What is the original title?

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

What is the original title?

Post by marcusrg »

Well, this was a short story I read a long time ago. It was in a book with several short sci-fi stories, which was called "Sci-fi for those who doesn't like sci-fi". The short story was about an amusement park somewhere, where there was this feature, as a time machine, so you could go inside, time travel, go back to dinossaurs time and kill one of them. The dinossaur you was about to kill was intended to die that time, anyway. You could not step outside the lines showed by the guides, you should do nothing else besides "killing" that dinossaur they pointed you. Well, when the man comes back to his real time, things were different, the language, the writing letters, much things was different. And at last he noticed, below his shoe, there was a dead butterfly, which he has killed back in time.

Well, the book said this was an Arthur C. Clarke short story, but I couldn't find it anywhere in google, or over the internet.

Does anyone know it, and it's original title?
Last edited by marcusrg on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: What is the original title?

Post by Selezen »

"A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury

(Edited - grabbed wrong info before)
marcusrg
Deadly
Deadly

Post by marcusrg »

Selezen wrote:
"A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury

(Edited - grabbed wrong info before)

Ok, that's the one. I've just read the plot summary in the wikipedia, that was the story. And it's not from Arthur C. Clarke, I can see. It has been so long time since I read it, and it was a great story! Thanks for the answer. :)
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

I have one of these, too. I should also like help identifying a story, please

They invent a sort of time tunnel, which is a circular hole and on the other side it is the past.

They try using grappling hooks pushed through the hole to keep it stable, but fail.

What they do manage to do is retrieve a clutch of dinosaur eggs that was lying on the ground on the other side. They hatch them successfully. For some reason one dinosaur gets burned - the meat is delicious and they go on to have a global dinosaur meat business.

I don't know the author or title.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

That sounds familiar, but I have no idea what it is!
</ useless mode>
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

SandJ wrote:
I have one of these, too. I should also like help identifying a story, please

They invent a sort of time tunnel, which is a circular hole and on the other side it is the past.

They try using grappling hooks pushed through the hole to keep it stable, but fail.

What they do manage to do is retrieve a clutch of dinosaur eggs that was lying on the ground on the other side. They hatch them successfully. For some reason one dinosaur gets burned - the meat is delicious and they go on to have a global dinosaur meat business.

I don't know the author or title.
I think that's "A Statue for Father" by Isaac Asimov.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Disembodied wrote:
I think that's "A Statue for Father" by Isaac Asimov.
It is, yes! Thank you. I had not thought it was an Asimov story, and would have never guessed the title. I shall see if that is in any of the anthologies in the library.

Now for another, if I may.

I think I read this short story in school about 32 years ago.

He dies and his corpse is put into orbit around Earth (I think).

Millennia later, humanity has died out, and exploring aliens arrive.

They find his body and reconstruct his mind, but put him into a mechanical spider-like body that will last forever. The aliens opted to switch to such bodies themselves in the past. They cannot breed any more, but they only die when some awful disaster occurs to one of them.

They welcome him and say he is now eternal and can spend forever exploring the heavens, just as they do.

He sets off on his own, and eventually comes to a planet where he has a fall. He is stuck, with a broken body, and facing the sky. He is unable to move, unable to communicate, and unable to die.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.