Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Wow! Childhood Revisited :-D

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Wow! Childhood Revisited :-D

Post by capt.Pirk »

Crikey! I first had this game for.. wait for it.. the Acorn Electron way back in the eighties :)
I know.. tsk. Sadly, my parents wouldn't stretch to a BBC Model B .. damn.. :-(

Anyway, I have just installed the Linux x86 autopackage version and what a snap! (rsync'd too). Bang, straight in there.
FYI, I'm currently running a Debian Kanotix install. I haven't installed the NVidia drivers yet and the game is playable (1200 Duron 386MB ram). I must change the key mapping though ..
First impressions are:-
A wonderful blend of the original game layout with nicely improved graphics that still retain the feel of the original game but more pleasing on the eye :-)
I like the planet shadows and ensignia extras on the ships. Nice.
I have to say I was never a fan of subsequent Elite type games after the original versions.
Just a idea though, how about a gentle, low rumble (varied according to velocity) for thrust noise? This would be cool through a home theatre system. Before anyone says you can't hear in space, well engine noise is interally trasmitted through your ships construction.
Ofcourse, ships in the vicinity would not be heard.

Shet, gotta go. I'm being hasled for my i.d. Seems too much pirate activity round here...

Anyway, great job guys :-)
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

wait for it! wait for it! your rumble wish is done, jst waiting for a nod from the MAN! see customsounds wishlist in the suggestions section. Welcome to THE BEST game forum since.......well, since Giles first had the idea really! :)
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

milinks wrote:
wait for it! wait for it! your rumble wish is done, jst waiting for a nod from the MAN! see customsounds wishlist in the suggestions section. Welcome to THE BEST game forum since.......well, since Giles first had the idea really! :)
Awesome! Y'know what? I have been trawling some of the links in this forum and where ever and realise this game's got a lot more going on than I first realised :-D

Surprise missions, inter-vessel messenging, hardware and other anomalies.. Phew.. Community modding? Jesus!

This is what Elite successors SHOULD have been doing back in the early 90's or so....
What amazes me me is that this game game is a peice of cake to install on a (full) Linux system.
Debian packages when available (x86) will make it a real no brainer :-D
Just think, when Synaptic package manager comes alive with this little beauty in the Games section, many more Linuxers will become aware of this top game!

Already, I feel myself beginning to submerse in plots from Stargate to Galctica.....
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hi, captain,

I hope all is well with S.S. Kickstart? ;)

A very kind soul is working on the Debian packages, they'll eventually be in the non-free section.

What makes Oolite so shiny is Giles' brilliant decision to code it from day one to make a lot of it scriptable by third party 'modders.' And the enthousiastic reply to that by a lot of players.

Gotta say, this is by far the nicest bunch of people around, as messageboards communities go. Lots of joking, lots of fun, lots of cooperation etc.

Oolite never ceases to amaze me, every update there's something new that's exciting, there are always new ships, missions, addons being introduced...
I really recommend a visit to Oosat, http://oosat.alioth.net/ and download some extra ships, the variety is mind-bogglling.
capt.Pirk
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by capt.Pirk »

Rxke wrote:
Hi, captain,

I hope all is well with S.S. Kickstart? ;) << :D Yeah, top film >>

A very kind soul is working on the Debian packages, they'll eventually be in the non-free section.

<< Yep, oolite-data is there (all arch's) but it causes dependency probs at the mo... Still, no matter all in good time :) >>

I really recommend a visit to Oosat, http://oosat.alioth.net/ and download some extra ships, the variety is mind-bogglling.

Lmao! Boy racers and pimped out vessels !
Still, I haven't looked into the rammifications of adding the mods under Linux. Are they Mac only??

I have been playing this via my 32" widescreen tv, man I'm like.. " Ensign. On screen. Let's see what's out there" ;P

Well, I'm gonna have to stick oolite on my personal livecd remaster, along with LBreakout2 and Njam (Pacman).
;)
Ponder
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ponder »

The mods are akin to program source code in text format so compatible with all versions :-)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

re: OXP's: everything you want to know is in the EliteWiki: http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/OXP?wi ... 5ed905de92
Ortchel
Poor
Poor

Post by Ortchel »

milinks wrote:
Yes, yes, yes! The Captain read my mind.

Oh this is wonderful.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Make sure you check out Oosat1 (link is up on Ossat2).

Not all the mods have made it to Ossat2 yet (eg Imperial Courier - you've got to try one of these!)

I think when I found the mods I spent the best part of a day, downloading unzipping and installing every one!

Download and install everything for the full experience!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Make sure you check out Oosat1 (link is up on Ossat2).

Not all the mods have made it to Ossat2 yet (eg Imperial Courier - you've got to try one of these!)

I think when I found the mods I spent the best part of a day, downloading unzipping and installing every one!

Download and install everything for the full experience!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

PS: Don't install the bandersnatch until you have a decent ship preferabley with shield boosters and military shields. It's a great OXP, but without a good ship you'll find yourself blown to bits before getting anywhere near the station.

And don't go to Galaxy 2 until you have a good ship, there are things lurking there....