Uninstaller on Windows does not remove entries from Start me

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Uninstaller on Windows does not remove entries from Start me

Post by Diziet Sma »

Moderator: Split Windows installer stuff from Outworld thread about Sourceforge.
Gimi wrote:
One thing that did surprise me (it's been along time since I have used the installer), was that uninstall didn't remove the folder and icons in the Windows start menu.
I did know that it leaves the save-games and AddOns folders intact, and that is fine, but I think it should remove the start menu entries as the actual files they point to are removed.

Is this something I should flag as an issue/bug?
Hmm.. it certainly used to work.. I know, because I duplicated that code back when I first created the "co-existent Trunk Installer"..

Ok.. I've just checked, and the code to remove the Start Menu entries is still in Oolite.nsi:

Code: Select all

; Remove Start Menu entries
RMDir /r "$SMPROGRAMS\Oolite"
So it should be working.. I wonder if this is a Win7/8 thing?

Anyways, if it's not working now, it's definitely a bug.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: The GIMP dumps Sourceforge

Post by another_commander »

Gimi wrote:
One thing that did surprise me (it's been along time since I have used the installer), was that uninstall didn't remove the folder and icons in the Windows start menu.
I did know that it leaves the save-games and AddOns folders intact, and that is fine, but I think it should remove the start menu entries as the actual files they point to are removed.

Yes please. This is a recent Windows version issue (actually not an issue, more like a security thing). In order to delete the Start menu entries we need a manifest supplied to the uninstaller, which at the moment we don't have. I believe I will need to update my NSIS version, as the one used for generating the installers does not support the manifest feature.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The GIMP dumps Sourceforge

Post by Gimi »

another_commander wrote:
Gimi wrote:

Yes please. This is a recent Windows version issue (actually not an issue, more like a security thing). In order to delete the Start menu entries we need a manifest supplied to the uninstaller, which at the moment we don't have. I believe I will need to update my NSIS version, as the one used for generating the installers does not support the manifest feature.
Ok, I'll flag it on GitHub.

Edit: Issue #60 on GitHub
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Uninstaller on Windows does not remove entries from Star

This should be fixed with commit e42842f7b4. If all goes to plan, it should be possible to test the result with tomorrow's nightly (the plan being that Windows x64 nightlies start rolling again as of 11/11).
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
If all goes to plan, it should be possible to test the result with tomorrow's nightly (the plan being that Windows x64 nightlies start rolling again as of 11/11).
<looks up - grins>

Sometimes I forget how beautiful Oolite's own planets are. I've just spent a good while flying around Maraus, fully OXP'ed (but without Povray Planets installed). Then I jumped to Leveti and got slaughtered by a very nasty bunch of bandits - very cool! It's amazing how often Oolite does that to me on the first run of a build.

My thanks to the Admiralty - especially Getafix, I presume - it runs sweet!

These were in the log from the second run - Oolite 1.79.0.5289-131110 (x86-64 test release):

Code: Select all

01:11:15.267 [oolite-populator]: Tried to add pirate-light-freighter but no ships of that role found
01:11:15.355 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("PIRATE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:15.356 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1737.
01:11:15.436 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("SCARCE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:15.436 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1346.
01:11:15.698 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("SCARCE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:15.698 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1346.
01:11:15.705 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("SCARCE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:15.705 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1346.
01:11:15.930 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("PIRATE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:15.930 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1599.
01:11:15.977 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("PIRATE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:15.977 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1599.
01:11:15.986 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("PIRATE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:15.986 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1599.
01:11:16.125 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("PIRATE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:16.125 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1599.
01:11:16.237 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("SCARCE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:16.237 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1419.
01:11:16.240 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("SCARCE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:16.240 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1419.
01:11:16.249 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("SCARCE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:16.249 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1419.
01:11:16.322 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): TypeError: this._addShips(role, 1, pos, 0) is null
01:11:16.322 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1861.
01:11:16.322 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): TypeError: this._addShips(role, 1, pos, 0) is null
01:11:16.322 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1861.
01:11:16.322 [oolite-populator]: Tried to add pirate-light-freighter but no ships of that role found
01:11:16.408 [oolite-populator]: Tried to add pirate-light-freighter but no ships of that role found
01:11:16.440 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("PIRATE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:16.440 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1737.
01:11:16.473 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("PIRATE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:16.473 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1599.
01:11:16.489 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (oolite-populator 1.79): Error: Ship.setCargoType: Invalid arguments ("PIRATE_GOODS") -- expected Can only be used on cargo pod carriers, not cargo pods.
01:11:16.489 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       Resources/Scripts/oolite-populator.js, line 1599.
Probably already known, but hey - I ain't had a nightly for ages!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

So I'm not the only one to get the SCARCE_GOODS and PIRATE_GOODS error messages. I thought it was something to do with OXPs not explictly setting cargo_type = "CARGO_NOT_CARGO"; in shipdata.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

To avoid the errors for now - and to get the full range of opponents - you probably need to try without a shipset OXP (though it shouldn't actually give log errors in that case - I've probably made some unjustified assumptions somewhere)
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

It seems to be one of Griff's shipsets. I can't quite track it down. Then again it could be something else. I'll need to modify the source for the ShipSetCargoType function to give more detailed error messages, i.e. ship object.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

The issue #60 fix may have to wait a day or two. The installer script that builds the nightlies needs to receive the same edit as the one currently in trunk. Patience and you will be rewarded :-).

On a different note, you may have already noticed that the version number reported in the build is something like 1.79.0.5292-131110. This is somewhat different to what we had before and the reason is that git uses hashes instead of incremental version numbers to tag commits. The part reading 5292-131110 is the incremental commit number on github (nothing to do with SVN revisions at this point), plus the build date in format YYMMDD. This way we know which build version we are talking about each time and we can tell whether a version being used to report a bug was generated before or after another version which presumably fixes it.
Cody

Re: trunk nightly

Post by Cody »

cim wrote:
To avoid the errors for now - and to get the full range of opponents - you probably need to try without a shipset OXP
It was late when I installed the nightly, and I forgot to disable Griff's shipset and stations - I'll do that now.

Edit to add: this produces new errors, looking for stuff in resources (I think) - some tinkering with/disabling of my other Griff OXPs may be needed.
The built-in ships look pretty good, btw - cool.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

I've set the default cargo type for items without scanClass CLASS_CARGO to be CARGO_NOT_CARGO. This should fix that error and other related ones.
Cody

Re: trunk nightly

Post by Cody »

<scratches head - continues tinkering with the OXP set> One thing I've seen is Random Ship Names not being applied to all ships - might be a late night, methinks.
At the moment, I've disabled Griff's Replace OXP, but left the Resources OXP enabled, as it seems to disappear a bunch of errors that way.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Just to report that there are none of those cargo-thingy errors now - but watching a miner shouting 'die' and other imprecations at a rock is cracking me up!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Can someone please confirm that the uninstaller problem has now been fixed, so that we can close issue #60?
Cody

Post by Cody »

another_commander wrote:
Can someone please confirm that the uninstaller problem has now been fixed, so that we can close issue #60?
I'm a little confused (not unusual) - when I install trunk, Oolite doesn't create a Start Menu item. I have to create it myself, and pin it to the Start Menu. When I uninstall Oolite, I then have to unpin the link to remove it. Or am I talking at cross-purposes, and not understanding something? It has been a long night.