, not an entire ecosystem, something inherently far more complex..
Oh, sure - there might be a couple of initial settlement sites abandoned due to inexperience - but they're unlikely to do any irrepairable damage (if nothing else, there probably won't be enough of them to do that much damage)

On that note: a generation ship story that people might not have seen before.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

It's also worth considering that, if there is any sort of active ecosystem there at all, it's very unlikely that humans would be able to interact with it. Having evolved to live in this ecosystem, chances are we'd find any alien ecosystem - even if it was a close match with earth, in terms of gravity, temperature and even atmospheric composition - either completely biologically hostile, or perhaps just totally incompatible.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Such a planet would most likely be tidally locked, it seems - could be an interesting place.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!