Sound the sounds

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Unfortunately the synthetic voice at the moment is limited to the Mac only.

But I see your point. 2048 planet names... <shudder>
winston
Pirate
Pirate

Post by winston »

Lucidor wrote:
I actually think that the synthetic voice used now is pretty good. Your relationships will probably hang on a thin thread if you ask your girlfriends to record the names of the stars in all the galaxies. :^)
Especially when they discover that the name generally given by pilots to a synthesized voice in their aircraft is "Bitchin' Betty"

Urban legend has it that a (it varies) Mexican or South American flight in a Boeing ended in disaster. The GPWS was shouting (in an American accent) Terrain! Terrain! Whoop whoop! Pull up! and the Captain just shouted "Shut up Gringo" before ploughing into a mountainside. (If you've ever heard a GPWS, I don't think they have an accent at all except for "robot").
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

:lol: reminds me of a soundbit from the beastie boys: 'shut the fsk up, Chico man!'

ahem.

Errr... couldn't it be done simple for the names: write a little script that let apple's synth say all the names, from the database and record that? if you insert a pause, there's software that can auto-chop it all up, and resample/compress/etc it...

It would sound out of style with the real person doing the rest, but maybe you can imagine there are two AI's: one your ship, another from the planetary system-naming-commitee, est some eons before, hence the more robotlike voice?
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

Rxke wrote:
:lol: reminds me of a soundbit from the beastie boys: 'shut the fsk up, Chico man!'
That was actually world famous graffiti artist 'Lee' Quinines from the 'Wild Style' film... *zips up anorak* 8)
Team Zorg are Go!
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

I'm a reknowned philistine.

(doubly so, given that I study at an arts-academy (Though we art conservators are not artists, people do expect us to be sophisticated. I. am. not.)
Lucidor
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Lucidor »

Rxke wrote:
Errr... couldn't it be done simple for the names: write a little script that let apple's synth say all the names, from the database and record that? if you insert a pause, there's software that can auto-chop it all up, and resample/compress/etc it...
Why insert pauses and chop it up? Wouldn't it be much easier to make an automator script that record, compress and store each name as separate samples directly?