Something For The Beer Crowd

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Something For The Beer Crowd

Post by capt.Pirk »

Okay, I've discovered a great way to enjoy Oolite.
First, you must get yourself 3D accel enabled (Linux,Mac,PC) and tv out gfx card (Nvidia,ATi).
Then, output to large TV screen (me? 32" crt, you hdtv??).
Now find a good spacey, ambient internet station ( I use 'streamtuner' app and browse 'shoutcast' listings).
Okay, almost done. Prior to launch from your host orbital station, check life support. Yes, look in the fridge for a healthy supply of Beer canisters and some 'Trilixian Cheese mouse droppings' to munch on ;-P
Now buy and launch.... :lol:

This is good but, here's a sugestion. Would it be possible to relax the docking tolerances just a 'little bit more' ??
I like to approach at 1/4 impulse power and make geostationary corrections at the last minute(ish!) this may lead to a little 'side scraping' ;-) , but hey come on. Keep the flow!... ;-P
Also, please make the corriolis addons standard. These graphical enhancements should be standard feature now! (gritty-coriolis oxp)

Thx
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

So...

You load up on beer and then complain docking is too hard? :lol: :lol:

Just like in real life, man!
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Rxke wrote:
So...

You load up on beer and then complain docking is too hard? :lol: :lol:

Just like in real life, man!
LOL :lol:

Well actually, I start out almost (damn it - I swear definately) able to dock when sober.
Admittedly, it does little (after a fair while) for my reactions but helps dampen the frustration until I pull the plug to go and eat!
:P
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

You make a good point though - I think the default Coriolis skins should be replaced with the gritty coriolis ones.

Beer + docking = salsa.
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Selezen wrote:
You make a good point though - I think the default Coriolis skins should be replaced with the gritty coriolis ones.

Beer + docking = salsa.
Yes, I can't emphasize enough just how much better they look ;-)
Especially how the sun light and shadows are cast as well. I reckon a similar make-over to the ships would seriously add yet more polish too :o
I also think adding the other station types by default would add a nice, welcoming variation
when you near your target system...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I have to admit I've made them standard in my game. If you edit the script and change the name to corralis station (or whatever the default name for the stations is), it replaces 100% of the time.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
ramon
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ramon »

capt.Pirk wrote:
I reckon a similar make-over to the ships would seriously add yet more polish too :o
I'm working on that. :)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

for a partial makeover look for A_H's pimped ships oxp

http://oosat.alioth.net/node/56
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Also try the "rusty ships" (think its mpakredux)

It adds variety, but also if your finding it hard to get started trade in for a rusty Cobra MkIII. The old banger will be a bit slower and have slightly weaker shields, but you'll get a lot of cash back for your factory fresh Cobra allowing you to add the basics like ECM, Docking Computer, large cargo bay beam laser etc and have capital to shift 35 tones of computers / furs in a trade run.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Y'know I love this forum :D
such abundant tips and knowledge, cool 8)

Well I knew bout the rustiy's, but I've had too many crap experiences with real car MOT failures ! lmao
Still, sounds a good option by the sounds of it though.
As it stands, I now have a Weeveloid ship that is really feature packed for the price (cheap skate!) and as such I am currently a inter-planetary taxi driver ferrying all sorts of rogues and vagrants in the process :lol:

Good luck Ramon, I look forward (or is it aft?) to your submissions regarding ships. :wink:

Speaking of makeovers, has anyone else noticed the poor contrast/lighting characteristics of the extra space station oxp's (except gritty)?? Hmm.. I might remove them.. :?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

As a 30 somthing ex-BBC elite player, gotta admit I played the game for about a month without realising that the OXPs would work on a PC.

Then spent a saturday morning downloading, unzipping, installing every OXP on Ooosat1 and 2 (and driving my wife mad)!

If u want variety in the game, the best thing to do is wait until u have an OK ship, then download all the OXPs!
Ironlion45
Average
Average

Re: Something For The Beer Crowd

Post by Ironlion45 »

capt.Pirk wrote:
Okay, I've discovered a great way to enjoy Oolite.
First, you must get yourself 3D accel enabled (Linux,Mac,PC) and tv out gfx card (Nvidia,ATi).
Then, output to large TV screen (me? 32" crt, you hdtv??).
Now find a good spacey, ambient internet station ( I use 'streamtuner' app and browse 'shoutcast' listings).
Okay, almost done. Prior to launch from your host orbital station, check life support. Yes, look in the fridge for a healthy supply of Beer canisters and some 'Trilixian Cheese mouse droppings' to munch on ;-P
Now buy and launch.... :lol:

This is good but, here's a sugestion. Would it be possible to relax the docking tolerances just a 'little bit more' ??
I like to approach at 1/4 impulse power and make geostationary corrections at the last minute(ish!) this may lead to a little 'side scraping' ;-) , but hey come on. Keep the flow!... ;-P
Also, please make the corriolis addons standard. These graphical enhancements should be standard feature now! (gritty-coriolis oxp)

Thx
Under Artical 4077-457 section II of the Galcop penal code, attempting docking or berthing of a spacecraft while under the influence of alcohol or other restricted substances is a felany punishable by immediate intervention by Galcop patrols.

You are in violation commander. Reduce engine speed and lower your shields.

The gritty Coriolis does add atmosphere and variety to the game, but it IS best only as an expansion. If you start throwing in everything that most people think should be in the game, the download for Oolite is going to start being much, much bigger.
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: Something For The Beer Crowd

Post by capt.Pirk »

Ironlion45 wrote:
The gritty Coriolis does add atmosphere and variety to the game, but it IS best only as an expansion. If you start throwing in everything that most people think should be in the game, the download for Oolite is going to start being much, much bigger.
Have you heard of broadband? :twisted:
Come on, ditch dial-up. It's superseeded now..
If your point is disk space, well... :roll: nevermind.

The Coriolis mod isn't large and is a simple, but worthy enhancement to the feel of Oolite.
I'm not suggesting that everything should eventually be added, although if quality tested for story continuity and/or bugs why not..? :o

At the end of the day, Giles & Co will judge what the most relevant and positive additions could be eligible for game inclusion.
Afterall, would Bell/Braben say the same thing about Oolite's enharncements also?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Just burnt a copy of Oolite and all my installed add-ons to CD for my brother (fellow 80s elite-head). Over 200 megs!

He may have a point on dowload times.

The real cleaverness of the design is that u can download the basic game quickly and add the add-ons as u find them.
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

LittleBear wrote:
J
He may have a point on dowload times.
:roll: Find a better ISP/bb deal. It really is that simple..

If space and/or time ( no pun intended) are an issue, you can get emulated versions of original Elite that take very little space (but maybe a lot more time than downloading Oolite).
I routinely download new livecd iso's to try out ( 50mb - 700mb), so I don't consider such points valid unless sat-link is your only option.
Afterall 1Mbit/s or better is the norm these days... :?