Any interest in these?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Which would you like to see in the game?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:00 am

DTT Manta
26%
Prototype 2
11%
Prototype 11
No votes
Prototype 14
11%
Prototype 16
15%
Prototype 17
30%
Prototype 19
7%

Total votes: 27

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Any interest in these?

Post by Thargoid »

My first thought on seeing it was

Who you gonna call?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Thargoid wrote:
Who you gonna call?
Thargoid-busters..... But don't cross the beams. :twisted:
Last edited by Eric Walch on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Thargoid wrote:
My first thought on seeing it was

Who you gonna call?
:lol: :lol: :lol: It's not that boxy!
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

SOMEBODY. SHOOT. ME... I spent the morning tweaking the camera views, but I just kept thinking that I wish they were up just a bit higher, and tilted down a bit more to get the ship centered... I tried different sets from the core ships, but none of them were what I wanted... I mean after all, I just have to get a handle on quaternions right! Don Quixote away! After those pesky quaternion windmills! BANG!!! ouch... Windmills-1, Don Quixote-0. I spent hours surfing the net and youtube looking for some explanation that I could understand...Riiiight... Silly me, I thought, just for a moment, that I was starting to see a flicker in the darkness. A dim candle at the end of the tunnel of understanding...maybe. I started with the forward view... after a few tries with positive/negative signs, SUCCESS! Well, that wasn't so bad! For the rear view, you just swap the +s and -s right? WRONG! At least not quite.. but a few more tweaks, and I GOT IT! However, the glimmer is a bit dimmer now, because to me, the changes were not what I was expecting... But anyways, on to the side views... WHAT THE !@?%? That makes NO sense! But I kept changing numbers and positive and negatives until I finally got the right side where I wanted it.. Now for the left side, surely it's the same and things are just reversed...#$%&*& *^!%#!!!!! I just don't get it... and every time I think I am starting to see it, Don Quixote bites the dust. 4 views, 3 hours... 4 more to go... (top and bottom don't count). The corners almost killed me. I just don't get it... I almost grasped the concept, but even that seems to have eluded me. Trial and error and pure German stubbornness finally got the corners, but I. don't. get. it.

Anyways, all this was to explain why I didn't get the MK-1 uploaded today as I thought I would. Sorry. But it is as done as I am going to be able to get, and I will release it tomorrow. The toothache that is working it's way clear up to my cheekbone isn't helping things either. :(
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

You managed all that, whilst suffering with a toothache? :shock:

Kudos and serious respect..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

The camera view stuff is tricky, i just use the standard view ones in the default shipset and i get the camera positions settings by drawing an 8 sided disc centred around my ship model and scaled up enough to give a good view of the ship, then i make a note of the X and Z coordinate numbers for each of the eight vertices, like this:

I wonder for the more complex camera rotations you might be able to get them from your 3d program, zero out your camera's rotation settings then move it into a suitable place away from the ship, make a note of the position X,Y and Z co-ordinates, then manually rotate the camera view so it points back towards your ship, do this one rotation axis at a time and make a note of each rotation you've just done (there'll be a rotation properties panel somewhere in your 3d program which will tell you how many degrees you've just rotated the camera by), take all of these settings and feed them into a quaternion calculator, there's a great one here somewhere on the boards (i'll be back with a link for it in a moment) or you could use an on-line one eg here: http://www.onlineconversion.com/quaternions.htm - i've not used that one but i suspect it's inputs called 'a','b' and 'c' will correspond to a = heading rotation , b=pitch rotation and c=roll rotation

Ah, the quaternion calculator is in ClymAngus's signature, see this post then follow the link in the sig
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=85623#p85623
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

Griff wrote:
The camera view stuff is tricky, i just use the standard view ones in the default shipset and i get the camera positions settings by drawing an 8 sided disc centred around my ship model and scaled up enough to give a good view of the ship, then i make a note of the X and Z coordinate numbers for each of the eight vertices, like this:

I wonder for the more complex camera rotations you might be able to get them from your 3d program, zero out your camera's rotation settings then move it into a suitable place away from the ship, make a note of the position X,Y and Z co-ordinates, then manually rotate the camera view so it points back towards your ship, do this one rotation axis at a time and make a note of each rotation you've just done (there'll be a rotation properties panel somewhere in your 3d program which will tell you how many degrees you've just rotated the camera by), take all of these settings and feed them into a quaternion calculator, there's a great one here somewhere on the boards (i'll be back with a link for it in a moment) or you could use an on-line one eg here: http://www.onlineconversion.com/quaternions.htm - i've not used that one but i suspect it's inputs called 'a','b' and 'c' will correspond to a = heading rotation , b=pitch rotation and c=roll rotation

Ah, the quaternion calculator is in ClymAngus's signature, see this post then follow the link in the sig
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=85623#p85623
Wings3d can give the camera position, but not sure off the top of my head about the rotations. I will check again later. Will definitely take a look at the calculator later on too. Thank you for that link! Just gotta keep ice on this tooth for a bit...
Diziet Sma wrote:
You managed all that, whilst suffering with a toothache?

Kudos and serious respect..
What is it about a toothache, that you just can't ignore? I have a very high pain tolerance/threshhold (have had to pop my own kneecaps back into place more times than I can count!), but when it comes to a toothache, I just can't tune it out. And when that ache start creeping clear up to your cheek bone and temple...argh! Maybe because it's so close to your brain...? }:]
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Paradox wrote:
What is it about a toothache, that you just can't ignore? I have a very high pain tolerance/threshhold (have had to pop my own kneecaps back into place more times than I can count!), but when it comes to a toothache, I just can't tune it out. And when that ache start creeping clear up to your cheek bone and temple...argh! Maybe because it's so close to your brain...? }:]
So far as I know, it has something to do with the fact that your face (and hands) have as many nerve-endings as the rest of your body put together.. hence they're the most sensitive to pain..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied