Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Ship Wishlist!!! :-D

Post by Paradox »

Diziet Sma wrote:
...That might make scooping kinda tricky (unless a scoop-cam is added).. it might be that some compromise position could be found. Perhaps above the midpoint along the hull, for instance.. though I wouldn't mind if the nose intruded a small amount into the view. It would be a reminder of just what a hoopy ship one was aboard.
Scoop cam is easy to do, it's the placement of the scoop that's a bit tricky. I am currently thinking about the lower half of the very front. You have the double column of windows but I think a little artistic license could shoehorn a scoop there. A simple laser "port" just above it at the bottom of the upper half.

I too would like to see at least a part of the ship when cruising along... I will add a custom cam in any case. };]
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Still, scooping fuel should still be possible even if cargo scooping would be an impressive party trick.
I don't think that should be much of a problem, as long as you mention this clearly in the owners manual.
Unless it is to be used as a lone-wolf pirate or rescue ship, but iirc that is not really the intended role. ;)

You could also disallow the scoop equipment to be fitted.
Riding the Rocket!
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Okay... This is my 8th "scrap and start over" attempt... Bad news, this is a high poly model. Good news(?), I got it down to 3956 polys, so as long as your not running 10-20 of them on your screen at once, shouldn't be too bad...hopefully. I hate using the "smooth" command on a model, but in this case...

I think this should be set up as a player only ship anyways, as it is supposed to be a one of a kind to begin with. Wasn't it?

You can see where I put the scoop in the front, so with a scoop cam it should be a no-brainer.

Now to skin it...sigh...

P.S. Yes, I know there are probably lots of little bits and pieces that are different or missing. Tough, deal with it! :twisted:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

:shock: Wow. That is just.. jaw-droppingly gorgeous! Fantastic job, Paradox!

If I didn't know it was going to look even better textured, that pic you posted would already be my new wallpaper.. :D
Paradox wrote:
I think this should be set up as a player only ship anyways, as it is supposed to be a one of a kind to begin with. Wasn't it?
I'm not entirely sure about that.. unique, yes.. but possibly a lot of commanders not using the HoG themselves, might like it to appear as a (perhaps very) rare sighting whilst going about their normal business.. "Wow, look! There goes that hoopy frood, Zaphod Beeblebrox.. now don't get too close, helm.. I don't want this ship turning into a cargo-pod of Spam!"

On the other hand, if the player is flying it, then if possible, it should not appear as an NPC ship as well.. that would possibly need some kind of scripting trick to pull off.
Paradox wrote:
Okay... This is my 8th "scrap and start over" attempt...
P.S. Yes, I know there are probably lots of little bits and pieces that are different or missing. Tough, deal with it! :twisted:
After 8 do-overs :shock: , I'm sure nobody would criticise... I'd say you've nailed it.. there are very few differences that I can see.. all very minor. You've shown dedication to this project far above and beyond what could be expected.. I salute you, sir! 8)
Last edited by Diziet Sma on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

Cody wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that it looks slightly like a shower head?
Yeah, it does... apparently DA enjoyed spending time in the bath, so perhaps that is why.
Or perhaps the reason is that, well, this was the BBC... so it probably WAS a shower head!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Keeper wrote:
Or perhaps the reason is that, well, this was the BBC... so it probably WAS a shower head!
That would certainly fit the Beeb's style.. :lol:

Though it does beg the question, where on earth did they find a shower head 127cm (50”) long? :mrgreen:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Keeper wrote:
That would certainly fit the Beeb's style.. :lol:

Though it does beg the question, where on earth did they find a shower head 127cm (50”) long? :mrgreen:
For that reason I find it more likely that perhaps one of the creatives just had a brilliant design idea one morning while taking a shower … :wink:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

In the novel adapted from the first four episodes of the radio series, it was described as a sleek white running shoe
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
V12
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by V12 »

And what about Event Horizon ?

Source :
Celestia - http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/fictional.php
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

V12 wrote:
And what about Event Horizon ?

Source :
Celestia - http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/fictional.php

Nope. No way. Not me. Nopers. That's a big negatory there good buddy. Sorry but no no no no no no and no...
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Paradox wrote:
Nope. No way. Not me. Nopers. That's a big negatory there good buddy. Sorry but no no no no no no and no...
So you'll think about it then? :P

Seriously, I can totally see why you wouldn't want to touch that one with the proverbial...

Nice ship V12 but quite a bit of work required there methinks... :shock:
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Redspear wrote:
Paradox wrote:
So you'll think about it then? :P

Seriously, I can totally see why you wouldn't want to touch that one with the proverbial...

Nice ship V12 but quite a bit of work required there methinks... :shock:
All that greeble... :shock: And that middle section... <shudder> It's not really so much the modeling, but the texture mapping... I am having a hard enough time with H.O.G!
Redspear wrote:
Oh, and I nearly forgot :oops:

GREAT job on the Heart of Gold Paradox 8)
Thank you! Now lets hope I can finish skinning it, let alone painting it! };]
Bangbangduck
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Bangbangduck »

I am surprised this classic hasn't been requested..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberator_ ... e%27s_7%29

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorpio_%28Blake%27s_7%29

And

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Zu5xWAjzssU/T ... +Craft.jpg

Finally

http://celestialtoyroom.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -ship.html

Anything drawn by Chris Foss would be a winner to!

I was also going to say Dan Dares ship 'Anastasia'. But having checked up on google it would be woefully small.

EDIT: Your going to tell me there is a Liberator aren't you....

BBD
Do not press this button [O].....Oh Bugger!
Cobra MKIII Grendal's Dam
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Disembodied wrote:
The Eagle Transporter from Space: 1999 would fit in quite comfortably as a low-tech (possibly in-system) hauler:

It's even got its own forum!

http://www.eagletransporter.com/
wow i cant believe nobody even commented on this request.........lets hope someone gives it a go.... lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply