Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Vanishing HUD

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Vanishing HUD

Post by richard.a.p.smith »

Hi. I have the MilHUD installed (Milspec HUD v4.0) so it could be that but as it's intermittent it's hard to say. The entire HUD vanishes periodically, leaving the missiles loaded at the bottom but nearly everything else goes - no lollysticks or anything to say what your missile is locked on, etc. It seems to have period of time or a particular playing session where this happens and it comes and goes, returning when someone fires at me or something like that, then disappearing. I have also noticed there is a correlation with the long range scanner which I use to head for trouble in a system; if the HUD is there when the game decides to do this then doing f6-f6-f5, possibly on the second f6, makes the HUD go away again. I have not had the presence of mind to check the log before now but I'll try to remember to do that if I get this problem again. I'll also try doing it without the MilHUD. Anyone else seen anything like this? Rich.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Vanishing HUD

Post by SandJ »

And when it recurs, pause the game <p> and press lower-case oh <o> and see if that makes it come back.

(When I first turned the HUD off by pressing the O key when paused, it gave me the eeby-jeebies.)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

It can disappear when you get very low energy levels during a battle, and reappear when energy replenishes.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

The [EliteWiki] Repair System can also repair this in flight. I use the MilHud 4000 and find that it disappears during combat. If the repair system doesn't get around to it (repairing other stuff) then usually after docking and then launching it will be back.
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Tricky wrote:
The [EliteWiki] Repair System can also repair this in flight. I use the MilHud 4000 and find that it disappears during combat. If the repair system doesn't get around to it (repairing other stuff) then usually after docking and then launching it will be back.
Are you referring to the whole HUD blanking out, or just the radar scanner disappearing when it's damaged in combat? If the latter, that's quite deliberate:-
For a bit more of a combat challenge, the scanner can now be knocked out temporarily during combat, and will blank out, but will reset itself once combat is over (assuming the player survives). :twisted:
It (the radar scanner) should only disappear when damaged during combat, and should re-appear immediately when you escape your attackers and return to yellow or green alert. It has nothing to do with repair bots. It's also easily changed if you dislike it, just ask in the M4000 thread:-

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11400
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Hi. I have the MilHUD installed (Milspec HUD v4.0) so it could be that but as it's intermittent it's hard to say. The entire HUD vanishes periodically, leaving the missiles loaded at the bottom but nearly everything else goes - no lollysticks or anything to say what your missile is locked on, etc. It seems to have period of time or a particular playing session where this happens and it comes and goes, returning when someone fires at me or something like that, then disappearing. I have also noticed there is a correlation with the long range scanner which I use to head for trouble in a system; if the HUD is there when the game decides to do this then doing f6-f6-f5, possibly on the second f6, makes the HUD go away again. I have not had the presence of mind to check the log before now but I'll try to remember to do that if I get this problem again. I'll also try doing it without the MilHUD. Anyone else seen anything like this? Rich.
It sounds like one of the HUD files - there are five in Milspec HUD, for docked, green, yellow, combat and panic - is corrupted. Possibly the green alert one.
Tricky
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Tricky »

Wildeblood wrote:
Tricky wrote:
Are you referring to the whole HUD blanking out, or just the radar scanner disappearing when it's damaged in combat? If the latter, that's quite deliberate:-
For a bit more of a combat challenge, the scanner can now be knocked out temporarily during combat, and will blank out, but will reset itself once combat is over (assuming the player survives). :twisted:
It (the radar scanner) should only disappear when damaged during combat, and should re-appear immediately when you escape your attackers and return to yellow or green alert. It has nothing to do with repair bots. It's also easily changed if you dislike it, just ask in the M4000 thread:-

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11400
Hmm... Maybe I should take this to the M4000 thread when I get back home. I've noticed it sometimes doesn't come back even after jumping to a new system. I haven't had this for a while so I can't pin-point it down.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

SandJ wrote:
And when it recurs, pause the game <p> and press lower-case oh <o> and see if that makes it come back.
One of the things I suspected at first but no, it's not that.
JazHaz wrote:
It can disappear when you get very low energy levels during a battle, and reappear when energy replenishes.
No, it does it before any fighting occurs, on arrival in a system typically and it's just not there . . .
Tricky wrote:
. . . so it's not to do with damage. It's not the M4000, it's the Wyvern original - MilHUD-v4.0.oxp.
Wildeblood wrote:
Are you referring to the whole HUD blanking out, or just the radar scanner disappearing when it's damaged in combat?
It's the entire thing except the missiles bit at the bottom left. I can see the stars and background, ships and so on (don't think I can see the stuff such as "Python, fugitive, 42.0 bounty", though).
Wildeblood wrote:
It sounds like one of the HUD files - there are five in Milspec HUD, for docked, green, yellow, combat and panic - is corrupted. Possibly the green alert one.
I'll try removing the oxp and putting it in again.
Wildeblood wrote:
Hmm... Maybe I should take this to the M4000 thread when I get back home. I've noticed it sometimes doesn't come back even after jumping to a new system. I haven't had this for a while so I can't pin-point it down.
Just a reminder - it's not the M4000 OXP. I'm not certain that it's the HUD OXP either, just an obvious thought as it's the HUD that vanishes. Not had the time to test it.

