Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Moar trunk stuffffff (or drunk?)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: Moar trunk stuffffff (or drunk?)

Post by Svengali »

El Viejo wrote:
It must be my evening for log errors - a whole bunch of these (r5505):

Code: Select all

19:50:35.980 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (<unidentified script>): Error: Cannot set property orientation of instance of VisualEffect to invalid value undefined.
19:50:35.980 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       ../AddOns/BGS-A1.6_r66.oxp/Scripts/bgs_exitWormhole_effect.js, line 19.
Probably due to the fact that I was ruthlessly gunned-down as I emerged from the wormhole!
Thanks El Viejo. It's a bug in the script. It needs a check if the player.ship is valid. Will upload a fixed version tomorrow.
El Viejo wrote:
Further to that, a couple of jumps later the hyperspace effect failed completely - just the sounds, then I emerged (no log errors, though).
Haven't seen this yet (in r5503), but I'll keep an eye when I've updated.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Minor bug: if you dock while the wormhole effect is ongoing, it restarts when you launch.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I guess it's time to burn the reamining bandwidth then... Some updates are online (BGS, CCL and OXPConfig) for trunk r5588+.

Wish you all some nice christmas days.
pagroove
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by pagroove »

Wow Svengali. I love the new BGS. The new interface buttons and screens are great. Is there also a new version of BGS-X-mapping?
For P.A. Groove's music check
https://soundcloud.com/p-a-groove
Famous Planets v 2.7. (for Povray)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13709
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

pagroove wrote:
Wow Svengali. I love the new BGS. The new interface buttons and screens are great. Is there also a new version of BGS-X-mapping?
Thanks pagroove .-)
I took some time to get the icons (halfway) right. First I thought to ask Tokus*Maximus if his creations can be used, but I've tried to scale them and he was absolutely right.
Tokus*Maximus wrote:
When I reduced the icons down to that resolution current for backscreen it is SO low the icons become insubstantial blobs.
I didn't thought that it would be so hard to create icons - it has shown my lack of skills and knowledge in that area.

And no, BGS-X is in a unusable state atm. I've cleaned up the overlays already, but there's some 'fun' with the collected coordinates currently. But this has to wait until the other OXPs are prepared for v1.77. The plan is to do the patches for the other soundpacks (Captain Berf Pilot, Customsounds, Halsis and Hawksound) and your alternative soundpack for BGS, then BuoyRepair and Vector. Specially Vector is in dire need of a new version, but the required changes are heavy and it will take a bit longer, so this is the last one. CCL, BGS (A,C,I,M), OXPConfig and Snoopers are pretty much done (at least it seems so).
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

That animation demo is looking good, Svengali. Question: why the 'H' on the landing-pad? <chuckles>

I see what you mean about the new BGS icons - cool, but not quite sharp.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Thanks Svengali.. looks great! 8)

(The readme for the new version of BGS needs updating to include a mention of the joystick throttle jitter fix via OXPConfig)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
AkTanatha
Above Average
Above Average

Post by AkTanatha »

I like that :)
Some questions, what gives you the system info as you emerge from Hyperspace?
Also, has it ever been considered to improve the entering / leaving space station sequence, or has it been done already?
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

AkTanatha wrote:
what gives you the system info as you emerge from Hyperspace?
For that, you want Thargoid's Welcome Mat OXP.
AkTanatha wrote:
Also, has it ever been considered to improve the entering / leaving space station sequence, or has it been done already?
It's been discussed, but I gather it's far more difficult to change than we might think.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Grab the trunk beta of Aquatics, go visit the Aquarian HQ in Aqualina (G3) and tell me what you think of the trip ;)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Sounds intriguing.. will do! 8)
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Sounds intriguing.. will do! 8)
And because it's Christmas, to make it easier, I've even made you a demonstration Commander to save you the trip. He's a returning welcome visitor to the Aqualina station...

Currently residing next door in Birera, and flying a Military Manta Ray. Just take him on the short hop across to the HQ station to see the new stuff (make sure you're using 1.77 and the beta though).
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

8)

Talk about timing! I fired up trunk, then thought "What was the name of that system in G3 again?" I popped up a browser, and here was your post with a game-save ready to go! Wow!

Many thanks, and I hope you're enjoying your 'Easter'.. :wink:
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Wow, great doors opening up and a glimpse inside the station! Only a little problem it didn't stay on screen for long enough to see much. But still thats better than the docking rings!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Currently the duration of the docking/launching effect can't be changed - it's fixed at 2.5s each. We have had some discussion about how easy/hard it would be to vary that, but according to Cim it's not a trivial change.

I should also give credit to both him and Svengali as the rest of the team who helped to make such effects work.