Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Didi you play Elite?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Did you play Elite before Oolite?

Yes, I played Elite
86%
No, Oolite is where I started
13%
Other
1%

Total votes: 91

maaarcooose
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Didi you play Elite?

Post by maaarcooose »

I played it loads. I still miss my good old Voltmace joystick for piloting.

!m!
Trading computers and writing stuff....
OOliteInfo: http://www.theramist.co.uk/ooliteinfo/oo.php
beeze
Competent
Competent
Location: Worthing (West Sussex) but currently in Melbourne, AUS

Post by beeze »

Like some others here, I played it on Acorn Electron. 32K machine and it did have limited graphics. i think sun's were there, but planets were lines only, no fill. No missions, thargoids and limited ships. Plus you were stuck in Galaxy 1, since there was a bug preventing jump to G2.

...but it still was the first game I was truely addicted to. I was probably 16 / 17 at the time. I got to "Deadly" state, but try as I might, I never got to Elite status. :cry:

I still have the Electron too.
parazaine
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by parazaine »

I remember playing on the C64 ...I seem to remember there being a competition for the first player to get to Elite....I made it to Deadly, never got as far as Elite back then.

I also seem to remember the C64 version being way easier than the BBC one....pirates always came at you in a diamond formation and more often than not, you could kill them all (with a military laser) before they got within weapon range.

I used to play for hours at a time with 'The Doors' playing in the background.
'Either this wallpaper goes, or I do'

Oscar Wilde's last words
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

parazaine wrote:
Hours, whole days and nights even, on the BBC - and the background music I remember most is Pink Floyd's Animals album.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

parazaine wrote:
I remember playing on the C64 ...I seem to remember there being a competition for the first player to get to Elite....I made it to Deadly, never got as far as Elite back then.

I also seem to remember the C64 version being way easier than the BBC one....pirates always came at you in a diamond formation and more often than not, you could kill them all (with a military laser) before they got within weapon range.

Yes, when you saved your commander the game would spit out a competition number.

Having only played on the C64, I would not know if it was easier than the BBC version. I do know pirates did not always array themselves in any kind of formation. I do know they were more accurate at long range than the modern incarnation that is Oolite. However, due to the meager memory on those old 8 bit computers, you were not confronted with as many pirates at one time. Weapon range in Elite was anything showing on the scanner.

My weekends off from work oft found me immersed in the game. I can confess now that even inebriated, I was a lethal force. Not to be confused with The Force of Star Wars, which is bollocks anyway. Sorry George... No I'm not!
Cmdr Darkstar
Average
Average

Post by Cmdr Darkstar »

I was too young to play it when it first came out, but got it a few years later when Amstrad Action gave it away on their 100th issue.

I played it loads, and then started thinking "how could this be better", so started trying to make my own "space trader" game in BASIC. (Didn't have a clue how to do decent graphics, so concentrated on doing a text-based, turn-based version, with a more detailed trade system - a project I've periodically ressurected ever since).
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Cmdr Darkstar wrote:
I was too young to play it when it first came out, but got it a few years later when Amstrad Action gave it away on their 100th issue.

I played it loads, and then started thinking "how could this be better", so started trying to make my own "space trader" game in BASIC. (Didn't have a clue how to do decent graphics, so concentrated on doing a text-based, turn-based version, with a more detailed trade system - a project I've periodically ressurected ever since).
Cool, this might well lead you to go over the dark side in boffinry and start to make OXPs :D
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
SwissMäc
Competent
Competent

Post by SwissMäc »

Oh yes, the good old days... Primary School at day (useless and boring), playing Elite in the evening except when Star Trek was on TV!
Talking over CB Radio...

And now today, got older and still in Front on a Computer in the evening. :lol:
With all "Star Trek - The Next Generation" Episodes on the Hard Disk Recorder !
Norby
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Budapest, Hungary (Mainly Agricultural Democracy, TL10)

Post by Norby »

I played it on my Commodore +4, this was my first impression of a really great computer game.
OldFartPhil
Poor
Poor

Post by OldFartPhil »

I played Elite on the spectrum and c64 , I also played Elite and all it's sequels on the Amiga - Happy memories :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

From one old Fart to another, Welcome to the Board :D
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
OldFartPhil
Poor
Poor

Post by OldFartPhil »

When I was young.............. :D
Thanks for the welcome m8 , this isn't the first time I've played Oolite but I've not played it for several years 8)
Smithy2501
Competent
Competent

Post by Smithy2501 »

I first played Elite on the ST when i was about 5 and since we had it until about 2002 I revisited it periodically. Never got very far but when I read Drew's books I knew I just had to try out Oolite and that inspired me to dig out my ST emulator and give Elite another go. Still didn't get very far! :)

Cheers,

Smithy
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

I'm sure this question comes up every couple of years! And my answer is the same; I started with Elite on my trusty ZX Spectrum 48k, replete with LensLok... ...yyyeessss... but even that couldn't put me off playing day and night until I reached Elite. Thing was, I was already 36 when all that started, so I should have known better even then!

Soooo... 30 years on, and nothing has really changed... ....except the computer and its keyboard, and the quality of the graphics, oh, and the sound, and monitor, and ... this is getting a bit like the, "what did the Romans ever do for us?" sketch ...
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Cody

Post by Cody »

Star Gazer wrote:
I was already 36 when all that started, so I should have known better even then!
<chuckles> I was only thirty-two when all that started - and I should've known better too.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!