I'll try to remember to do intelligent things such as take screen shots and look at the log. It's also intermittent.

Thanks for the replies! Rich.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

I have a pic of this now - how do I paste it here? This one is nothing to do with long range scanner, not from directly using it at least. Just appeared after g-jump at the very first system. I had reinstalled the MilHUD so perhaps a corrupted file is not the problem. The HUD stays off while docked. How do I upload a file without a web site? Ta, Rich.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
I have a pic of this now... How do I upload a file without a web site?
You need to open a free personal account with someone like photobucket (there are others), upload the image to there, then post the image link here.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Ta, I'll look into the photobucket thing.

The log doesn't have anything to note about this, by the way, just a TCAT error (I'll post there).

Rich
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Here's that image. Bit crap but it shows the idea.
Rich
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Here's that image. Bit crap but it shows the idea.
Rich
As I suspected, that's the docked HUD. How did you get it while in flight?

1. The green alert HUD is corrupted, missing or has been accidentally overwritten with the docked HUD.

Check the log for a message that (IIRC) "milhud-green.plist" has failed to parse.
Open the OXP's Config folder and check the green HUD is actually there.
Is its file size the same as the yellow and combat HUDs, or small like the docked HUD?

2. The script has been "experimented" with, unsuccessfully.

You know whether or not you've been messing with the script...?
Post the whole script here, if you want. It's not very long.

3. Another script, outside MilHUD, is interfering with it.

Are you by chance using Explorers' Club with the photo record option on?
Post the top of your latest.log file, where it lists all the OXPs you're using.
richard.a.p.smith
Deadly
Deadly

