Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Captain's Log

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Captain's Log

Post by Eric Walch »

Halfhand wrote:
I just tried to search for [RELEASE] in "Expansion Pack" topic titles and the bb reported the following....Perhaps this tip from the forums at phpbb.com might help.
No. search options in this type of bbs are just bad. When you need more complex searches better use a search engine, like Google and ask to only search in a specific site. e.g.

Code: Select all

site:aegidian.org [release]
That gives 12.400 results (0,27 seconden). And that is only in this site. Seeing that number, it is indeed common, apparently we do release o lot of new work. :lol:

Actually an even more specific search for

site:aegidian.org/bb [release]
is better and reduces the hits to 8.740 results (0,29 seconden)
PhantorGorth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by PhantorGorth »

CommRLock78 wrote:
I like this idea, especially of trading history. And something more long-term would be great; I've been using Flight log for a while (which I just updated from 1.03 to 1.06 :)), but a real history of activity would be awesome. It could even be, as I think Ozhank is suggesting, written to an external file that could be easily read and reviewed :D.
Displaying this sort of data is exactly where I am going with my interactive map. OXPs would save data to latest.log and/or save game and my map would pick it up and display it. I better get on and finish it then :-)
Chat and relax with other commanders in the [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/oolite]DS's Seedy Space Bar[/url]. The Coolest Bar in the Eight.

Phantor's OXPs: [EliteWiki] GalCop Rewards and [EliteWiki] Safe Docking
Halfhand
Competent
Competent

Post by Halfhand »

Thanks for that reminder Eric, i actually have Diziet Sma's browser extension installed as well :oops:
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Wildeblood wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
I like this idea, especially of trading history. And something more long-term would be great...
You know that the current version of Trading Assistant keeps running tallies of every cargo pod you buy or sell, forever?
I was not aware of this. I think it's time to check out this OXP :).
cim wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
The game (and especially the JS-scripting engine) will never be allowed to write anything externally, except for the logs.
...and, to be picky, screenshots and saved games. You could stick the data in mission variables, and read the savegame with an external tool into another application, for instance.
I was wondering why snapshots and game saves hadn't been mentioned as files that Oolite writes ;).
PhantorGorth wrote:
CommRLock78 wrote:
I like this idea, especially of trading history. And something more long-term would be great; I've been using Flight log for a while (which I just updated from 1.03 to 1.06 :)), but a real history of activity would be awesome. It could even be, as I think Ozhank is suggesting, written to an external file that could be easily read and reviewed :D.
Displaying this sort of data is exactly where I am going with my interactive map. OXPs would save data to latest.log and/or save game and my map would pick it up and display it. I better get on and finish it then :-)
:shock: - wow, I didn't know your plans for the Interactive Map were that ambitious - awesome!

<Going to check out the trading assistant oxp>
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Smivs wrote:
Re the two you mention, the Super Sidewinder is not listed although its author, UK_Eliter, apparently did list it but it looks to have been a test release and may no longer be available.:
I think my Super Sidewinder is listed there - in the main OXP list (as Vs the test list). :)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Eric Walch wrote:
When you need more complex searches better use a search engine, like Google and ask to only search in a specific site. e.g.

site:aegidian.org [release]
That gives 12.400 results (0,27 seconden). And that is only in this site. Seeing that number, it is indeed common, apparently we do release o lot of new work. :lol:

Actually an even more specific search for

site:aegidian.org/bb [release]
is better and reduces the hits to 8.740 results (0,29 seconden)
<chuckles>

You do like doing it the hard way, Eric.. you know my plugin does that, automatically. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
You do like doing it the hard way, Eric.. you know my plugin does that, automatically. :wink:
That plugin worked great on the previous version of safari, but had bugs with the current one. In the mean time the new plugin 'CustomSearch' was released for Safari. That works even better because it is easier to configure and also has a button of its own in the bar.

And, from educational point of view, it is always better to start the hard way. :wink:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Eric Walch wrote:
That plugin worked great on the previous version of safari, but had bugs with the current one. In the mean time the new plugin 'CustomSearch' was released for Safari. That works even better because it is easier to configure and also has a button of its own in the bar.
Would you mind adding a small write-up on using the CustomSearch plugin to that thread, please? :)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Would you mind adding a small write-up on using the CustomSearch plugin to that thread, please? :)
Like this one :wink: :wink: :wink:
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks! 8)
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Thargoid wrote:
The main problem with this type of OXP is working out how to fit it all (and indeed what to fit) on the screen and still make it usable and worthwhile. That's why in Flight Log I limited what was stored/displayed and the number of past systems to 10.

If you end up in a big furball then you'll have a lot of kills, and if you store each one along with its individual bounty then you'll end up with several screenfulls and it gets complex to show it all.
So any event that gets logged gets a time-stamp and a priority code. You log each alertConditionchanged with its level 0-3. During red alerts you also log additional events with higher priority numbers above 3. So shipBeingAttacked is code 4, launchTheEscapePodBob is code 9 etc.

For display you list each of the alert level changes between 0 and 3 with their time-stamps, and give the player the option to select any code red event. If the player selects one, the screen gets replaced with one showing the detailed log of that event. You know how many lines you want to display for a screenful, so you start with the highest priority events - the code 9s - and list all those, and if you don't have a screenful you include the code 8s as well, if you still don't have a screenful you include the code 7s too... until you have one screenful of text describing the code red event, which you display.