Firing all lasers at once

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Firing all lasers at once

Post by mandoman »

Is it possible to make it so a player ship can fire all lasers at once, when it is desired?
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: Firing all lasers at once

Post by Thargoid »

Nope, you can only fire (manually) in the view that you are in. Lasers can't be triggered by scripting.
Paradox
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Paradox »

In other words, no Death Blossom for you Starfighter! };]
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

In the spirit of improving Oolite beyond it's Elite origins, it may well be time for the player-selected weapons and player-selected views to be properly separated, but this would need a fairly major code change.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

I was afraid of that. I have a ship in mind that could possibly take on a whole Thargoid unit at once, but even it would poop out eventually. I don't know anything about the logistics of separating the views from the lasers, but I can sure see the advantage. :twisted:

It was just a thought. :)
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

aegidian wrote:
In the spirit of improving Oolite beyond it's Elite origins, it may well be time for the player-selected weapons and player-selected views to be properly separated, but this would need a fairly major code change.
Sounds intriguing.. I vote 'yes'.. 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Interesting idea. Though perhaps I'm missing something- how is one to aim lasers that aren't in the active view?
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Thermonuklear
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Thermonuklear »

CommRLock78 wrote:
Interesting idea. Though perhaps I'm missing something- how is one to aim lasers that aren't in the active view?
Roll like crazy while you're shooting; Giant buzzsaw of death obliterating everything in its path!
[ELITE: Station Run]
Selezen's excellent boardgame needs playtesters!
---
My youtube channel: Oolite, old games and underground metal music!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Given how fast the lasers overheat, you'd need to up the roll-rate considerably..

Maybe someone could write a 'Deathblossom' OXP! :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Thermonuklear wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
Roll like crazy while you're shooting; Giant buzzsaw of death obliterating everything in its path!
I see - I suppose it could work, but as Dizzy says, it might require a tweak of the ship's roll.

Deathblossom <chuckles>
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
Wyvern Mommy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wyvern Mommy »

if someone finds a way to do that, it should be called the "overheat laser OXP".
my guess is that's all it'll do, with minimal effect on the enemies, if any. it would be lucky to hit any target at all before the lasers overheat, even if the targets are -all- in eminent collision distance. and even military lasers usually need more than one hit to destroy a target.

what -might- work is to hand over attitude control to the targeting computer, which would then turn the ship to the nearest target and shoot at it till destruction or laser overheat. in the latter case, cycle to the next laser and fire at the nearest target till overheat and so on.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I can confirm that - I've tried something similar before as an experiment using spawned entities with lasers and also "missile-like" projectile weapons. Unless the thing you're trying to hit is basically parked on your hull then the chances of actually hitting anything are minimal.

There is already I think an OXP which aims the ship at the current locked-on target? But it seems to me like the whole idea would rather take away one of the major points of playing the game. Combine this with some of the auto-trading OXPs and you may as well just let the computer play the whole game whilst you go off and do something else.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Thargoid wrote:
I can confirm that - I've tried something similar before as an experiment using spawned entities with lasers and also "missile-like" projectile weapons. Unless the thing you're trying to hit is basically parked on your hull then the chances of actually hitting anything are minimal.
Well, it would be pretty devastating if you were inside the target.