Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Recommend me OXPs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Matti
Dangerous
Dangerous

Recommend me OXPs

Post by Matti »

I'm thinking about playing Oolite once again. I'd like to have some recommendations for OXPs. I know few things what I want and what I'd like.

For starters, instead of the all-around Cobra Mk. III, I'd like to start off with cargo hauler. So any OXP out there that changes default ship from Cobra3 to Python or Boa or the like?

I'd like to have some appropriate missions suitable for such cargo hauler. I'd like to have some other sorts of missions available too.

What equipment related OXPs would be best for cargo ships and related missions? I might want carry passengers too...

I played Oolite when Sniper Sight (or Sniper Scope) was new OXP. It was AWESOME! Have anything similar come out since then? What are the differences? What is the best? I'd like to have some AI ships having it too. Any OXP which increases range and accuracy of some (random?) AI ships, but not all of them?

One of the best things in First Encounters game are news papers. I recall news about shortage of medical supplies in one system. So I filled up cargo with medical supplies elsewhere, went to that system mentioned in the news, and sold the goods for hefty profit. Any OXPs with such news features and events?

I want Galactic Navy OXPs. What's the list?

I want some Thargoids too. Any OXPs to go with the Thargoid Wars?

Salvage Gang looks awesome! What other OXPs can you recommend to liven up the space?

I'd like to have more than 1 planet in system, and more than 1 space station in system. What OXPs do you recommend here?

I'd like to have some improved graphics. What do you recommend?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Recommend me OXPs

Post by JazHaz »

Matti wrote:
I'm thinking about playing Oolite once again. I'd like to have some recommendations for OXPs. I know few things what I want and what I'd like.

For starters, instead of the all-around Cobra Mk. III, I'd like to start off with cargo hauler. So any OXP out there that changes default ship from Cobra3 to Python or Boa or the like?
Unless you have a saved game with enough credits to buy a Python, you can't start off with a cargo hauler without cheating. There is a cheaters OXP though it might not be worth having for your situation: [wiki]OoCheat OXP[/wiki]
Matti wrote:
I'd like to have some appropriate missions suitable for such cargo hauler. I'd like to have some other sorts of missions available too.

What equipment related OXPs would be best for cargo ships and related missions? I might want carry passengers too...
The in-built cargo, passenger and parcels missions are fine for cargo ships. Then there is also [wiki]UPS Courier[/wiki].
Matti wrote:
One of the best things in First Encounters game are news papers. I recall news about shortage of medical supplies in one system. So I filled up cargo with medical supplies elsewhere, went to that system mentioned in the news, and sold the goods for hefty profit. Any OXPs with such news features and events?
Look at [wiki]Snoopers[/wiki] and [wiki]BlOomberg Markets[/wiki].
Matti wrote:
I want Galactic Navy OXPs. What's the list?
Start at [wiki]Galactic Navy[/wiki], and also look at [wiki]Behemoth[/wiki], plus Spara's new GalNavy facelift OXP.
Matti wrote:
Salvage Gang looks awesome! What other OXPs can you recommend to liven up the space?
Salvage Gangs are part of [wiki]Anarchies OXP[/wiki]. Spara also has a facelift OXP for Anarchies OXP in production.
Matti wrote:
I'd like to have more than 1 planet in system, and more than 1 space station in system. What OXPs do you recommend here?
For adding planets there are several options here. [wiki] [/wiki]System Redux is one, then there is Deep Horizons Systems too. Probably others. The once you have other planets, Stations for Extra Planets OXP adds stations to those planets.
Matti wrote:
I'd like to have some improved graphics. What do you recommend?
Get a replacement ship set, eg Griff's or Smiv's. Then look at getting a planet set, such as [wiki]PovrayPlanets OXP[/wiki] or [wiki] [/wiki]System Redux.

Then there are HUDs to think about. There are lots of these.
Ranthe
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Paraparaumu, New Zealand (TL 8, Rich Agricultural, Multi-Government)

Post by Ranthe »

And let's not forget [wiki]Random_Ship_Names[/wiki] and [wiki]BGS[/wiki] for overall ambience awesomeness.
Commander Ranthe: Flying the Anaconda-class transport Atomic Annie through Galaxy 2.
Combat Ranking: Dangerous
"Big ships take more booty on your interstellar flights..."
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

[wiki]New Cargoes[/wiki] adds whole new levels of interest and opportunity to trading: it makes this aspect of the game much, much deeper.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Matti wrote:
JazHaz wrote:
Unless you have a saved game with enough credits to buy a Python, you can't start off with a cargo hauler without cheating. There is a cheaters OXP though it might not be worth having for your situation: [wiki]OoCheat OXP[/wiki]
Hmm.. a base-level Python weighs in at 200,000 Cr, which is "only" 50,000 more than a base-level Cobra MkIII.. I could see where a case could be made to add a clapped-out, battered and partially damaged old Python with no missiles and no laser to spara's Start Choices OXP.

What do you think?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

There's always the old Rusties OXP, that makes cheaper, slightly used versions of core ships available.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

That's the ones I was trying to think of.. a Rusties Python as a startup option..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Matti
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Matti »

Thank you everyone for your responses. I've got following OXPs right now:
adcks_galactic_navy_facelift_1.1.5.oxp
Anarchies2.8.oxp
behemoth 2.6.oxp
BlOomberg Markets v2.5.oxp
Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
Famous_Planets_v2.7.oxp
Galactic_Navy 5.4.3.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
griff_station_bundle_fullsize_tex_v1.1.oxp
MilHUD 4000 ver 1.1.2.2.oxp (comes with Sniper Sight)
mPakRedux.oxp
Snoopers2.5.oxp
stations_for_extra_planets_1.2.1.oxp
System_Redux.oxp

Should I get anything else?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Matti wrote:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I've got following OXPs right now:
adcks_galactic_navy_facelift_1.1.5.oxp
Anarchies2.8.oxp
behemoth 2.6.oxp
BlOomberg Markets v2.5.oxp
Cabal_Common_Library1.7.oxp
Famous_Planets_v2.7.oxp
Galactic_Navy 5.4.3.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
griff_station_bundle_fullsize_tex_v1.1.oxp
MilHUD 4000 ver 1.1.2.2.oxp (comes with Sniper Sight)
mPakRedux.oxp
Snoopers2.5.oxp
stations_for_extra_planets_1.2.1.oxp
System_Redux.oxp

Should I get anything else?
Looking good. Since you are using Griff's ships, you might want to get Anarchies facelift oxp to Griffify Anarchies oxp. You can get it from the wiki.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

spara wrote:
Since you are using Griff's ships...
... why not add some of Griff's other OXPs, available from the Individual Downloads link at [EliteWiki] Griff Industries:

Code: Select all

../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_alloys_and_wreckage_V1.4.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_asteroids_normalmapped.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_barrel_alt_with_decals_normalmapped.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_CobraIII_alternate_model-x.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_cobraIII_subent_missiles.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_cobra_mk1_alt.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_elite2_bug.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_gnat_V1.2.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_hognose_v1.21.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_mamba_alt_texture_2013.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff.oxp/griff_WolfMKII.oxp
Especially the Cobra Mk III-alt and the Wolf Mk II - both beautiful ships! Oh, add Cheyd's nav buoy too... and [EliteWiki] BGS.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You may also like to check my catalogue and see if there are any there that appeal.

Links to it are below.
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Thargoid wrote:
You may also like to check my catalogue and see if there are any there that appeal.

Links to it are below.
Ditto.
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Cody

Post by Cody »

Thargoid wrote:
If you like a little extra risk added to your game, I'd highly recommend [EliteWiki] Lazarus from the TMA's catalogue.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Matti
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Matti »

Any cargo ship OXP which would be affordable and available on Lave from get go? Rusties Python maybe...?
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

Matti wrote:
Any cargo ship OXP which would be affordable and available on Lave from get go?
Rocket Miner OXP is defintely a starter ship with 75t maximal capacity, including a savegame to start from Lave.

Can be useful to review your events in the log with LogEvents OXP. It is good to know what happened if you get unwanted things, for example a bounty to your head, a collision or a bug in an OXP.

[EliteWiki] Flight Log OXP and [EliteWiki] Welcome Mat OXP is also maded for you.

[EliteWiki] AsteroidStorm OXP and [EliteWiki] Ore Processor OXP can help money-making from mining.

[EliteWiki] Gates OXP can speed up your travels in advanced stable systems where usually nothing happen.

If you like fair play then install CustomShields OXP to give shields to the pirates and [EliteWiki] Realistic Damage OXP to enable destroying your equipments during your flee. It is only the first step, the second can be the Breakable Standard Equipment OXPs and you will be surely cautious. ;)