Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

OXP idea - Blockades

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Bugbear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

OXP idea - Blockades

Post by Bugbear »

Got inspiration for this one after reading Cody's Inside Straight.

I've been playing Oolite for at least half a decade now and I've posted the occasional idea from time to time. It's high time I fleshed out one for myself.

Just want a feel for if this is possible (and whether it's been done before)...

An idea that is used in various Oolite fictions is that of a blockade between systems. Is such a blockade possible to execute in-game?

My first draft would be to trigger a compulsory misjump whenever you attempt to travel from System A to System B, and to be truly nasty, once in interstellar space, every subsequent jump to System B would result in another misjump. The only way out would be to jump to any non-B system in range.

The backstory for this would be that as a result of civil war on System B, one of the protagonists have seen fit to prevent reinforcements from System A arriving, and have hacked the witchspace beacons to prevent reliable targetting of witchspace drives.

On writing my description, I realise that it would be possible for the unsuspecting player to strand themselves in interstellar space (especially if they proceed to make the second attempt at jumping to B), so the second draft would be to prevent the blocked jump from occuring in the first place, with some informative message on the screen indicating that their intended way to system B is blocked.

This would certainly add some spice to those haulage contracts when you're only one jump away from your destination, then are forced to take the long way 'round...

So...possible? Already been done?
Commander Bugbear
Cruising chart 5 in a Boa Class Criuser: Quantum Pelican I
Vigilante, trader, gems and precious metals hoarder.
Black Monks bothering performed at no extra charge.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: OXP idea - Blockades

Post by Cody »

You can: force the player to mis-jump, or block their jump, or even divert their jump elsewhere. Possibilities, certainly.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OXP idea - Blockades

Post by Okti »

Trying to reach Oresrati is fun :)
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run