Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Combat and finances

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Combat and finances

Post by jacksy »

Hi guys
I am not the greatest combat pilot and struggle a little with it any tips? Also i am making steady money but what is the best way to make more quickly? I am buying computers/machinery from Leesti and selling to Riedquat. Then buying and food and textiles from Riedquat and selling them to Leesti. This is making me good money but i would like to increase the cash faster

cheers
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Combat and finances

Post by Disembodied »

You're not making the best out of the goods you're taking from Riedquat. There are more profitable Agricultural goods than Food and Textiles ... check what you're paying per canister, and what you're selling them for at the other end.

You should also try to find a route between a Poor Agricultural and a Rich Industrial: that's where the biggest price differentials are to be found.

As for combat: avoid places like Riedquat, until you get better at it! But some general tips:
  • When facing more than one pirate, try to take out the small fry (Mambas, Sidewinders, etc.) first. They can do as much damage to you as a Python, but they die a lot faster.
  • Fit a rear beam laser as soon as you can afford it, and learn how to shoot whilst running away. It lets you keep your distance from pursuing bad guys, and flipping between front and rear lasers means you can keep firing one gun while the other cools down.
  • On which note: fire in short bursts, and make each shot count.
  • Especially in close-quarters combat, vary your speed. You can turn a lot tighter if you slow right down.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Leesti to Riequat is not the best route. You need to explore and find a route between a Poor Agricultural and a Rich Industrial.

Buy Furs and Liquor/Wines from the Poor Agricultural and buy Luxuries and Computers from the Rich Industrial.

Look out for good prices for Platinum, Gold and Gemstones. These are especially good as they don't take up cargo space unless you have over a ton of them. Buy low and sell high.

Dang, ninja'd by Disembodied.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

1. The best profit margins are between systems that are at the opposite ends of the economy spectrum. This would be "Poor Agricultural" and "Rich Industrial" respectively. While Riedquat fits the bill as a "Poor Agricultural", Leesti is only "Poor Industral", therefore you don't get the full possible profit margin. Also, Riedquat is an Anarchy, and therefore fairly dangerous to fly through. There are much safer systems to trade between.

So the first tip is: fly around in Galaxy 1 until you meet a pair of safe systems (Multigovernment or above) with maximum economic spread.
  2. The most profitable commodity to trade from industrial to agricultural is indeed Computers, so you should continue to trade them. The most profitable commodity to trade in the other direction is Furs, with Liquors coming in second. Textiles are only third best, and Food should be avoided once you have enough capital to fill your hold with something else, because it's just too cheap. Even a 100% profit only translates into some measly credits per ton.
  3. Once you have built some capital, you should look into alternative ways of making money: the passenger, parcel, and cargo contract business (available via the F4-screen on main stations) may not look very profitable at first glance, but will pay more handsomely once you have built up a reputation as a contractor. This requires you to make a couple of successful deliveries in time.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

JazHaz wrote:
... they don't take up cargo space unless you have over a ton of them.
I think that should be over 499kg.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

Think i have found a good route between Isonor and Qutiri
Cody

Post by Cody »

jacksy wrote:
Yep, that'll work for a while. Here, have a route-planning tool - very useful.
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

Cody wrote:
jacksy wrote:
Yep, that'll work for a while. Here, have a route-planning tool - very useful.

cheers Cody :) btw what ship should i aim to purchase first?
Cody

Post by Cody »

jacksy wrote:
... btw what ship should i aim to purchase first?
Others may have suggestions, but apart from test-flying many other ships, Commander Cody has only ever flown a Cobra Mk III - it's the dog's cojones!
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

Cody wrote:
jacksy wrote:
... btw what ship should i aim to purchase first?
Others may have suggestions, but apart from test-flying many other ships, Commander Cody has only ever flown a Cobra Mk III - it's the dog's cojones!
lol fair enough
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Seconds Cody's recommendation of the Cobra MkIII.. It's the best all-rounder in the game.
Commander McLane wrote:
the passenger, parcel, and cargo contract business (available via the F4-screen on main stations) may not look very profitable at first glance, but will pay more handsomely once you have built up a reputation as a contractor. This requires you to make a couple of successful deliveries in time.
Ahem.. make that several successful deliveries in time.. just two won't do it.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Seconds Cody's recommendation of the Cobra MkIII.. It's the best all-rounder in the game.
Commander McLane wrote:
the passenger, parcel, and cargo contract business (available via the F4-screen on main stations) may not look very profitable at first glance, but will pay more handsomely once you have built up a reputation as a contractor. This requires you to make a couple of successful deliveries in time.
Ahem.. make that several successful deliveries in time.. just two won't do it.
That's true, and that's what I meant as well. I was using "a couple of" in its informal use as "an indefinite small number", therefore as a synonym to "several".
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

I juts completed a passenger contract for 4K :D It took a hell of a lot of jumps though :(
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

jacksy wrote:
I juts completed a passenger contract for 4K :D It took a hell of a lot of jumps though :(
Persistence with them will pay off.. the Display Reputation OXP can be handy to see how you're progressing.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
jacksy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by jacksy »

Diziet Sma wrote:
jacksy wrote:
Persistence with them will pay off.. the Display Reputation OXP can be handy to see how you're progressing.

I will get that..why are all the jobs, be they parcel or people to places so bloody distant :(