LoonILite

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Cody

benshelmars
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

LoonILite

Post by benshelmars »

Well I have given this a lot of thought....and if ever there was a team to be discovered that can break-ground in history again...it would be here, so if you will consider the following:

http://www.gamesforchange.org/g4cwp/wp- ... elines.pdf

Please let me know how you feel about this.

Tom
benshelmars
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I'll try this again

Post by benshelmars »

I put a link here before...which some how did not post at all...so here's the scoop

'Shoot for the Moon': Win $25,000 in a new G4C design challenge

G4C will award a prize of up to $25,000, sponsored by the Schusterman Family Foundation, to create a space exploration game that takes players to the final frontier for Space IL, as it competes in the $20 million Google Lunar X Prize.

SpaceIL, a nonprofit organization, is working to land the first Israeli spacecraft on the moon. Through this mission, SpaceIL aspires to create a new "Apollo effect," inspiring the next generation to think differently about science, engineering, technology, and math (STEM).

The challenge invites game designers to envision an interactive experience that encourages space exploration and at the same time captures comprehensive real-world data that will inform the mission of SpaceIL.

Three finalists will be selected to present their ideas on stage at the 11th Annual Games for Change Festival (April 22-24 & 26) with the full attention of attendees, potential funders, and a live jury. The winning design concept will be announced at the festival and in the media. The final game will be featured on the SpaceIL website.

Key Dates

March 14 - Submissions due
March 21- Finalists selected and notified
April 23 - Finalists present designs and live juried competition at the Festival

What do you get?

3 Finalists:

1 Selected Winner:

Two complimentary passes to the 2014 Festival
Complimentary travel and lodging during the Festival
Recognition on G4C's website and Festival communication
Opportunity to present design and network with other funders, activists, and designers

Up to $25,000 to create a design prototype
Mentoring from G4C during the pre-production and prototype development process (up to one year)
Opportunity to pursue future collaboration with SpaceIL
Press and promotion on G4C's website and social media channels

I think Oolite and the people involved with it is the solution....tell me I am right!

Tom (benshelmars)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: I'll try this again

Post by Commander McLane »

benshelmars wrote:
I think Oolite and the people involved with it is the solution....tell me I am right!
I think you're wrong, and for more than one reason.
  • benshelmars wrote:
    The challenge invites game designers to envision an interactive experience that encourages space exploration and at the same time captures comprehensive real-world data that will inform the mission of SpaceIL.
    Capturing any real-world data is totally out of Oolite's scope, and there's absolutely nothing in the game that may be able to inform any RealLife™ mission.
  • Oolite is a non-profit project. Using it to make money in any way, shape or form is a Bad Idea™. I think this includes grabbing for price money in a competition.
So this is a non-starter. Sorry.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: LoonILite

Post by another_commander »

Thanks for the consideration benshelmars.

In my opinion, Oolite is and should continue to be a hobby project. So far its team members and its community have ensured that it does not get associated with commercial or money generating activities and there are good reasons for that, some of them even of legal nature. As such, it is my personal belief that Oolite should stay out of this competition. In any case, it really does not seem to be what you are looking for anyway. We do not do calculations of orbits or real space travel simulation, we just have a nice little fun game here that we hope people enjoy playing.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I agree 100% with McLane and another_commander..

And then there's this:
benshelmars wrote:
SpaceIL, a nonprofit organization, is working to land the first Israeli spacecraft on the moon.
As a committed member of the "Boycott Israel" community, I'd be opposed on this basis alone.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Diziet Sma wrote:
I agree 100% with McLane and another_commander..

And then there's this:
benshelmars wrote:
SpaceIL, a nonprofit organization, is working to land the first Israeli spacecraft on the moon.
As a committed member of the "Boycott Israel" community, I'd be opposed on this basis alone.
Maybe we could crowdfund the first Palestinian space craft? :lol:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Pleb wrote:
Maybe we could crowdfund the first Palestinian space craft? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

I rather suspect they'd have higher priorities for the money.. medical supplies, basic building materials, all the other perfectly normal goods that Israel's embargo prevents them from having.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied