Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

modifying stations ubication

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

modifying stations ubication

Post by commanderxairon »

as you guys might know im making a new shipset that has bigger stations and with big i say they are like 5000% bigger, how can i modify the orbit of the station so it is farer from the planet? (it reachs the navigation buoy, they are THAT big)
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

Kuroshido(RXS-mariana) : scooby doobi doo?....

MY CREW
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: modifying stations ubication

Post by Rese249er »

The Wiki has that info... And WTF is ubication?
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

ubication = a highly magniloquent (couldn't resist! :P) way of saying position...

of latin origin, no less, so I'd guess commanderxairon's first language is a neo-latin one - spanish maybe?
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Kaks wrote:
ubication = a highly magniloquent (couldn't resist! :P) way of saying position...

of latin origin, no less, so I'd guess commanderxairon's first language is a neo-latin one - spanish maybe?

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING

exacto compañero !
Pirate Commander: I would taken over Anleis and maked the first pirate system on this Ooniverse and become the monarch of all that empire if This stupid boy and his ship would'nt interfeer

MY CREW
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

commanderxairon wrote:
as you guys might know im making a new shipset that has bigger stations and with big i say they are like 5000% bigger, how can i modify the orbit of the station so it is farther from the planet? (it reachs the navigation buoy, they are THAT big)
Something along these lines:-

Code: Select all

system.mainStation.position = system.mainStation.position.subtract(system.mainStation.heading.multiply(1000000));
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

commanderxairon wrote:
has bigger stations and with big i say they are like 5000% bigger,
Be prepared that ships also anticipate on this size, which might lead to unwanted situations. With the big tori stations I seldom found weirdness, but with the big station in Aqualina I already started to see oddities. One thing is that launching ships start by making distance to the station first. That could lead to ships flying straight on for a long time before they start changing directions. This behaviour is based on the length of the dock size, so try not making them to deep.
[for Thargoid: launching ships in the Aqualine main station fly straight on till they almost hit the buoy. I think that fast ships sometimes will hit the buoy. Easiest solution would be to make the dock half as deep.]

Than you have the collision avoidance of ships. For bigger stations it triggers sooner. Test yourself if it will be too soon. Will not be a problem for ships heading for the station. but might give problems with scavengers that try to scoop floating debris near a station or with ships being active in a fight near the station.
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

Eric Walch wrote:
I think that fast ships sometimes will hit the buoy.
or go on and crush in the planet XDDDD

MY CREW
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

Eric Walch wrote:
[for Thargoid: launching ships in the Aqualine main station fly straight on till they almost hit the buoy. I think that fast ships sometimes will hit the buoy. Easiest solution would be to make the dock half as deep.]
The station doesn't actually have a dock subentity - it's a proximity-dock station. Changing it would me redoing the whole station, so it may be simpler to just move the buoy. I'll look at that when I next update the OXP.
commanderxairon
Deadly
Deadly

uhmm i have gived up on this... i prefer just to make a mooring point like the ones on freelancer... there's a good space station tutorial arround?

MY CREW