Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[Release] Market Observer

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: [Release] marketObserver 2.0.1

Post by Thargoid »

I've also no big issue if you want to take the functionality into this OXP and I'll then maybe retire CM. It was done originally just as a test of what was possible that I thought may be interesting to some others who may want a little more challenging and realistic trading.

I did see the original request in the CM thread, but as Spara says he had already done a lot of good work on this area anyway plus if I added more screen candy to CM it would then also end up incompatible with the other trading screen OXPs which wasn't what I wanted.

So for me it can stay as it is or CM can get folded into market observer. It's not like I'm short of OXPs to maintain :wink:
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

@Thargoid: ATM I'm happy the way things are now. I have no desire to put CM into the core mO because it changes the game so much. If it was integrated, then I would default it off and those who want it could turn it on. And we all know how much users read instructions or change variables from script or through OXPconfig. Those are for advanced users. This would mean that CM part would pretty much go unnoticed :(. Better to have it as a separate oxp. That's easier for users, I think.

But as an installable plugin to marketObserver, that's a different story. Have to think about that. Would make things codewise easier. And with the rate I'm putting out updates, the first version is probably done by tomorrow :lol:.
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

spara wrote:
And with the rate I'm putting out updates, the first version is probably done by tomorrow :lol:.
You are too fast! :wink: (but better than too slow!!)
:lol: I stopped downloading your upgrades on version 1.8, because since 1.5 :!: I had no time to play and therefore never even had your new versions running!!! :lol:

I'll download the latest version when I got a little time for playing again :D I'm really looking forward to see it!! :mrgreen:
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

GGShinobi wrote:
:lol: I stopped downloading your upgrades on version 1.8, because since 1.5 :!: I had no time to play and therefore never even had your new versions running!!! :lol:
:shock: Version 1.5 was dated 2013-02-08. You haven't played the game in two and a half weeks! Have you joined the Anonymous Ooliters? :lol:
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

spara wrote:
GGShinobi wrote:
:shock: Version 1.5 was dated 2013-02-08. You haven't played the game in two and a half weeks! Have you joined the Anonymous Ooliters? :lol:
Not playing for more than 4 days may be considered mutiny in some systems, especially Sol!
GGShinobi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by GGShinobi »

JeX wrote:
spara wrote:
GGShinobi wrote:
Not playing for more than 4 days may be considered mutiny in some systems, especially Sol!
:? That's about the time when I started working on the ERS...

I want to release a beta version so that you folks can provide me with ship compatibility lists and bug reports, while I test-fly the newly released Comet! :P

But "darn", now the comet is out before I finished my beta version... :? What am I supposed to do now?? :lol:
忍 knowing that enough is enough, you'll always have enough.

Running Oolite 1.77 on Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

GGShinobi wrote:
I want to release a beta version so that you folks can provide me with ship compatibility lists and bug reports, while I test-fly the newly released Comet! :P

But "darn", now the comet is out before I finished my beta version... :? What am I supposed to do now?? :lol:
You're supposed to take a short break from the Dark Side and go scratch your Comet itch.. get it out of your system.. :lol:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Ok. So tried out 2.01 last night and got the same issue as reported yesterday.

Using AI Assistant OXP 2.6.1 (I think, the latest one at the time of writing), Moral Relativism AI Assistant, and YAH OXP.

oolite-009 by magnuha, on Flickr

As you can see, there's some weird funky stuff with minimum, average and maximum prices, as well as the actual prices on the station.
1.77 Oolite, Windows 7, 64-bit.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JeX wrote:
Ok. So tried out 2.01 last night and got the same issue as reported yesterday.

Using AI Assistant OXP 2.6.1 (I think, the latest one at the time of writing), Moral Relativism AI Assistant, and YAH OXP.

oolite-009 by magnuha, on Flickr

As you can see, there's some weird funky stuff with minimum, average and maximum prices, as well as the actual prices on the station.
1.77 Oolite, Windows 7, 64-bit.
This looks like it's the first time this oxp is run, so there not much market data gathered yet. If this is the case, you'll need to visit a couple of stations for data to start building. And the more stations you visit, more market data you gather.
JeX
Competent
Competent

Post by JeX »

Come again? How does data gathered have an influence on why the actual market prices are equal to the market average prices?

