Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Docking Procedure

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Docking Procedure

Post by capt.Pirk »

Hello, just a thought here.
I reckon it would be a really nice touch to be able to watch your ship dock, when the big "S" appears on screen.
I don't mean externally, but from the helm as usual. What do you think?
It seems a bit abrupt to hit the docking key and be straight in! I'd like to enjoy the view :D

Mindyou, a 3rd person view on docking fly-by would be quite interesting too 8)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That’s what happens if you use the “normal” autopilot docking key, C.
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Ahruman wrote:
That’s what happens if you use the “normal” autopilot docking key, C.
Lol, guess who hasn't red the manual !
Ok, I'm very old school (Electron) and didn't realise this extra functionality :roll:

Next question then, any chance the procedure could be made to look a bit more 'showy' i.e. smooth, sweeping curves (not stopping and lining up like us mere mortals)?

Afterall, a computer should make it look effortless :lol:
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

capt.Pirk wrote:
Next question then, any chance the procedure could be made to look a bit more 'showy' i.e. smooth, sweeping curves (not stopping and lining up like us mere mortals)?
Spline-curve navigation? It's in the working-on-it stage (it's kind of necessary to the growing racing code).
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

aegidian wrote:
Spline-curve navigation? It's in the working-on-it stage (it's kind of necessary to the growing racing code).
Well good luck with that :)
funnily, when I used 'autopilot' mode for docking, I had to smile.
Not only did it abort it's first approach, it scraped the sides of the orbital on its way in second time around :lol:

Frighteningly reminiscent of my own skills! :D
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Docking Procedure

Post by CWolf »

capt.Pirk wrote:
Hello, just a thought here.
I reckon it would be a really nice touch to be able to watch your ship dock, when the big "S" appears on screen.
I don't mean externally, but from the helm as usual. What do you think?
It seems a bit abrupt to hit the docking key and be straight in! I'd like to enjoy the view :D

Mindyou, a 3rd person view on docking fly-by would be quite interesting too 8)
Actually, when using the autopilot docking there should be an External view option, maybe one from the station's pov (it would have cameras)?
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Ironlion45
Average
Average

Post by Ironlion45 »

aegidian wrote:
capt.Pirk wrote:
Don't forget the appropriate docking music, ala 2001 Space Oddyssey (and Frontier).
magamo
Competent
Competent

Post by magamo »

Ironlion45 wrote:
Don't forget the appropriate docking music, ala 2001 Space Oddyssey (and Frontier).
Oolite already as the same tune (A remix of Strauss' Blue Danube Waltz) It first used in the Elite series by... Elite. :)

Currently, you can hear it when you engage a docking computer.
Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

Well, nothing happens when you hit the letterbox (as you would expect since one of the best versions of the game had this), so the whole docking thing for me is a bit of a pointless transition :-)

I know there were valid concerns about how to generate and maintain a list of docked ships in the hangar, but initially it would be cool to just pick some at random. If this annoys the user (the ship that docked before you has vanished), then have hangar numbers so you can imagine that the previous ship got docked to a different level.

So busy atm, but I hope to get back into this project in a few months. Did the customsounds modifications become part of the main branch yet? I still have a fully functional modified version of Oolite on my hdd that uses Amiga sound files.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Agreed on the docking thing, I loved on the Amiga version how it was an actual tunnel to the bay with ships sitting in it. Otherwise at the moment docking is identical to hyperspace...
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

Hyperspace would be nice too. Although the Amiga was also just some concentric rings, the thing I found good about it was that it took about 5 seconds. When you are hyperspacing from a fight you are losing, those 5 seconds are a very peacefull relaxing moment to gather your strength for whatever you have escaped into.

Would it be offensive to the purists to have modern graphics for the hyperspace transition? Something simple though, I found the FFE one to be over the top.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Heh, for a propper old school mad hyperspace thing that took ages as well - Captain Blood! Cannot find a pic at the mo as at work. However it used a very simple set of maths to generate a spectacular effect that changed everytime. It built up, cruised then powered down.

Now it was ott for Elite, however a similar effect but wrapped in a tunnel could be good...

Frantic
Competent
Competent

Post by Frantic »

Could also lock the controls for a second before entering hyperspace, ensuring that the singularity (or whatever) you are openning up is directly in front of you.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

Hmm, that could be good. Maybe have a little vibration at the same time. I was also thinking about the whole Hyperspace effect and the wormhole hitchhiking that we already have...

How come Hyperspace tunnels are purple/pink bands yet the wormhole is a cool blue with a great fringe around the edges, also when another ship hits it there is that great white impact ripple. How about making the whole hyperspace trip like it, have it blue, with that fuzz effect at the edges and the water ripple overtaking us going down the wormhole half way then us overtaking it on the way out, showing us entering witchspace and then escaping it... That make sense?

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Someone's been watching Stargate...

It's a good idea though - the hyperspace tunnel should have a more...interesting look. However, the rings are not actually hyperspace - and neither are they the docking sequence. They're a MemnSomn pattern to ease the subjective experience of the transitions, which can cause motion sickness.