Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Introduce Yourself.

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Re: Introduce Yourself.

Post by Norby »

Welcome here Gecko!

This Ooniverse contain a ship named from you: ;)

Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hi Gecko. Good to have you aboard :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

Welcome Gecko to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat! tm
Gecko wrote:
just want to inform you - there is a new Cpt around :mrgreen:
To comply you now have a new and improved Cpt best ever spruced up, even more haircut, well suited and shiny booted!

Captain on the deck! Looking good in epaulettes ...
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Gouanaco
Competent
Competent

Post by Gouanaco »

Welcome Gecko... I hope you enjoy your stay. Please try some of our oxp guides... for just 4@ credits :D
Commander: Gouanaco
Ship: { Cobra Mark III }
Galaxy: [1]
Legal Status: Clean
Rating: Average (63)
Career: Trader/Bounty Hunter
Cash: 12 956.4@ (credits)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day Gecko! Welcome aboard! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Gecko
Poor
Poor

Post by Gecko »

Salute to you all and thanks for a nice welcome... :)

Well, I am addicted to computer and -games since xmas 1984, after I made myself the xmas-gift of a brandnew Commodore C64. It must have been the end of 1985 when I found Mr. Bells great game. I remember having much fun with my brother, both controlling our Mark III to "Elite"-Status - one at the joysticks, one at the keyboard... :D

Ever since these days I occasionally tried some Elite Versions on Amiga and PC's, but always ended up frustrated. But then I found OOLITE - and instantly I was "back in the thing" again.

I am lacking of a gamepad or joystick, and I am not really prepared to hunt pirates, but I already had 5 kills! (yeah :D) Trading is easy to fully equip the ship - but hunting is hard. Good to have the fuel-injector...

Well, I let you know how I progress ;)

regards
Commander: Gecko
Career: Bounty Hunter
Ship: Cobra Mark III
Galaxy: 2
Legal Status/Rating: Clean/Dangerous
The Society of Bounty Hunters rank me as a well-proven Marshall.
gmkeros
Poor
Poor

Post by gmkeros »

Good Morning,

I have been playing Oolite on and off for two years or so now. There is a lot of on and off in there because I think it was responsible for killing my last notebook's fan.
Right now I am playing on a measly little netbook that likes to break down every third witchspace jump I make, and I am looking forward to buying myself a new computer that finally might be able to play this nice game without any hiccups. Oh, and maybe a new joypad. The one I have right now tends to roll to the right when left unsupervised. Did you notice that they don't actually sell actual joysticks in shops anymore? At least I couldn't find any.

Oh, I never actually played the old Elite, so Oolite is the first one I started. So far I am up to 70 kills, but I am working on that.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi, gmkeros, welcome to the boards! A lot of the old-timers here (me included) play by keyboard, but I know there are plenty who prefer pads and joysticks, and who might be able to give you tips and recommendations on that front.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Welcome, gmkeros.
I hope you can upgrade your computer soon - it sounds like the old one is spoiling the fun a bit! :(
You can still get joysticks. Logitech do a good range, although the one Myself and others around here favour, the Attack 3, seems to have been discontinued unfortunately. Try looking online and I'm sure you'll find something good at a sensible price.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

G'day gmkeros, and welcome aboard! 8)
gmkeros wrote:
I think it was responsible for killing my last notebook's fan.
Right now I am playing on a measly little netbook that likes to break down every third witchspace jump I make
Something I found that made a huge difference was buying a usb-powered laptop cooling fan, like this one:

My Asus laptop typically runs with a CPU temp of 85-95 °C (I've seen it get as high as 97.8!) and the internal fan sounds like a 747 taking off.. but since getting the cooling fan, it runs about 20° cooler, and even under heavy load it now tops out at 85°... much easier on my nerves and ears. :D
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Celt
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Celt »

Yup notebooks generally have a minimalist approach to cooling in order to decrease size and weight. A good external cooler if you are working on a desk is a big benefit. This is why many higher-end laptops now use metal cases instead of plastic (as started by Apple) as hey help dissipate the heat.
1123.6536.5321 - More than a number, it's our home!
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

If you're from the UK I believe PC world still stock joysticks.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
gmkeros
Poor
Poor

Post by gmkeros »

Diziet Sma wrote:
My Asus laptop typically runs with a CPU temp of 85-95 °C (I've seen it get as high as 97.8!) and the internal fan sounds like a 747 taking off.. but since getting the cooling fan, it runs about 20° cooler, and even under heavy load it now tops out at 85°... much easier on my nerves and ears. :D
I actually bought one after my last notebook's fan went. It doesn't help that much if there is no actual internal fan running anymore. It did prolong the time I could play until it died the heat death though.
EAGLE 5
Competent
Competent

Post by EAGLE 5 »

What's up everyone EAGLE 5 here. I made the Amiga soundpack OXP for Oolite back in 06.

With all the recent buzz about Elite Dangeous and other fantastic space sims I went back to the basics and picked up FE2 and Oolite to get ready.

What's new?
Cmdr. EAGLE 5
Hero for Hire
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

Welcome back Eagle 5 I guess some OXPs are new!
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>