Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Griff's normalmapped ship remakes

Post by Cody »

Heh... something akin to this:

Code: Select all

../AddOns/griff_coriolis_normalmapped_alt_fullsize_tex_v2.03.oxp
    ../AddOns/griff_dodo_normalmapped_fullsize_tex_v2.0.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
    ../AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
That's an extract of my Griff OXPs.

Edit to add: the latest version of Griff's Dodo is actually v2.01.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

ah i see! i am very grateful- here's mine

19:41:22.286 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
/Applications/Oolite 1.76.1/Oolite.app/Contents/Resources
/Applications/Oolite 1.76.1/AddOns
/Applications/Oolite 1.76.1/AddOns/griff_dodo_normalmapped_fullsize_tex_v2.01.oxp
/Applications/Oolite 1.76.1/AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp
/Applications/Oolite 1.76.1/AddOns/Griff_Shipset_Resources_v1.2.25.oxp
/Applications/Oolite 1.76.1/AddOns/Staer9's Shipset (shaded) v1.0.oxp
/Applications/Oolite 1.76.1/AddOns/Staer9's Shipset (shaded) v1.0.oxp/Staer9's Shipset (shaded) v1.0.oxp
/Applications/Oolite 1.76.1/AddOns/System_Redux.oxp

I think what is happening, is that the dodo is acting as an addition rather than a replacement- in the cycle of ships at the beginning, i get a plane one and i get a griff one

if that makes sense- would dearly love to ditch the plain one

any ideas?
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ah... interesting. The core Dodo does indeed appear in the start-up parade of ships, but in-game, it is replaced... try it.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

i have been trying, but there seem to be so few dodo stations, done about half of galaxy 1 and not a sausage- or dodo! as dead as a....

am thinking of upgrading to groove stations, will I still see griff stations from my original OXP? this may seem like an obvious question, but to me it all seems like wizardry

many many thanks again
Cody

Post by Cody »

phonebook wrote:
... am thinking of upgrading to groove stations, will I still see griff stations from my original OXP? this may seem like an obvious question, but to me it all seems like wizardry
Heh... actually, it's all wizardry to me too. I cannot answer that question, I'm afraid.
Oh... you seem to have Staer9's shipset installed twice. Best to remove one of them.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

have investigated the Staer9 ships- it seems the second oxp was part of the package contents of the other- most likely the parent OXP ought to have been a folder- all it contains is the OXP

have got rid of the parent OXP and just left the one inside

it works
CaptSolo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptSolo »

Interesting avatar, El Viejo. At first I thought, Ah!... Mi amigo has created a royal emblem for the Green Knights of Lago. But then I made out the words emblazoned, Rolling Thunder.
Cody

Post by Cody »

CaptSolo wrote:
Interesting avatar, El Viejo.
Heh... that's the name-decal on my Griff Cobra III. You should see it in full size (it's an album cover - Rolling Thunder was a Shoshone shaman, and a remarkable man).
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Sorry to anyone who's been waiting for the Ico station remake, I haven't abandoned the shipset project! :)
Here's a WIP test of the station object, it should appear in game replacing the default Ico station if you can find one (Zaonce near Lave in galaxy 1 has an ico). if i can stop myself from playing torchlight2 i'll sort out some proper textures :lol:

GriffICO Station WIP oxp https://www.box.com/s/yire7q5dv81q3ezimf3x (about 1MB)
Hopefully featuring the final version of the model, textures are generic stand-ins
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

This looks very interesting Griff. I can't wait to see the finished station in game.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
superbatprime
Dangerous
Dangerous

Re: New Pilot, same old newb questions.

Post by superbatprime »

Final noob question for a while... I'm making some nice cash trading smart and my ship is starting to become a contender, naturally it's time for a paintjob.

Now, I promise you, I have been researching this but I'm not sure I understand what I'm reading (I'm also intimidated by anything resembling code but I want to do this) so here's the question/s... I'm flying the starting Cobra Mk3 from Griff's shipset, can I paint this ship at all?

Does the entry in the shipdata plist marked "Cobra mk3-player" refer to the ship I'm sitting in right now or is it all cobby 3s (in the station store)?
If I edit the values in that entry will it be reflected in the ship I'm flying when I restart (I want to mess with external views too)?

