Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

What type of new ships would people like to see as OXPs

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: What type of new ships would people like to see as OXPs

Post by Cody »

Shipbuilder wrote:
... the escape pods that I have been working on I do intend to expand this OXP over time with additional models. The next escape pod model I have in mind is based on something that you could imagine detaching from one of the core ships i.e the cockpit section.
Cool... I like your escape pods, and more variety would be very welcome.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I agree that capital ships shouldn't be flyable, I was after seeing more NPC larger ships. 8)

BTW where the f**k did you find that ship with breasts? :shock:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

You leave Nell alone.

She's from Battle Beyond The Stars btw. A weird little movie that's so bad it's quite good. Even had George Peppard and Robert Vaughn in it, plus a girl with seemingly anti-gravity breasts.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Ah...just read up on it, sounds eighties-erific! :lol:

But anyway, before I derail yet another thread, I would also like to see other alien ships in the ooniverse. The Thargoids are cool and everything, but it would be nice if there was another threat out there in interstellar space. :mrgreen:
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Pleb wrote:
...I would also like to see other alien ships in the ooniverse.
You won't have to wait long, honest! :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Smivs wrote:
Maybe what we really need is more variety in areas like these, and cargo pods and even more asteroids etc.
One idea I have been thinking about is escape pod/cargo canister sized pieces of ship wreckage on the lines of engines, pieces of fuselage etc. Basically the aftermath of some previous battle which can be scooped and sold at stations.

Perhaps these items could be classed usually as alloys but much more rarely machinery.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

Shipbuilder wrote:
Smivs wrote:
Maybe what we really need is more variety in areas like these, and cargo pods and even more asteroids etc.
One idea I have been thinking about is escape pod/cargo canister sized pieces of ship wreckage on the lines of engines, pieces of fuselage etc. Basically the aftermath of some previous battle which can be scooped and sold at stations.

Perhaps these items could be classed usually as alloys but much more rarely machinery.
Or sold to salvage gangs? That'd explain where they get their most crappy stuff from :D
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

Pleb wrote:
The Thargoids are cool and everything, but it would be nice if there was another threat out there in interstellar space. :mrgreen:
There are the Manchi...
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

And also the Cylons though technically they are not alien but robotic.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Cylon_Raider_Mark_1

ozhank
Competent
Competent

Post by ozhank »

I've not been playing long, but I have a lot of ship oxp's installed. I enjoy flying past and seeing them in space. I had liners in, but it was making the game too slow on coming out of witchspace. I think some more alien ships would be good as NPC's.

Last night I was jumped by a Thargoid warship as I came out of witchspace. Luckily in 1.77, I can already be using the torus drive and so I was able to avoid the missles and come back around to launch my own. I've flown most of the player ships - I've had to think of a lot of commander names - but I keep coming back to a Falcon-S.

It's fast enough, handles well, has enough cargo space to make money to support my habits of cargo/passenger, as well as enough fire power to be a match for whatever I've come up against. It fits into all docks, and being a bit of a Star Wars (am I allowed to mention this tm here?) fan, it is a good alternative world to participate in for a few hours every so often. The hints I found in another thread about getting the turrets working and adding a scoop camera have made it a much better ship.

I have thought about modding the oxp to add repair system like available on the caduceus. Or even a new oxp probably named mulga or brigalow - both deadly, aggressive snake that live in my neck of the woods.
"Blessed are the cracked, for they let the light shine in". Spike Milligan

Debian 9.* XFCE4 on Toshiba Laptop
tonyhippy
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by tonyhippy »

I'd like to see more mystery ships/objects that behave oddly, look enigmatic and may or may not be hostile, friendly and may be dockable with unusual trade goods.....with no "spoilers" on the Wiki to tell you what to expect.
Personally, I like a large variety of ships and favour designs with complex textures, a griff-like or Bridge-like finish rather than simple geometric designs, and I have no objections to player flyable larger (capital) ships or slightly "uber" ships (such as the Star Wars B-Wing one of my Commanders flies) so long as they are hideously expensive....gives something extra to aim at
I also don't mind if the design comes from another fictional universe, TV series or classic films....the odd Dark Star, Valley Forge, Nostromo, Fireball XL5 or Eagle Transporter would be fun.
Gauntlet
Average
Average

Post by Gauntlet »

I fly my Asp Mark IV (Poison Ivy) :) I wish i had the ability to actually model a new ship but instead it uses a unique texture from someone elses asp II replacement oxp, ie its different to all the other mark II variants I meet in game.

She's about 10% quicker, has 5 pylons! (mostly for fuel tanks, thargoid hunting is thirsty business), and slightly less tonnage than an upgraded cobbie

Certainly not as uber as some out there and still falls within what I would call acceptable levels of tweaking
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Welcome to the Oolite BBC Gauntlet glad to hear that you are enjoying the game.

As for modelling your own ship why not give it a go ?

Using something like Wings 3D you'll be surprised how easy it is to pick up.

Their is also lots of help available on the bb to assist you to get your own creation in game.

Gauntlet
Average
Average

Post by Gauntlet »

Thanks,

editing plists is about as far as I've got modding so far, but I might have a play with wings when I can find the time.

I was an Elite player back in the eighties and only discovered oolite a few weeks ago, I'ts amazing how quickly I got drawn in, its like the last 30 years never happened!
Ironfist
Commander
Commander

Post by Ironfist »

Care is needed or Oolite will consume about 25 hours a day.

Ironfist
64bit Mint 10 and Win 8 64bit on E8400 at 3.6GHz - ATI HD5750 graphics.
Concentration is the ability to think of absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary.