Cloaking in 1.79.0.5385-131130-96f39f3

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Cloaking in 1.79.0.5385-131130-96f39f3

Post by Cody »

Cody wrote:
Those bandits tried to hustle me for cargo, but I was in observer mode, so I cloaked briefly, then uncloaked and snuck close in amongst them and hove-to. Though the scanner was clear, they made no attempt to re-acquire me as a target.
This keeps happening - just now, I got threatened by a large bunch of bandits (maybe a dozen), cloaked for five seconds, uncloaked, then sat there amongst them at condition yellow for four minutes 'til some Vipers appeared (Estiri - RI/CS 13). Surely they should at least target me and demand tribute again?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Cloaking in 1.79.0.5385-131130-96f39f3

Post by cim »

Cody wrote:
Surely they should at least target me and demand tribute again?
I don't know - if you were a pirate group with a bunch of cheap ships and your planned victim demonstrated their ship was equipped with some mysterious ability to become invisible when threatened, then didn't take any hostile action on reappearing, wouldn't you breathe a sigh of relief and pretend it had never happened?

It's an unintended consequence of the code which prevents pirates shaking down the ship which just paid them, if that ship is the player or a ship with an old-style AI. I don't know if it's a bug or not...
Cody

Re: Cloaking in 1.79.0.5385-131130-96f39f3

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
I don't know - if you were a pirate group with a bunch of cheap ships and your planned victim demonstrated their ship was equipped with some mysterious ability to become invisible when threatened, then didn't take any hostile action on reappearing, wouldn't you breathe a sigh of relief and pretend it had never happened?
Ha! I hadn't thought of it like that! Quite possibly... yes.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!