Basically all I want is to change the color, not the texture... sorry if I'm making a simple question overly complex, my brain is a bit melted from trying to work this out, I just want to be sure before I start messing around in the games guts.

I managed to edit the wing decal easy enough but this next step is just not clicking with me. :/
So then I says to him, I says "naw dude, Oolite ain't no Space Opera... Oolite is Space Rock and Roll!"
Cody

Re: New Pilot, same old newb questions.

Post by Cody »

I used to understand the paint-job stuff on Griff's ships, but it's different now (and I fly the multi-decal Griff Cobra III, which I do still understand - just).

<pages Griff>
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

I'll leave Griff to explain the magic of how his ships work, but if you want a unique ship unlike all the others in game or in the shipyard you are probably going to have to make an OXP for it. Changes to any player ship are usually applied to all 'player ships' of that type, so those in the shipyard will appear the same as yours.
This is a pretty straightforward process but will involve a bit of work, so we'll wait for Griff's advice, then if you need help with making your unique ship OXP, come back and we'll talk you through the procedure.
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Edit: when the next version of Oolite comes out, remember to grab Capt. Murphy's amazing Respray OXP https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12024 It really is stunning stuff, you can edit your ships paint colours right there in the game!

In Oolite 1.76.1 the Devs added some extra amaze that meant that player ships can have random paint colours too which makes the following bit of editing a bit more fiddly than it used to be :D
If you're using the Griff_Shipset_Addition_v1.22.oxp, here's how to modify the paint colour on the Player Cobra III, open the shipdata.plist file in the Config folder in a text editor (on Windows don't use notepad as its wordwrap function can add hidden characters to the file that stops Oolite bing able to parse it), find the lines 3119 & 3120, which look like this:

PaintColor1 = {type = "randomUnitVector"; scale = 0.17;};
	PaintColor2 = {type = "randomUnitVector"; scale = 0.17;};
and change them to:

PaintColor1 = { type = vector; value = "0.0 0.0 0.0"; };
	PaintColor2 = { type = vector; value = "0.0 0.0 0.0"; };
Now the three numbers in the Value = " " bit are the colour values for Red, Green and Blue and are in the range 0.0000 - 1.0000, you can modify these numbers to tint the ships paintcolour. Note that you won't be able to make the ship's paint black (or white), you can only really 'dye' the underlying green/blue paint colour slightly so you do get quite a lot of muddy brown painted ships!
Once you've made your changes save the file, then start Oolite with the shift key held down from the moment the program starts loading up until the title screen appears, doing this forces Oolite to reread in all your oxp settings and gets it to notice our edit

If you're using the Griff_Shipset_Replace_v1.34.oxp, then the lines in shipdata.plist that you need to edit are 2868-2869 and 2872-2873, there's two groups due to the nice indenting that's going on in this plist file, anyway both groups sort of look like this:

scale = "0.17";
        type = randomUnitVector;
change these lines to...

type = vector;
      value = "0.0 0.0 0.0";
...so that the whole section now looks like this (lines 2867-2874)

PaintColor1 = {
                        type = vector;
                        value = "0.0 0.0 0.0";
                      };
        PaintColor2 = {
                        type = vector;
                        value = "0.0 0.0 0.0";
                     };
again, modify the numbers to what you'd like, eg "1.0 0.0 0.0" is a max strength red, here's a colour wheel with the numbers you can use to get to a particular colour (ignore the commas between the numbers in this illustration, when you type them it during your edit just seperate each number with a space)

Incidentally, the scale value in lines like these PaintColor1 = {type = "randomUnitVector"; scale = 0.17;}; limits how strongly the ships are tinted, if you'd like a really colourful Ooniverse set the scale value to 1.0, you'll get some eye popping results :lol:
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Griff wrote:
...the scale value in lines like these PaintColor1 = {type = "randomUnitVector"; scale = 0.17;}; limits how strongly the ships are tinted, if you'd like a really colourful Ooniverse set the scale value to 1.0, you'll get some eye popping results :lol:
That sounds interesting. I'll have to do that!
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?