Should I then expect them to change on my next docking?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

JeX wrote:
Come again? How does data gathered have an influence on why the actual market prices are equal to the market average prices?

Should I then expect them to change on my next docking?
At start the oxp only sees the prices of the station you are docked, so it initializes min, avg and max to those prices. Next time you dock to somewhere else (or witchspace to another system), it sees those prices and updates min, avg and max accordingly. The idea is that it starts gathering market data instead of knowing the hard coded values of the game. This hopefully gives you a feeling of a more dynamic galaxy.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

I triggered this error when arriving in interstellar space:
17:07:32.250 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (market_observer 2.0.1): TypeError: system.mainStation is null

A minor error, but figured you'd want to know.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Switeck wrote:
I triggered this error when arriving in interstellar space:
17:07:32.250 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType]: ***** JavaScript exception (market_observer 2.0.1): TypeError: system.mainStation is null

A minor error, but figured you'd want to know.
Thanks for this one. Haven't done much interstellar spacing recently. I'll fix it probably this evening.

While I'm fixing stuff, I've been looking into simplifying mO and writing my own version of Commodity Markets. It would depend on mO to work.

1. Is someone using the $noteOxpPrices variable, or can it be removed as redundant? That variable controls whether oxp stations' prices should be included in mix-max gathering or not. At the moment it defaults to true, and this change would make it permanent.

2. Is someone using the $writeOff variable, or can it be removed as redundant? That variable controls whether lost cargo should be deducted from profits when docking main station. At the moment it defaults to true, and this change would make it permanent.

3. Is someone using the $traderRankFeat variable, or can it be removed as redundant? That variable controls the trader's rank calculations and ratings feature. At the moment it defaults to true, and this change would make it permanent. It could also be an external oxp, that would depend in mO to work.

4. If I re-wrote the CO, I would make it to affect all stations as opposed to the original, tht only affects the main stations. Making my own version would also make the original incompatible with mO. If you are using CO and mO, how does this sound?
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

spara wrote:

While I'm fixing stuff, I've been looking into simplifying mO and writing my own version of Commodity Markets. It would depend on mO to work.

1. Is someone using the $noteOxpPrices variable, or can it be removed as redundant? That variable controls whether oxp stations' prices should be included in mix-max gathering or not. At the moment it defaults to true, and this change would make it permanent.

2. Is someone using the $writeOff variable, or can it be removed as redundant? That variable controls whether lost cargo should be deducted from profits when docking main station. At the moment it defaults to true, and this change would make it permanent.

3. Is someone using the $traderRankFeat variable, or can it be removed as redundant? That variable controls the trader's rank calculations and ratings feature. At the moment it defaults to true, and this change would make it permanent. It could also be an external oxp, that would depend in mO to work.

4. If I re-wrote the CO, I would make it to affect all stations as opposed to the original, tht only affects the main stations. Making my own version would also make the original incompatible with mO. If you are using CO and mO, how does this sound?
If it is a re-write ( v3 :twisted: ) then API incompatibilities with previous versions are usually expected, although some sort of legacy system would help with a smooth transition until you can remove it.

Put some code into the startup that checks if those variables have been defined and if so raise a warning on the console (and log) explaining that they are ignored (refer to the readme).

Example

Code: Select all

if (typeof(this.$writeOff) !== "undefined") this.$raiseWarning("$writeOff");
I expect to be flamed for that sorry excuse of an example. 8) Just realised that I have been up all night. Finally got my sorry ass out of Galaxy 1.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Tricky wrote:
... Finally got my sorry ass out of Galaxy 1.
[temporary_derail] :shock: :lol: - I'm surprised you haven't gone to another galaxy yet - congratulations :D. Sooner or later every Jameson should leave G1 for a while and see what's out there 8). [/temporary_derail]
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'