[RELEASE] I-Missile

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Re: [RELEASE] I-Missile

Post by maik »

Take a look at the section "Locating your AddOns folder" of the [wiki]OXP[/wiki] page on the wiki.
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Duggan, check your messages I have sent you a copy of the I-Missile with the changes you wanted.

Hope you manage to find your way around.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Regarding AddOns, as I mentioned the folder all your OXPs live in should be called "AddOns". Follow Maik's link and find out where it should be (or where you should place it if you have to make one), then install all the .oxp folders in AddOns. As far as I know there is not (or should not be) an 'Expansion Pack' folder. The game will probably not recognise such a thing.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Smivs wrote:
Regarding AddOns, as I mentioned the folder all your OXPs live in should be called "AddOns". Follow Maik's link and find out where it should be (or where you should place it if you have to make one), then install all the .oxp folders in AddOns. As far as I know there is not (or should not be) an 'Expansion Pack' folder. The game will probably not recognise such a thing.
The folder is called AddOns indeed. "Expansion Packs" is just the shortcut name appearing in the Start->Programs->Oolite menu. That's the standard Windows installation at least, not sure if Duggan has changed anything manually after installing the game.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Nope, I have not changed anything in the standard windows install :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

Strasnge thing with the AddOns/ Expansion Packs.
Duggan wrote:
Yes that's correct ,my OXPs are kept in the Expansion pack Folder :) I also had to go online for a plist editor as widows did not recognise the file type within oxps.
It is not necessary - use any text editor, but not notepad.
Notepad++ is fine, I use PSPad, any editor, but not notepad.
Duggan wrote:
...windows did not recognise the file type within oxps.
No problem, you can associate them with the text editor of your choice.

In Windows XP this is easily done by checkmarking "always open this filetype with chosen application" (my own translation)
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Strange seeing the shipdata plist for this OXP in XML as I only use openstep, but then it is a strange weapon. I have gotten bounty confirmation while docked many minutes after launching one.

Increasing it's max speed may have some untoward side effects. If the missile launch position for player ship is not located outside of the models bounding box it could impact with your ship shortly after launching. I have removed the I-Missile from my ooniverse and gone back to buying hardheads. I rarely fire missiles anyway and the only times I do is when attacked by groups of pirates and need to chase one particular bad guy away... usually the Asp Mk2 or Fer-de-Lance.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

Yup thems em :)
usually the Asp Mk2 or Fer-de-Lance.
Thankfully Fatleaf has resolved the missile issue for me and I now have a decent missile for 1000g..Just need to be careful not to blow myself up now :mrgreen:
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Missiles can be useful against asps/ferdies, but are still an expensive way of scaring them away. Try giving them a good blast of laser first as that will often have the same effect of making them flee. This is a good use for your aft laser...keep the front cool for any other ship that gets a bit too frisky.
If they are in a group, shoosh them away first, then deal with the others. By the time they return you should have clear skies and cool lasers. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Smivs wrote:
Missiles can be useful against asps/ferdies, but are still an expensive way of scaring them away. Try giving them a good blast of laser first as that will often have the same effect of making them flee. This is a good use for your aft laser...keep the front cool for any other ship that gets a bit too frisky.
If they are in a group, shoosh them away first, then deal with the others. By the time they return you should have clear skies and cool lasers. :)
Sound advice Smivs.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

In the course of doing a little investigation into the I-Missile as the result of a recent query, I noticed a typo (a superfluous 's') in the shipdata.plist.

Code: Select all

has_shield_enhancers = yes;
This should read:

Code: Select all

has_shield_enhancer = yes;
The Wiki says:
has_shield_enhancer

Determines if a ship has the coveted shield enhancer. (enlarges max energy with 256 and raises energy recharge rate with 50%)
Is this even really applicable to a missile? Why not simply specify larger max_energy and energy_recharge_rate values in the first place?
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Quite right, Dizzy. When I first turned to the dark side, I added attributes that should not have been. The Wiki spells out what things can have. Then there is a terrible flaw in the I-Missiles AI: It doesn't check for distance traveled. It can practically go on forever, chasing poor Asps and Ferdies. I'm going to fix this OXP ASAP.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

CaptSolo wrote:
Then there is a terrible flaw in the I-Missiles AI: It doesn't check for distance traveled. It can practically go on forever, chasing poor Asps and Ferdies
That would explain your comment made a bit over a year ago.. :lol:
CaptSolo wrote:
but then it is a strange weapon. I have gotten bounty confirmation while docked many minutes after launching one.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Version 1.1 of this OXP has been uploaded. Change log in the readme file.

Download:
https://www.box.com/s/t2wsmqkdidzkl10p7xl4