[TRUNK] Galactic Jump Bug

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: [TRUNK] Galactic Jump Bug

Post by cim »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
I think I've found another buglet with the new wormhole code.

In 1.76.1, docking with a carrier (I tested with a Behemoth), giving it an exit.System() command via the console, then launching places the player some distance away from the carrier in the new system (which probably isn't correct behaviour anyway, but....), doing the same in r5008 places the player so close to the carrier and flying in it's direction that collision and death are inevitable.

Edit to add, it doesn't seem to affect launching after using 'the docking with a carrier' route to escaping Interstellar space.
Confirmed.

What I think needs to happen is that when the carrier jumps, rather than the player then launching, immediately hitting its wormhole, and being transported to the new system in its wake - travelling at launch speed rather than wormhole speed - the player needs to be moved to the new system at that point without undocking them. The carrier can then move around as normal, and undock them later.
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Capt. Murphy wrote:
In 1.76.1, docking with a carrier (I tested with a Behemoth), giving it an exit.System() command via the console, then launching places the player some distance away from the carrier in the new system (which probably isn't correct behaviour anyway, but....), doing the same in r5008 places the player so close to the carrier and flying in it's direction that collision and death are inevitable
Mostly fixed in r5021, I think, along with "crash if you spend too long on the carrier before launching" and "launch to a location some distance from the carrier". It won't work properly with a carrier misjump yet, but I want to make sure the basic behaviour is sound before I try to handle those.
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

Seems to work well cim. Also very nice that the player can remain docked, and with a scripted refuel the carrier can make further jumps.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Rese249er
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Rese249er »

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing just how well it works with the St. J.
Got all turned around, lost my nav connection... Where am I now?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

And carrier misjumps are now also handled correctly in r5022. (If the carrier doesn't have interstellar undocking, then you'll need to wait for the Thargoids to shoot it down to have a look around outside, of course)
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Hmm, without interstellar undocking, the behaviour is supposed to be consistent with 1.65, which didn't have interstellar undocking: the player could still launch at will, but upon launch they'd find themselves in a nearby system, rather than in interstellar space.

The assumption was that the carrier had jumped to that system at some unspecified time while the player was on board: as a corollary to the above, a carrier destroyed in interstellar space in 1.65 was assumed to perform an emergency jump the instant before being obliterated. I doubt that such an edge case actually happened in normal play with 1.65, though: in that verson of Oolite interstellar space was a lot quieter than it is now... :P

Anywho, enough with reminiscences!

If - in trunk - carriers in interstellar space without interstellar_undocking stop the player from launching, but do launch the player upon being destroyed, I'm afraid their behaviour does need to be revisited...
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Kaks wrote:
If - in trunk - carriers in interstellar space without interstellar_undocking stop the player from launching, but do launch the player upon being destroyed, I'm afraid their behaviour does need to be revisited...
Ah, no, you can launch, but you and the carrier end up in a nearby system as usual if you do. So you can't easily prove that it misjumped in the first place.

I didn't explicitly change the emergency launch code for carriers without interstellar_undocking being destroyed, so I don't know if that's something which changed between 1.65 and 1.76, or something which changed as a consequence of something I did.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Ok, the emergency launch code behaviour might well have been a mistook I maed way back then... I suppose I'll have a proper look at some point! :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)