Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[RELEASE] Povray Planets 1.0

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Povray Planets 2.0 should...

be crowd-source designed.
20%
wait for planet shader support.
58%
hosted by akamai.
13%
not be necessary.
10%

Total votes: 40

JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: [RELEASE] Povray Planets 1.0

Post by JazHaz »

Tichy wrote:
Here's the report that Norton produces for this site: http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=ompldr.org
Tichy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tichy »

JazHaz wrote:
Tichy wrote:
Here's the report that Norton produces for this site: http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=ompldr.org
I searched for more informations. Looks like the site has been used to upload infected files, and maybe that's the reason it was inserted in the symantec blacklist. http://google.com/safebrowsing/diagnost ... ompldr.org http://www.webutation.net/go/review/ompldr.org#
In fact, in my searches, I found several reports of files uploaded to the site, but never any report about the site itself.

However, I have alredy edited my previous post, with a screenshot uploaded to a different site. ;)
ecraven
Average
Average

Post by ecraven »

I've had success in running the padre scripts for generating my own textures as follows:
- Get the povray/perl source from the link mentioned in the post.
- get megapov 1.21.1 (http://megapov.inetart.net)
- edit share/povray/cm/cm_camera.inc, remove the commenting-out from the *second* /* .. */ block, so that it is no longer commented out (that's the block containing CubeMapCamera).
- go to share/povray, run perl script.pl, install all missing dependencies one by one (I had to install perl-digest-jhash and perl-text-csv).
- run perl script.pl ../oolite/oolite_galaxy_1.csv 1 1 from inside share/povray
takes about 5 minutes per planet for me, seems to work fine (I only ran 5 though :)

Good luck, and thanks for the great textures! Would it be possible to just replace the existing ones with higher-resolution ones? or do they have to be 256x256 per face?
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

ecraven wrote:
takes about 5 minutes per planet for me, seems to work fine (I only ran 5 though :)

Good luck, and thanks for the great textures! Would it be possible to just replace the existing ones with higher-resolution ones? or do they have to be 256x256 per face?
Firstly - you should be applauded for getting that mess up and running. I think you could probably find the '256' in script.pl and just change it - the released textures should be 512 per face in general. That was the happy medium I found - considering I was bundling a whole galaxy at a time. There should be nothing other than opengl stopping you from rendering 1024 pixels or bigger per face , somewhere there is another script to stitch the faces together.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

submersible wrote:
Firstly - you should be applauded for getting that mess up and running.
Secondly, you are going to share your results, aren't you? Because the 1100-odd textures Submersible has already shared with us just aren't enough for some of us greedy people. :D
ecraven
Average
Average

Post by ecraven »

if that is ok with submersible, i'll render the other 4 galaxies :) [just to be sure, those are 3 6 7 8, right?]
edit: my fault, the released ones are 512 per side already, i'll use that setting.

a technical and mostly non-related question: how exactly are the 6 cube sides mapped to a sphere? i'm dabbling in a simple space game myself, and would like to have as beautiful planets as these!
ecraven
Average
Average

Post by ecraven »

one problem, there should be a files maps/turb/{small,large}-[1-5].png which are needed for gas giants. could you upload these anywhere i can access them? without those, i can't properly generate gas giants :(
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

ecraven wrote:
one problem, there should be a files maps/turb/{small,large}-[1-5].png which are needed for gas giants. could you upload these anywhere i can access them? without those, i can't properly generate gas giants :(
Yup I've put them here http://swarm.perlide.org/static/turb/ , they were never committed . They're for adding some flow like turbulence (see http://markjstock.org/vic2d/) that I could not get right using povray.

Be warned, there is some contention that the selection of terrain types does not respect other aspects like Government / Economy, I started developing a better selection mechanism - it's unfinished.

You have my permission to render and release the other galaxies - I would prefer to tweak and add more variety to the different types.
Duggan
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Duggan »

I am not sure about other Oolite gamers , but as for myself, I would love to see the whole 8 galaxies completed :)
Flying Python Class Cruiser, Chapter & Verse IV
ecraven
Average
Average

Post by ecraven »

thanks, seems to work fine now. i'll see what i can do next week, i should have access to a machine that can do one galaxy in less than a day, i'll report on monday or tuesday :)

i've been looking a bit into povray, but am by far not good enough to tackle this, but some sort of city structures, volcanoes, ice planets etc. would be really cool :) i can donate cpu to actually run the rendering. it'll be a few more months before i understand enough of povray to do this myself :-/
vic2d generates great perturbations, could this be used in any way too?

another question, is there any tool that simply loads a cube map texture for a sphere, then shows it to me, as i would see it in oolite? changing textures and restarting the game is .. inefficient ;)
ecraven
Average
Average

Post by ecraven »

just as a preview, galaxy 5 as rendered on my machine (yes, i found out too late that 5 is already done..., nonetheless, maybe interesting to note the differences and similarities between planets..)
http://www.nexoid.at/oolite/galaxy-5.jpg
submersible
Commodore
Commodore

Post by submersible »

ecraven wrote:
i've been looking a bit into povray, but am by far not good enough to tackle this, but some sort of city structures, volcanoes, ice planets etc. would be really cool :) i can donate cpu to actually run the rendering. it'll be a few more months before i understand enough of povray to do this myself :-/
vic2d generates great perturbations, could this be used in any way too?

another question, is there any tool that simply loads a cube map texture for a sphere, then shows it to me, as i would see it in oolite? changing textures and restarting the game is .. inefficient ;)
Cities, volcanoes ,ice - it's all up for grabs. If you have not seen the 'About Planets' thread , take a look here https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=75 , you will see why I paused povray planets to work making shaders available to planets. Specular, normal and emission maps make a big difference , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rNV8zk-xLE

vic2d has an amazing number of uses - I've barely scratched the surface there.

As for previewing - I was thinking of an HTML5 webgl previewer - which should be possible, but as yet unwritten
ecraven
Average
Average

Post by ecraven »

interesting read, those planets do look great!

i've rendered the other 4 galaxies, i'll upload them tomorrow during the day, i'll try to create oxps :)

did you ever think about generating space background with vic2d or povray? something brighter and more fun than black with a few stars :-)

greetings, peter
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

ecraven wrote:
did you ever think about generating space background with vic2d or povray? something brighter and more fun than black with a few stars :-)
Increase the nebula opacity setting and you'll see just how complex the background is.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Wildeblood wrote:
ecraven wrote:
Increase the nebula opacity setting and you'll see just how complex the background is.
And/or install [EliteWiki] Realistic Stars OXP.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied