Anti-collision seems not to be working.

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Fatleaf
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Anti-collision seems not to be working.

Post by Fatleaf »

I have noticed that when I scoop a scoopable item that an NPC was going for, no matter what distance they are away from my ship they always end up going in a straight course and ramming me. That is the case even when I scoop the item long before they do. The anti-collision seems to be switched off.
Find out about the early influences of Fatleaf here. Also his OXP's!
Holds the Ooniversal record for "Thread Necromancy"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Anti-collision seems not to be working.

Post by Commander McLane »

That could be the result of being stuck in the "scoop" AI-state.
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

It may be a flaw of "working as designed".
Since they are scooping another "ship" (albeit a small cargo canister "ship"), I'd think collision detection would have to be partially or fully disabled or they'd be unwilling to complete that task.

Docking might be another example of this...both scooping and docking look like a deliberate ram, except something else besides violent nastiness is supposed to happen at or before the moment of contact.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Switeck wrote:
Since they are scooping another "ship" (albeit a small cargo canister "ship"), I'd think collision detection would have to be partially or fully disabled or they'd be unwilling to complete that task.
With all behaviours, collision-pre-warning is disabled for the primary target itself. Or, indeed, scooping or docking would become impossible. :lol:
When two ships go for the same pod, they should get a warning about an imminent collision between them. I just think they have no time to react in time.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Switeck wrote:
It may be a flaw of "working as designed".

Docking might be another example of this...both scooping and docking look like a deliberate ram, except something else besides violent nastiness is supposed to happen at or before the moment of contact.
They have collision detection disabled for their primary target, but not in general. If they got their primary target switched to the player in a way that didn't shake them out of scoop mode, that could do it.

Entirely possible with scripting or particular combinations of AI commands, so it should probably check that its target is still isCargo on each frame. I'll fix this in trunk tonight.

(I can also see how the injector use when scooping from the other thread is happening, so I'll fix that as well)
CommonSenseOTB
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommonSenseOTB »

I'm not sure if this is entirely related, but in my testing of late, I've noticed at least 5 or 6 instances where I could shoot but not scoop the cargo pods from a cluster of them(probably from the same ship each cluster was). I could also fly right through these pods as well. I'm currently using trunk with the crosshair code change(revision 5016?). Hope that helps. Nothing in the logs.
Take an idea from one person and twist or modify it in a different way as a return suggestion so another person can see a part of it that can apply to the oxp they are working on.

CommonSense 'Outside-the-Box' Design Studios Ltd.
WIKI+OXPs