Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Clearing Offender/Fugitive Status?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Clearing Offender/Fugitive Status?

Post by Hans Olo »

How do you legitimately clear offender/fugitive status? I've edited the save file before but I feel like that takes some of the pleasure out of the game. Personally I'd rather pay the fine.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Re: Clearing Offender/Fugitive Status?

Post by Disembodied »

Hans Olo wrote:
How do you legitimately clear offender/fugitive status? I've edited the save file before but I feel like that takes some of the pleasure out of the game. Personally I'd rather pay the fine.
Hi Hans, welcome to the boards! You can legitimately clear your criminal record by jumping to a new system (a high criminal rating will take several jumps to clear); by ejecting from you ship (I think - although this might have changed); and by jumping to a new galaxy. Sometimes you can get fined and made to do some community service (usually, cleaning up after the Craboids), although I don't know what's required to trigger this as I'm too nauseatingly goody-goody to have ever got on the wrong side of the Law (except once, a long time ago, and anyway we're not talking about me ...). But someone with more experience of these things, with a more elastic morality, will no doubt be along shortly to fill in the blanks!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Disembodied wrote:
But someone with more experience of these things, with a more elastic morality, will no doubt be along shortly to fill in the blanks!
Ha! I have plenty of experience of these things, but my in-game morals are very far from elastic!
However, I'll not fill-in the blanks - those tricks-of-the-trade are there to be discovered.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hans Olo wrote:
...offender/fugitive status...
Ha, you must have shot first! :wink: :)
Welcome to the Board.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

El Viejo wrote:
Ha! I have plenty of experience of these things, but my in-game morals are very far from elastic!
However, I'll not fill-in the blanks - those tricks-of-the-trade are there to be discovered.
Well, perhaps you're right: "morality" isn't necessarily the issue here - more a willingness to scamper gleefully back and forth across society's lines and limits ... but in any case, there's at least one more way for those who find themselves on the Naughty Step to get back into GalCop's good books. It's a rough old universe, and everybody needs a bit of assistance from time to time. One hand washes the other, and all that. You help someone out, they might help you out too: stands to reason, don't it?
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

I have a shady past and would like to think that those days are behind me. I got this latest criminal status without doing anything 'immoral', per-say. I was swarmed by thargoids on a mis-jump and had to use an energy bomb. There just happened to be a Navy Frigate in the area, but whatever, frigates are big. I may have attacked a couple freighters seeing as I was already a criminal though :?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sorry.. but with that screen-handle, I just have to ask.. do you, perchance, fly a Falcon? :mrgreen:

Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
metatheurgist
Competent
Competent

Post by metatheurgist »

Hans Olo wrote:
I was swarmed by thargoids on a mis-jump and had to use an energy bomb. There just happened to be a Navy Frigate in the area, but whatever, frigates are big. I may have attacked a couple freighters seeing as I was already a criminal though :?
"Yes, Officer, I indiscriminately used a weapon of mass destruction in a populated area. C'mon, you're booking me for that?! They were NAVY frigates, I thought they could take it! Geez, this is just harrassment! Yeah, then I shot up some traders, but it's not my fault, I was already a criminal!" - videobyte from GALCOPS, a new reality TV show following the exploits of local viper pilots. :lol:
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Sorry.. but with that screen-handle, I just have to ask.. do you, perchance, fly a Falcon? :mrgreen:

No, I don't, I have a cobra mk III.

However, I would be most interested. Where do you get that? It's not in the star wars ships OXP
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

metatheurgist wrote:
Hans Olo wrote:
I was swarmed by thargoids on a mis-jump and had to use an energy bomb. There just happened to be a Navy Frigate in the area, but whatever, frigates are big. I may have attacked a couple freighters seeing as I was already a criminal though :?
"Yes, Officer, I indiscriminately used a weapon of mass destruction in a populated area. C'mon, you're booking me for that?! They were NAVY frigates, I thought they could take it! Geez, this is just harrassment! Yeah, then I shot up some traders, but it's not my fault, I was already a criminal!" - videobyte from GALCOPS, a new reality TV show following the exploits of local viper pilots. :lol:
Yeah, that's pretty much how it went down. :)

I downloaded the Bounty Status OXP and watched my bounty go gradually down to zero. Now I am clean! Whaddya know. I guess you just have to wait and abide by the laws for a while.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Hans Olo wrote:
Where do you get that?
Here.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

El Viejo wrote:
Hans Olo wrote:
Where do you get that?
Here.
And then check out the discussion starting here to see how to enable the turrets on the player version, as well as a few other tweaks to improve playability.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Hans Olo
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Hans Olo »

Oh, cool! Didn't see that as an option. Thanks! Time to start saving up! :wink: