[REQUEST] Station tutorial

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

[REQUEST] Station tutorial

Post by commanderxairon »

first off thanks in advance

what i neead is a tutorial where i can see the process in order to make a station, a simple one what i want is to make a resource for the players who like big ships to have a way to dock them at any planet i know that there is lots of solutions for that but i want to offer ANNOTHER and focus on the fact of unlimited size i have a couple of ideas and id like to release them just all again thanks for your help and time.. :D
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Re: [REQUEST] Station tutorial

Post by Thargoid »

There's the start of one [EliteWiki] on the wiki.

Beyond that it's not so different from making a ship, except for the sub-entity dock.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Thargoid wrote:
There's the start of one [EliteWiki] on the wiki.

Beyond that it's not so different from making a ship, except for the sub-entity dock.
There is some good info here in chapter 1. Are chapters 2 to 4 under development ?
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

No idea - I wasn't writing it.

From the history I think Svengali was involved, although I guess he's more focussed on lovely cut-scenes and such at the moment.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Yes, I've written the first bits. But as you can see it's from 2009 - a lot of things have changed in the meantime. And no, I'm not gonna revisit it atm, because I have enough projects right now .-)

Luckily the WIKI is a collaboration tool and every members can fill in the missing bits. Additionally searching the forum will give you a lot of answers.
The Shipyard at the End of the Ooniverse. Modeller's bit. is always a good starting point.

Just one example -> https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=103
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Svengali - Thanks for the info/links. A station is one of the projects I intend to work on sometime in the coming months so this will help.

Who knows I may also produce a guide on building stations for Oolite.

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I don't really understand what the fuzz is about. :?:

To emphasize what Thargoid already wrote: there is no difference whatsoever in designing a ship or a station (or an asteroid, or a cargo container, or an escape pod, or a flat rectangle) for Oolite. You need a model and a texture. Period.
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

@ Commander McLane - I haven't looked in detail at designing a station yet as I have been working on other things however I think that the queries probably relate to the way you set up a dock as a sub entity.

As you say once this part is done the rest should be like producing a ship.

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Shipbuilder wrote:
@ Commander McLane - I haven't looked in detail at designing a station yet as I have been working on other things however I think that the queries probably relate to the way you set up a dock as a sub entity.
A subentity is a subentity. There is no difference between a dock, a wing, a turret, or a flasher, as far as designing, constructing, or "setting up" is concerned. The miracle: as soon as there is one subentity that has the string "dock" in its name, the whole thing becomes dockable.

Note: it's probably better to use the new-style subentity definition, where you can declare the dock-property explicitly.

Or do you collectively want to say that all your combined ships so far haven't used a single subentity, and therefore you are all new to the very concept of subentities? Given the complexity of some of the models which have been showcased here on the boards that would be amazing.
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

I'm not sure I'd quite agree there - docks are slightly more complex than normal sub-entities:

• You have to texture the inside of them not the outside, hence the thing has to be "turned inside out" during modelling to get the textured surfaces right.
  • You have to get the orientation and position right to sit correctly within the main model, and you need to include a specific hole in the main model to accommodate it.
  • You need a suitable AI to make the entity accept docking properly, although there are several in the trunk AIs that are suitable.
  • If you get it wrong (and many have, including me) you can get weird effects like flying through the ship and docking in odd places, or the dock appearing in a strange place.
All that said the new definition of sub-entities makes things simpler, although again the new-new capability of multiple docks could add another layer of things to screw up.

But if you start with a simple station and perhaps even re-use the trunk dock for it, then you can have a very good and workable station-replacement up and running quite quickly (give or take fancy texturing or shaders).[/color]
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

Thanks for the info Thargoid.

As noted earlier I have not, as yet, given station desing a go but it is certainly on my list of things to do so all this will help.
although again the new-new capability of multiple docks could add another layer
Do you know when multiple docks will be avalable ?

This is, I suppose, the next stage to get in to and it is certainly something that interests me (I have a few ideas regarding the use of multiple docks).

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

It's already in trunk (1.77), and the wiki is already updated on how to set them up within shipdata.plist. Note that to use them the dock must be defined via the new method (both old and new methods are detailed in the linked page).

Cim also has put together a demo OXP for trunk which can be downloaded via his wiki page.

So it should be available when 1.77 comes out, although using a nightly or a self build you can get a preview.
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Post by commanderxairon »

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1p21uvrzawdt2h8

this make the game freeze and dont run and i can't quess why.. it is a replacement for the buoy for it to act as a mooring point o.o
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

commanderxairon wrote:

this make the game freeze and dont run and i can't quess why.. it is a replacement for the buoy for it to act as a mooring point o.o
Is there anything in your Latest.log?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

commanderxairon wrote:

Change the dockmoor.dat. Give the first two vertices a 1.000000 as z position.