Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

"Laserover-Laserover-Laser overheating" and other sound woes

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: "Laserover-Laserover-Laser overheating" and other sound

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
@ Eric: What about your Scoop Positions.oxp? I can't find it in the OXP list, and its positions are quite different from the ones in Oolite's shipdata.
That oxp had only 5 downloads in total and can still be downloaded when you would find the link :P . I also gave it a max_version of Oolite 1.74 because I intended to add those values into Oolite itself. The oxp was released in sept 2009 and I added scoop positions in Oolite on november 2009. I don't remember anymore but I assume I did some tests that resulted in the current Oolite values. Before it was also 0,0,0 for all internal ships and the current values are more close to that 0,0,0 than those in the oxp. Probably I didn't want to make the change not to drastic. :lol:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Scoop positions.oxp probably didn't work anyway. I just noticed that the plist is named 'shipdata-override.plist' instead of 'overrides'.
Corny
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Corny »

Svengali wrote:
Corny wrote:
It is indeed a bit poor sometimes. I mean, in the case of the laser, just stop firing. But when I'm scooping and I'm hearing "scoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoop active" every time, I'm thinking about just deleting the specific sound :(
See http://developer.berlios.de/feature/?fu ... up_id=3577.
That would require me to change it in the source and compile it myself since it's not implemented (yet), did I understand that right?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Corny wrote:
Svengali wrote:
Corny wrote:
It is indeed a bit poor sometimes. I mean, in the case of the laser, just stop firing. But when I'm scooping and I'm hearing "scoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoopscoop active" every time, I'm thinking about just deleting the specific sound :(
See http://developer.berlios.de/feature/?fu ... up_id=3577.
That would require me to change it in the source and compile it myself since it's not implemented (yet), did I understand that right?
It's a suggestion and request which, if the developers approve, will come in a future version of Oolite. I don't know whether the code is a first idea or a fully playtested, guaranteed-to-work and bug-free solution, or anything in-between. Therefore, while you certainly can copy it and compile your own version of Oolite containing this code, there are no guarantees that it (a) will work, and (b) won't break anything.

Keeping this caveat in mind, yes, you can use it to compile your own version of the game. You would at the same time become a guinea pig for testing it, which is good because tests are always needed.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Corny wrote:
Yes. The code is running on my box for some days now and it looks good so far. The change relates the update for the sound to the duration of the soundfile.
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

[Quote=Ahruman] Fixed fuel scoops sound loop issue, discussed in https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11611[/Quote]

That's from the thread https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 90#p172395

I'm running version 1.76.1, and I get continuous (repetitive) speech saying "Scoop Active, Scoop Active, Scoop Active", sometimes lasting minutes.
Always when scooping a cargo pod - or an escape capsule.
When sun skimming, it's fine. The speech cuts out when my tanks are full.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

DeathKnyte wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
Fixed fuel scoops sound loop issue, discussed in https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11611
That's from the thread https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.ph ... 90#p172395

I'm running version 1.76.1, and I get continuous (repetitive) speech saying "Scoop Active, Scoop Active, Scoop Active", sometimes lasting minutes.
Always when scooping a cargo pod - or an escape capsule.
When sun skimming, it's fine. The speech cuts out when my tanks are full.
That should be working as expected then. The scoop sound loop issue mentioned above was that the sound was firing on every update of the game state, without any kind of check whether it had actually completed before restarting. This resulted in the "scoopscoopscoopscoop active" situation. Now, as long as the scoops are in operation, the sound plays, but it only restarts once it has completed its previous run.

If "scoop active" plays while the scoops are not active for whatever reason, then that would be a bug. However, I believe that in your case it's just some cargo pod that takes a while to get into the bay that is causing the sound to loop for minutes. If that is not the case and you can reproduce it somehow, please let us know.
DeathKnyte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by DeathKnyte »

ah, I see, another_commander.

Well, these pods can take like minutes before the scoop (and the associated voice )stops.
Sometimes, while I'm maneuvering around, the pod I thought was scooped, or as you say is taking a while to get into the bay, will float around my view screens.

Then, last night, while doing some experiments, another ship came along and started scooping some pods near me. While I watched him, the pod he was trying to get kept hovering just a few meters in front of him, even while he accelerated, turned, etc. It was amusing to watch, like a little fish trying to get away from a shark.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

DK, when I come across a pod that's being uncooperative, I find it often helps to slow right down, or even stop. This gives the magnetic grapples a chance to do their thing, and as a rule the recalcitrant pod is aboard within seconds..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<nods sagely>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Commander Wilmot
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Commander Wilmot »

As a temporary solution, could you add another sound or just add a couple seconds of silence to the end of the file? That way you would hear, for example, "Scoop Active" and then a general soft whirring background noise representing the fuel scoops running. That way you would get the message, then you would get it again at say, a quarter of a minute to half a minute later (probably half a minute), to let you know the operation was still on going; rather than getting "Scoop Active" every 5 to 10 seconds.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

I like that the 'scoop active' keeps repeating, if I'm trying to scoop pods.. it lets me know there's a problem and I need to slow down.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Cpt
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cpt »

When listening to the Female RP voice I hear:

...Secret Sauce marked 'E'...

...Won Ton Food...

Maybe I am just hungry?
Oolite is Ooheavy... Cpt says "Write on Commander"
<<My other spaceship is a Thargoid Pathfinder, from the wrong side of Riedquat >>
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Escaping cargo pods probably should slow down enough to be caught while injecting even using an Anaconda. That's still pretty fast. If you could go that fast for 1 hour, even the system's star would seem pretty small from that distance.