Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Neolite and scooping of baddies

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly
Location: Some buggy planet at the edge of the known universe

Neolite and scooping of baddies

Post by DredgerMan »

I had to remove Neolite 1.1 (Core Replace_1 and Core Resources A and B) because they stopped me from being able to capture or rescue escape pod occupiers. I use Oolite 1.76.1. Any idea what i could do to change the Neolites so I can reload them? I quite like the Neolite ships and graphics.
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

under Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 64-bit
with a Geforce GT610 videocard
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: Neolite and scooping of baddies

Post by Eric Walch »

Just compare his escape pods with the default ones. I remember he had code in it to prevent it from getting pilots. No idea why it is never corrected as I already made a remark about it in the neolites topic years ago. I can't remember the exact bug as it is corrected long ago with me.
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Thanks Eric,

I found the 'evil'-doer, removed it and checked it. I can now scoop the baddies with Neolite loaded.

I'm not too sure you can class it as a bug, though. He must have deliberately added the piece of code, so I would class it as a feature rather than a bug, even if I could personally not see why it would be a wished outcome. It would be helpful though if a remark was added to the wiki page for Neolite to state that this OXP will prevent you from capturing or rescuing escape pod occupants.
Flying The Sizzlin' Suzie VI, a trusty and venerable Boa Class Cruiser in Oolite 1.84 on

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, if it was meant as a feature, it would surely be documented as such somewhere.

But if the code was inserted (however deliberately) without fully understanding what it does—and in all likeliness without intending to do what it did—that's clearly a bug. :wink:
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

It is a bug. And 3 years ago it was already mentioned as bug to Simon here. And in the next post Simon answers that he will correct that in his next update. But, somehow the neolites are a dead project. :(
Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

Eric Walch wrote:
But, somehow the neolites are a dead project. :(
The latest update on Neolites by Simon was on 2012-06-05 (to bring it in accordance with the replacement/additional ships reorg), so it seems there is still some life in it.

From the readme, Neolites are licensed by GPL v.2. So even if Simon does not want or cannot correct the bugs for whatever reason, anybody else can.
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Commander McLane wrote:
Well, if it was meant as a feature, it would surely be documented as such somewhere.

But if the code was inserted (however deliberately) without fully understanding what it does—and in all likeliness without intending to do what it did—that's clearly a bug. :wink:
Many if's, surely and but's here. How about we compromise it as a buggy feature? :D

DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Eric Walch wrote:
It is a bug. And 3 years ago it was already mentioned as bug to Simon here. And in the next post Simon answers that he will correct that in his next update. But, somehow the neolites are a dead project. :(
Ok, if the creator agrees it is a bug, it IS a bug. Case closed.

Oh, and I must have missed something in my repairs. It seems that if I collect more than one escape pod with occupants, only one will be shown as such upon docking, The rest are still slaves. :(

Back to the drawing board, I guess

Edited due to spelling mistakes
Last edited by DredgerMan on Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Gimbal Locke wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
The latest update on Neolites by Simon was on 2012-06-05 (to bring it in accordance with the replacement/additional ships reorg), so it seems there is still some life in it.

From the readme, Neolites are licensed by GPL v.2. So even if Simon does not want or cannot correct the bugs for whatever reason, anybody else can.
I am pretty sure that was not done by Simon, but by Capt. Murphy.

Edited due to search result showing Capt. Murphy posting an update on the OXP's
Last edited by DredgerMan on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gimbal Locke
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimbal Locke »

DredgerMan wrote:
Gimbal Locke wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:

I am pretty sure that was not done by Simon, but by someone else whose name escapes me at the meoment. Was it Capt. Murphy?
Indeed, you seem to be right about that.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

He's Commodore Murphy nowadays, BTW.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

And still around if a little quiet (busy with RL) the last few weeks - I will make time to pick up on some Oolite stuff this weekend. :wink:
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

Wildeblood wrote:
He's Commodore Murphy nowadays, BTW.
No doubt a well deserved promotion, my belated congratulations, Captain ... uuuuh, Commodore Murphy. :)

Might be a tad confusing, though, talking about the Commodore Captain Murphy. Especially considering a certain Captain Commodore Murphy, the BBC Bug-Slaying Beast of Balaklava, known throughout all the lands (Ok, only those lands directly surrounding Balaklava). :D

DredgerMan
Deadly
Deadly

Post by DredgerMan »

DredgerMan wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:
Ok, if the creator agrees it is a bug, it IS a bug. Case closed.

Oh, and I must have missed something in my repairs. It seems that if I collect more than one escape pod with occupants, only one will be shown as such upon docking, The rest are still slaves. :(

Back to the drawing board, I guess

Edited due to spelling mistakes
Ok, that was interesting. If you remove the line: unpiloted = yes you get one scooped pod as capture/rescue. The next pod you scoop overwrites the first one. Only by keeping the line above and change it to no do you get the chance to capture/rescue as many pilots as you can get in front of your scoops. Hmm, does that mean that even a 51 yo can learn something? :shock:

Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

DredgerMan wrote:
Ok, that was interesting. If you remove the line: unpiloted = yes you get one scooped pod as capture/rescue. The next pod you scoop overwrites the first one. Only by keeping the line above and change it to no do you get the chance to capture/rescue as many pilots as you can get in front of your scoops.
Setting to no should be the same as completely removing the line because this key defaults to no. Simon wanted to do better than the original by adding that key and setting it to yes to start with an empty escape pod. But unpiloted means unpiloted for ever and such objects never will get any pilot. It is hardcoded with:

Code: Select all

- (void) setCrew: (NSArray*) crewArray
{
	if (isUnpiloted) 
	{
		//unpiloted ships cannot have crew
		return;
	}
So, when the system tries to add the pilot to the pod, the code fails in adding the pilot (crew actually) by intention.
And the default 'cargo' of escape capsules is 'slaves':

Code: Select all

cargo_type = "CARGO_SLAVES";
And now I remember that Capt. Murphy released an update recently. I even attended him about some bugs. This one I had forgotten already. :lol: