Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Vampire's

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Vampire's

Post by Rogue7414 »

Yesterday I was going through the new ship OXP's and I thought I'll grab me a handful of ships and stick them in the add ons folder and add even more ships to the game. I saw the three Vampire OXP's and after having a look thought yes these will do nicely, I'll have them. So I start sliding all the OXP's over to the add on file and when it comes to the Vampire files they're not in an OXP format just individual files and when opened there's no OXP's in there to move to the add on folder. Now I'm making no apologies for how bloody stupid and crap I am when it comes to tech stuff, this sort thing included, hell I can't even link one thread to another and wouldn't know where to start but shouldn't a file that is an OXP have and OXP folder to work?? :?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Vampire's

Post by another_commander »

Not bug report related, moved to Expansion Pack.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Are you on a mac by any chance and using Safari? I remember that with some zipped oxp files, the .oxp extension is also removed during auto-unzipping. In that case it is enough to add an '.oxp" extension to the outer folder.

If you configure Safari to "not automatically open trusted files", your file will stay zipped after download. If you than double click it, it will expand correctly. I have it also with some combination of punctuation in foldernames resulting in missing last part of folder names. (e.g. it always happens with the format Thargoid uses). When the system unzips them instead of Safari, the problem is gone.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

I downloaded those ships (and others by the same person) a couple weeks ago to try them out and I recall that some of them did not have an actual OXP folder. I simply created an OXP folder myself then unzipped the files into that.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

They are by Killer Wolf, aren't they?

Yep, he gave up on distributing properly wrapped OXPs, because it somehow defeated him. So you have to take the necessary subfolders and create the OXP yourself.

And, by the way, where is he? Haven't seen him in a long time.
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent
Location: Edinburgh U.K., Bloody worthless industrial, Dictatorship, Tech Level 7.

Post by Rogue7414 »

Sorry for the late reply to this thread, I hadn't realised it had been moved and thought no one had replied. :oops:

Eric, I'm using an Acer Laptop so it's not that problem.

Keeper and Commander McLane, ok how do you create an OXP folder? :?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Rogue7414 wrote:
how do you create an OXP folder? :?
It should just be a matter of putting ".oxp" at the end of the folder name. I think.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Disembodied wrote:
Rogue7414 wrote:
how do you create an OXP folder? :?
It should just be a matter of putting ".oxp" at the end of the folder name. I think.
That's pretty much it. The containing folder that goes into AddOns is something.oxp. The .oxp extension is the thing that makes it work.
Inside that are all the other folders - Config, Models, Textures, Scripts etc.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent

Post by Rogue7414 »

Alright guys I'll give it a shot tomorrow and I'll report back on hopefully success and not failure. :D
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent

Post by Rogue7414 »

Ok I think I've done it, I turned the folder into an OXP folder and put it in the add ons section of Oolite, so far no Vampires but no crashes either!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Rogue7414 wrote:
Ok I think I've done it, I turned the folder into an OXP folder and put it in the add ons section of Oolite, so far no Vampires but no crashes either!
Fingers crossed :)
Check your log - if the OXP is working there should be no errors and it should appear in the list of OXPs in the log.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Keeper
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Keeper »

As I recall there isn't a "the folder" to change; you just have to make a folder named anything.oxp and put the contents of the zip in there.
Rogue7414
Competent
Competent

Post by Rogue7414 »

Well guys thanks for your help on this one, I now have Vampires flying about the place and I've already splashed two of them. Say is the red one supposed to be a stealth one? I've come across two of them now one was a pirate so he got vaped pretty quick the other well I've no idea what he was ship was there in my main view but not on the scope, like the pirate one. :shock:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Rogue7414 wrote:
Well guys thanks for your help on this one, I now have Vampires flying about the place and I've already splashed two of them. Say is the red one supposed to be a stealth one? I've come across two of them now one was a pirate so he got vaped pretty quick the other well I've no idea what he was ship was there in my main view but not on the scope, like the pirate one. :shock:
Don't know if that's an intended feature, but 'real' vampires can't be seen in mirrors, so might not appear on the scanner?
BlackWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by BlackWolf »

Trying to gather ships from the novels to add to my game.
Was wondering if there is a way to remove the built-in HUDs for these ships.
I rather like the HUD I have and would rather not have it change when picking up one of these.
Any ideas?
Creativity is a gift, use it well.