Interrupted hyperspace & fuel

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Interrupted hyperspace & fuel

Post by Diziet Sma »

It can also be helpful to remember that if the jump is interrupted, you'll exit the wormhole at the jump midpoint. A look at the map before jumping will give you an idea of where you'd be likely to pop out, and judge the likelihood of being able to make it to an alternate "safe" point on your remaining fuel, should that occur.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Diziet Sma wrote:
It can also be helpful to remember that if the jump is interrupted, you'll exit the wormhole at the jump midpoint.
Worth noting that although you'll have travelled half the distance, the time taken will be 75% of the original jump duration.
For example: a 4ly jump will take 16 hours, but if broken, it will take 12 hours to reach midway (I think I've got that right).
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Malacandra
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Malacandra »

El Viejo wrote:
Diziet Sma wrote:
It can also be helpful to remember that if the jump is interrupted, you'll exit the wormhole at the jump midpoint.
Worth noting that although you'll have travelled half the distance, the time taken will be 75% of the original jump duration.
For example: a 4ly jump will take 16 hours, but if broken, it will take 12 hours to reach midway (I think I've got that right).
This kinda works out fair since it will then take the remaining 25% of time to travel the remaining 50% of the distance (which is as it should be). Otherwise I guess, if fuel weren't an object, you could make long jumps faster by deliberately misjumping, beating the Thargoid ambush, and then completing the second half of the jump; like breaking up a long jump into shorter ones the normal way, but without the inconvenience of needing a star system at the halfway point to jump to. :D
"Sidewinder Precision Pro" and other Oolite fiction is now available for Amazon Kindle at a bargain price.

Sidewinder Precision Pro ||Claymore Mine ||The Russian Creed ||One Jump Ahead

All titles also available in paperback.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<nods>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!