Wildeblood wrote:
The sequence of events was this. Remove MilHUD oxp folder, drag and drop from the downloaded zip file to "reinstall" it, do a shift-restart. I was in G2 at Ersoonve. Launch. Do a g-jump to G3 (I used the galactic hyperdrive thing where you can choose from a few destinations but based on what I've seen of this problem I do not think it's at all relevant). On arrival that's the screen I got so I remembered to hit PrtScn. It was the normal one on launching, by the way.
Wildeblood wrote:
Check the log for a message that (IIRC) "milhud-green.plist" has failed to parse.
Is its file size the same as the yellow and combat HUDs, or small like the docked HUD?
The image came from the last time I started Oolite so the logs are relevant; neither the log from the last session nor the previous log contain the words "parse" or "green" by doing a shift-F in Notepad and there are five entries for "milhud", none of which say anything about an error.
The config sub-folder contains seven files; hud, milhudblank, milhudcrit, milhudgreen, milhudred, milhudyellow and world-scripts.
File sizes; milhudgreen is 6 KB, -crit, -red and -yellow are 7 KB. The other files are 1 KB.
Wildeblood wrote:
The script has been "experimented" with, unsuccessfully.
No, I've done nothing like that.
Wildeblood wrote:
Are you by chance using Explorers' Club with the photo record option on?
Yes that's there but I am not aware of switching on that option.
Wildeblood wrote:
Post the top of your latest.log file, where it lists all the OXPs you're using.
Posted below. Ta, Rich.
../AddOns/APRIL Pylon Loader 1.02.oxp
../AddOns/Aquatics 2.28.oxp
../AddOns/Assassins.oxp
../AddOns/AsteroidStorm 4.03.oxp
../AddOns/att1.oxp
../AddOns/Basic-debug.oxp
../AddOns/BGS-A1.4.1.oxp
../AddOns/BigShips 1.02.oxp
../AddOns/BountyScannerv2.0.oxp
../AddOns/BountyStatus 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/Cabal_Common_Library1.5.2.oxp
../AddOns/CloakRepair.oxp
../AddOns/Commies.oxp
../AddOns/Deep Horizons - Lights Down.oxp
../AddOns/DeepSpacePirates 1.3.oxp
../AddOns/Deposed1.3.4.oxp
../AddOns/display_reputation.oxp
../AddOns/Docking Clearance.oxp
../AddOns/Energy Equipment 1.11.oxp
../AddOns/Escape_Capsule_Locator_1.4.1_2012-06-05.oxp
../AddOns/Executive Spaceways v2.4.oxp
../AddOns/Explorers'_Club_1.3.2_2012-03-05.oxp
../AddOns/farsun.oxp
../AddOns/Fuel Station 1.34.oxp
../AddOns/FuelCollectorV0.07.oxp
../AddOns/Galactic Hyperdrive 1.1.1.oxp
../AddOns/GalaxyInfo.oxp
../AddOns/GalDrivePod v1.3.oxp
../AddOns/Generation Ships.oxp
../AddOns/halsis.oxp
../AddOns/Halsis_BGS.oxp
../AddOns/Illegal_goods_tweak_1.7.3_2012.05.30.oxp
../AddOns/illicit_unlock_FIX1.56.oxp
../AddOns/InterstellarTweaks.oxp
../AddOns/ionics-1.3.1.oxp
../AddOns/Iron_Raven_v1.2fix.oxp
../AddOns/LongRangeScanner v0.3.oxp
../AddOns/longway 1.1.oxp
../AddOns/lovecats 1.3.0.oxp
../AddOns/MilHUD-v4.0.oxp
../AddOns/Military Fuel Injectors 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/Misjump Analyser 1.1.oxp
../AddOns/Naval Grid 1.00.oxp
../AddOns/nuvipers.oxp
../AddOns/offender_traders.oxp
../AddOns/ooCheat 1.10.oxp
../AddOns/OresratiChalenge v0.9.oxp
../AddOns/Ore_processor 1.59.oxp
../AddOns/OXPConfig2.0.10.oxp
../AddOns/Pods 1.22.oxp
../AddOns/Police_Scanner_Upgrade_1.3.1_2011-12-18.oxp
../AddOns/Q-Chargerv1.2.oxp
../AddOns/randomshipnames1.2.oxp
../AddOns/RepairBots 2.07.oxp
../AddOns/Rock_Hermit_Locator1.3.3.oxp
../AddOns/Saleza v2.3.oxp
../AddOns/ShieldCycler 0.30.2.oxp
../AddOns/ShieldEqualizer+Capacitors(v1.3).oxp
../AddOns/Snoopers2.2.1.oxp
../AddOns/Stealth 1.04.oxp
../AddOns/sunskimmers.oxp
../AddOns/supercobra 1.4.2.oxp
../AddOns/Switeck's Shipping v0.5.oxp
../AddOns/TalkativeCompass_1.0.3.oxp
../AddOns/Taranis 1.3.oxp
../AddOns/Target Autolock Plus 1.12.oxp
../AddOns/TargetTracker v0.2.oxp
../AddOns/TCAT 1.11.oxp
../AddOns/Tionisla Reporter 1.0.1.oxp
../AddOns/Tori2.01.oxp
../AddOns/total_patrol.oxp
../AddOns/Trading Assistant 1.2.oxp
../AddOns/Traffic Control 1.11.oxp
../AddOns/Trident Down v2.4.oxp
../AddOns/Victim11_1.0..oxp
../AddOns/Welcome Mat 1.12.oxp
../AddOns/XeptatlsSwordv1.0.2.oxp
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
The image came from the last time I started Oolite so the logs are relevant; neither the log from the last session nor the previous log contain the words "parse" or "green" by doing a shift-F in Notepad and there are five entries for "milhud", none of which say anything about an error.
The config sub-folder contains seven files; hud, milhudblank, milhudcrit, milhudgreen, milhudred, milhudyellow and world-scripts.
File sizes; milhudgreen is 6 KB, -crit, -red and -yellow are 7 KB. The other files are 1 KB.
On arrival in a new system you should always be at condition green or yellow, depending on whether there are other ships nearby. So, my next question is have you ever seen the green HUD? It looks the same as the yellow one, except the scanner is green. If the answer is no, then the file mihudgreen.plist is corrupted. If the answer is yes then something strange is going on.
richard.a.p.smith wrote:
Wildeblood wrote:
The sequence of events was this. Remove MilHUD oxp folder, drag and drop from the downloaded zip file to "reinstall" it, do a shift-restart. I was in G2 at Ersoonve. Launch. Do a g-jump to G3 (I used the galactic hyperdrive thing where you can choose from a few destinations but based on what I've seen of this problem I do not think it's at all relevant). On arrival that's the screen I got so I remembered to hit PrtScn. It was the normal one on launching, by the way.
It might be, actually. Had you seen this problem before you first installed Galactic Hyperdrive OXP?

Do you recall whether you were actually looking at the chart screens, or the flight view, during the jump countdown? That script can store a reference to your normal docked HUD (milhudblank) sometimes (you would have to follow a particular sequence of screen changes), so if you were actually on the short-range chart screen, at the moment of the jump that might do it.

Edit: removed code of Galactic Hyperdrive OXP obsolete version.
Last edited by Wildeblood on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.