White golfball planets due to cloudyness

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

White golfball planets due to cloudyness

Post by Lestradae »

Hi,

playing with a week-old version of trunk I wanted to ask, have newer versions gotten rid of the white golfball due to super-cloudiness problem already, or can I do some "no clouds" patch to see my planetary textures again?

Cheers

L
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: White golfball planets due to cloudyness

Post by cim »

Lestradae wrote:
playing with a week-old version of trunk I wanted to ask, have newer versions gotten rid of the white golfball due to super-cloudiness problem already, or can I do some "no clouds" patch to see my planetary textures again?
If you compile your own, turning off the NEW_PLANETS macro will do it temporarily. In src/Core/Entities/OOStellarBody.h change the line #define NEW_PLANETS 1 to #define NEW_PLANETS 0 and recompile. (There are other ways to do this too)
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Alternatively, you could just pretend the civilisations on those planets have experienced a massive global-warming problem, and gone into terminal Greenhouse Effect mode.. :twisted:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

cim wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
If you compile your own, turning off the NEW_PLANETS macro will do it temporarily. In src/Core/Entities/OOStellarBody.h change the line #define NEW_PLANETS 1 to #define NEW_PLANETS 0 and recompile. (There are other ways to do this too)
And if - as sadly is the case - I do not compile my own, which are these other ways to edit this unintended feature?
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by cim »

Lestradae wrote:
And if - as sadly is the case - I do not compile my own, which are these other ways to edit this unintended feature?
Ah - sorry, I meant there were other ways to get the same result when compiling. For now the only solutions if you can't compile your own are unfortunately "don't use trunk", "don't use any planetary texture OXPs", or "see if anyone has kept a nightly build from before 9 April for your OS".
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

cim wrote:
Lestradae wrote:
Ah - sorry, I meant there were other ways to get the same result when compiling. For now the only solutions if you can't compile your own are unfortunately "don't use trunk", "don't use any planetary texture OXPs", or "see if anyone has kept a nightly build from before 9 April for your OS".
Damn! Looks like I'll simply have to wait for a trunk build that has this fixed then :(
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

On second thoughts ... why are you guys not just switching off the cloudlayer for future trunk versions until this has been repaired or at least something done to repair it?
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Lestradae wrote:
On second thoughts ... why are you guys not just switching off the cloudlayer for future trunk versions until this has been repaired or at least something done to repair it?
That is what should have happened. But, when working on it you need it on and the person working on it just forgot to turn it off again before comitting. On the other hand, it shows now clearly to others that this is a subject for change and might draw other devellopers to this area. :P
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Lestradae wrote:
Because trunk is developers' land and we need to have things that are being worked on... on. It is unreasonable to expect trunk to be adjusted to the convenience of players.