Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: artificial gravity

Post by JensAyton »

Ahruman wrote:
I believe that if two surfaces subtend the same area projected onto a sphere around the ship
This is really the wrong measure, BTW; a better model of what I’m thinking would be something like total Lambertian albedo, i.e. an integral over the cosine of the angle between the normal of each point on the surface and each direction from which that point is visible.
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Selezen wrote:
Dammit, there are NO original ideas left in the world.

I've had a take on a "gravitomagnetic drive" for some time. I trust you lot, so I'm going to reveal something secret. And very work in progress. But the actual linked page is pretty much static for the moment.

Keep it safe and keep it secret...
There used to be a lady that worked with my dad whose husband was working on something very similar to this. (I believe through Sandia National Labs or Los Alamos Labs if I recall).

Still - I think there must be a connection between the two. I spent part of last Christmas break playing around with both the permittivity and permeability or free space to see if there might be a way to connect E&M with Gravity. Although I obviously haven't come to any conclusion, I still strongly believe that there must be a connection (and even if there isn't, Newton's law still doesn't explain anything lot about how gravity really works).
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

Reminds me of the Original idea for an Ion Drive.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... -live.html

and this rather nice idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_1
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Couldn't you adapt the Yamato One drive for operation in solar wind?
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Rese249er wrote:
Couldn't you adapt the Yamato One drive for operation in solar wind?
The problem with using the solar wind is that it only accelerates the craft to the edge of the helioshphere. I honestly think that long distance travel in normal space is quite impractical - although if this drive (Alcubierre Drive) works, then we might be in business - Star Trek style :mrgreen: .
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

One of my little projects in the future is to build an OXP that allows for a fleet of 'Sailing' craft (from personal yachts to trading clippers).

Is there (yet) a way of animating an object on a player ship or non player ship?
Shipbuilder
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Shipbuilder »

NigelJK - I understand that you can define moving/rotating sub-entities however this is not something that I have looked in to as yet (I don't know if this will provide exactly what you are looking to achieve).

Perhaps someone else with more knowledge in this field may be able to confirm or otherwise that I am correct and provide some more detailed info.
The GalTech Industries Corporation - Building ships to populate the galaxies.

Increase the variety of ships within your Ooniverse by downloading my OXPs

Flying the [wiki]Serpent_Class_Cruiser[/wiki] "Thargoid's Bane"
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

NigelJK wrote:
One of my little projects in the future is to build an OXP that allows for a fleet of 'Sailing' craft (from personal yachts to trading clippers).

Is there (yet) a way of animating an object on a player ship or non player ship?
Try looking at the demo section of Thargoid's wiki user page*. (Demo/Taster OXPs)

* Still can't do links to user page's with the wiki bbcode.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Tricky wrote:
* Still can't do links to user page's with the wiki bbcode.
You never will. And not only because it's a user page (colon in page title), but also because it's a link to a subtitle ('#' in page title).

But you can incorporate the Wiki logo by hand: Image Demo/Taster OXPs

Typed like this:

Code: Select all

[url=http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Thargoid#Demo.2FTaster_OXPs][img]https://bb.oolite.space/images/elitewikismall.png[/img] Demo/Taster OXPs[/url]
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Rotating sub-entities have been possible for a long time - via the rotational_velocity key in shipdata.plist.

But recently we've also gained frame callbacks, which allows per-frame access for things like the animation I have used in some of the demo items linked to above. As you can access both the position and orientation of sub-entities from script (as well as both for the main entity too) you can have all sorts of fun ;)

And then there's shaders, which are a whole other area for animation. For that have a look at Griff's fabulous constores in YAH.
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

Thargoid wrote:
Rotating sub-entities have been possible for a long time - via the rotational_velocity key in shipdata.plist.

But recently we've also gained frame callbacks, which allows per-frame access for things like the animation I have used in some of the demo items linked to above. As you can access both the position and orientation of sub-entities from script (as well as both for the main entity too) you can have all sorts of fun ;)

And then there's shaders, which are a whole other area for animation. For that have a look at Griff's fabulous constores in YAH.
Yes, frame callbacks allow for all sorts of fun! :idea:
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs
NigelJK
Deadly
Deadly

Post by NigelJK »

Sorry for the delay RL getting in the way of important stuff.
Rotation is exactly what I need. I'll take a look at Thargoids wiki page.