Oolite did not respond for a few seconds

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

rroesch
Average
Average

Oolite did not respond for a few seconds

Post by rroesch »

Hello,
I am old Elite Fan an now are very happy with Oolite, playing it for a few weeks, finished the constrictor hunt and like the game very much.

I have one (minor) problem with the game: when I am in a station (or sometimes short time after I launched into space) I get some freezes or short not responding game screens. This happens when I save the game, change between menus (F8 - F7 - F6 -F5 - F3) or sometimes (not very often) when scrolling down the market price list.

It occurs even when I start Oolite in strict mode.
During flight I did not get such freezes, except a few seconds after launching from the station (only from main stations).

Anybody an idea what I can try to correct this ?
Thanks,
RR
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Oolite did not respond for a few seconds

Post by another_commander »

Hi and welcome

Are you connected to the Internet when these pauses happen? This is the only occasion when I have seen something similar happening here. If you are online, try disconnecting and see if the issue persists.

Other than that, some occasional momentary pauses, lasting no more than 1/10 of a second, do happen sometimes as the result of mainly spawning entities, loading textures and calculating collision volumes. However, in order to be able to help more, it would be good if you could let us know what version of the game you are running and the specifications of the system you are running it on.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

another_commander wrote:
Are you connected to the Internet when these pauses happen? This is the only occasion when I have seen something similar happening here. If you are online, try disconnecting and see if the issue persists.
This happens to me as well, though its baffled me as to why it seems to only happen when I'm connected to the internet. Oolite surely doesn't ever connect to the internet does it? I can't see why it would have to, there are no online features of Oolite that I know of...
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Pleb wrote:
This happens to me as well, though its baffled me as to why it seems to only happen when I'm connected to the internet. Oolite surely doesn't ever connect to the internet does it? I can't see why it would have to, there are no online features of Oolite that I know of...
Oolite attempts to connect to the Debug Console via TCP/IP (default is loopback: 127.0.0.1, but it can be changed to any IP address so that the Debug Console can run on a computer different to the one running the game). I think the attempt happens twice during startup so I am not entirely sure myself why the pauses seem to continue even after the game has launched.
rroesch
Average
Average

Post by rroesch »

Hello,

my system: a Thinkpad T510 with Core i5 CPU and Intel integrated graphics.

The freeze occurs under both circumstances: internet connected, internet not connected.

Any new thoughts ?

Thanks,
RR
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Well, if a number of entities is spawned for the first time while you are viewing one of the GUI screens, chances are that for a split second or so the game will be unresponsive, then will retrun to normal. BTW does this happen also without any OXPs installed? It might be that you are using one particularly enthusiastic in spawning entities.
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

Deep Space Pirates and Totalpatrol both cause some delays for me, as does Galactic Navy sometimes. If you have any of these OXPs installed they may be causing problems. Also Liners and ADCK's Bulk Haulers sometimes cause some slow loading times occasionally...
Desktop PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790K Quad Core 4.4GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti RAM: 32GB DDR3

Laptop PC: CPU: Intel i5-10300H Quad Core 4.5GHz (Turbo-Charged) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 RAM: 32GB DDR4
rroesch
Average
Average

Post by rroesch »

Hello,

I use the liners oxp, will try to remove it and see if there is a change.

but I am sure I had the freezes even in restricted mode.

RR
Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by Fatleaf »

Welcome to The Friendliest Forum This Side Of RiedquatTM

That is how a lot of issues with Oolite are identified, through a process of elimination. Most problems are oxp related a few are with systems and/or hardware like graphics cards. But a few are with Oolite itself. So it is good (for me that is) to work in that order.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Pleb
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Pleb »

I would imagine its the Liners OXP, one of the ship models takes a bit longer to load on both my machines. I assume it has a high number of shaders or something as even my Vista machine takes a small hit in performance when loading it! But its a good eye candy OXP to have, I like flying around with the big ships, otherwise everything is really small and insignificant in the Ooniverse... :lol:

rroesch
Average
Average

Post by rroesch »

Hello,

I have some news to that topic.
Last week I changed the operating system of my notebook to Windows8.
Oolite is running very nice:-)
All hangs or short no response times are gone completely. No more a lag after saving or leaving the station. Quite perfect!
I will now reinstall the Big Ships and other OXP's I removed while having those lags.

I will report, if the lags are comming back then.

Rainer