Q Mine

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Q Mine

Post by Fatleaf »

I was engaging one of LittleBears Renegade Pirates, was victorious and shot the Q Mine it left behind. I have Gal Navy installed and as soon as I shot the mine, the Navy started attacking me and I had an offender status!!! :?
I am sure one of my shots never went astray or hit something else.

Has anybody experienced this before?
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Q Mine

Post by Switeck »

I guess the Q-mine was "clean" when you shot him!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

That is because LB does not use the correct way of launching q-mines. He just spawns them and than they get a neutral scanclass. And, indeed the mine itself is clean :D

When he would have added the mine as carried weapon, the mine would have been launched with a mine scanclass. That was already the official way to launch a q-mine since 1.65, but I think this oxp is even older.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Eric Walch wrote:
When he would have added the mine as carried weapon, the mine would have been launched with a mine scanclass. That was already the official way to launch a q-mine since 1.65, but I think this oxp is even older.
It's an 1.65 OXP (released on Nov 30th, 2006, while 1.65 is from April 2006). I just think that LittleBear wasn't that versed in scripting yet when he wrote it.

And he would certainly allow an update/bugfix if asked. :)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
It's an 1.65 OXP (released on Nov 30th, 2006, while 1.65 is from April 2006). I just think that LittleBear wasn't that versed in scripting yet when he wrote it.
Also the devs are to blame as there was no way Little Bear could know it. When looking at the announcements for the 1.65 release, there is no mention of it. The readMe file that came with 1.65 only gives a weak hint:

Code: Select all

• NPC ships now occasionally deploy q-bombs!
But none of the internal ships had the code and on this bb, I also couldn't find a reference of its use being explained. The oldest reference to the needed has_energy_bomb I found here But that was already in 2007 without explaining were the key was for. And I assume it is added to the wiki at the earliest in end 2007. So no ship designer to blame. Although its my opinion that the legacy death_script that spawns the q-bomb should be removed end replaced with this key.
It also makes much more sense of a ship ejecting the bomb just before death to hold off attackers, instead of deploying it when already being dead.