Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The new MacBook Pro

Discussion and announcements regarding the Mac port… er, original version of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

The new MacBook Pro

Post by JensAyton »

So, do we have any rich early adopters here?

In the nightlies, Oolite should support high-resolution modes. I have a limited ability to test this on my measly 1920 × 1200 screen, but it seems right – the game fits the window properly and the mouse cursor lines up right, which are the main things that could go wrong. Still, some testing on the Real Thing would be helpful, in particular:
  • Does gameplay in the nightly, as opposed to 1.76.1, look appropriately high-resolutiony? (The splash screen should also be sharper.)
  • Do the lines in the crosshairs and radar and the dust particles look about the right size (i.e., not tiny)?
  • Does full-screen work, and what full-screen modes are listed?
  • Is performance OK?
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The new MacBook Pro

Post by JazHaz »

Not tried trunk with it yet, but my stepson has a 27" iMac that I bought him recently. It runs at better-than-HD, 2560 by 1440 pixels. Over £1600!
maik
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard
Location: Ljubljana, Slovenia (mainly industrial, feudal, TL12)

Post by maik »

I wish... But I already early-adopted the first MacBook Air and was bitten by the 2nd generation that came out 6 months later, had a more standard monitor output (I can't connect mine to my CinemaDisplay), which will be able to run Mountain Lion when it comes out (mine won't), and, if I recall correctly, was significantly cheaper. So I'll hold out for at least the 2nd generation of the MBPwRD...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

JazHaz wrote:
Not tried trunk with it yet, but my stepson has a 27" iMac that I bought him recently. It runs at better-than-HD, 2560 by 1440 pixels. Over £1600!
Not useful. I already know it runs on big screen, but high resolution modes (in the true sense of the term) are different.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

What would happen if you put an Oolite setup on a USB stick and took it into an Apple store and said "Can I see if it runs my software?"
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It could work, but I don’t really have time for international travel right now. :-)
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Ahruman wrote:
It could work, but I don’t really have time for international travel right now. :-)
I actually meant if someone did so, however ... oh, there are no Apple retail outlets in Sweden. Your nearest is in Amsterdam.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

SandJ wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
I actually meant if someone did so, however ... oh, there are no Apple retail outlets in Sweden. Your nearest is in Amsterdam.
If it's still needed, I can try it the coming Thursday. I asked the local salesperson if I could test it. The response was "ok if it won't take too long". He also said the test macs are connected to the apple server and he didn't know if the computer would allow it. Maybe computer will say "no" :( .

I assume I can install trunk on an usb stick on my mac mini and use that on the powerbook?
Pluisje
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Pluisje »

Just a short test today. The salesperson was in front of the mac and hardly let me do anything...
  • Does gameplay in the nightly, as opposed to 1.76.1, look appropriately high-resolutiony? (The splash screen should also be sharper.) They both look very sharp. I forgot to check the splash screen, sorry.
  • Do the lines in the crosshairs and radar and the dust particles look about the right size (i.e., not tiny)? The screen shots I took show no difference in size of the crosshair or particles. I couldn't see the particles during the test, only in the screen shots.
  • Does full-screen work, and what full-screen modes are listed? It does work. There was a screen size bigger than 2560x1600 listed. I sadly didn't take a screenshot of that and I can't remember the size.
  • Is performance OK? It was silky smooth. But I only launched a virgin Jameson, so there was hardly anything flying. I should have written down the spawn debug-command (although it's probably "spawn", right :roll: ?)
Screen shots of Oolite in full screen mode at 2560x1600 are at the site of Selezen:

http://daftworks.co.uk/oomages/Test%201 ... Retina.png

The screenshots are too big to display on the forum
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Thank you.
phonebook
Deadly
Deadly

Post by phonebook »

just came accross this thread

i have a new mbp retina, and virgin oolite works well, the graphics are superb whether in a small window or full screen, have run lots of resolutions (tho not full on the retina because it needs a script to allow it) , but also very high resolution on a thunderbolt display- no problems at all

however some OXPs don't like it- I have started a thread on this here:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12643