Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Her Imperial Majesty's Space Navy

Post by Gimi »

Commander McLane wrote:
Gimi wrote:
I meant clean. (I consider the fact that you can dock with slaves, narcotics and arms without receiving a bounty on your head a bug.)
My thought was that, essentially it is illegal to trade in Narcotics or Arms. I know you won't get a bounty on docking (without an oxp), but still.
Well, there you are. In your Ooniverse, your rules apply. However, the OXP should essentially work in other people's Ooniverses as well. And your personal rules are in this point contrary to the general Oolite rules, which deem the selling of narcotics and firearms (and slaves) not illegal.
Anyway, this is just a reminder that this general Oolite behaviour should be considered when designing the OXP.
Absolutely agree, and assumptions is the mother of all … ups. I'll try to avoid making any.
I still think that having a naval logistics ship drop only food, arms and medical supplies makes sense though.
Food - often/every time
Arms - sometimes
Medical supplies (narcotics) - rare.
Possibly machinery - rare.
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Gimi wrote:
Absolutely agree, and assumptions is the mother of all … ups. I'll try to avoid making any.
I still think that having a naval logistics ship drop only food, arms and medical supplies makes sense though.
Food - often/every time
Arms - sometimes
Medical supplies (narcotics) - rare.
Possibly machinery - rare.
I'd suggest:

Food - common
Arms - sometimes
Medical supplies (narcotics) - only from hospital/search and rescue ships (which would drop a mix of food, narcotics and alloys)
Machinery - rare
Alloys - sometimes
Radioactives - sometimes
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

It shouldn't take long to do a white version...watch this space. BTW the 'Galactic Navy' capital ships are white :wink:

I found my original HIMSN crest. It's 1000x1000px, and I think is actually better than the one I ended up using on Thunder Child (I thought I'd lost this :roll: ). Click on the thumb for full-size.

Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
BTW the 'Galactic Navy' capital ships are white
A good reason not to use white, then! But I'll quietly withdraw from the 'colours' debate... I like my Navy in metallic greys.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Smivs wrote:
It shouldn't take long to do a white version...watch this space. BTW the 'Galactic Navy' capital ships are white :wink:

I found my original HIMSN crest. It's 1000x1000px, and I think is actually better than the one I ended up using on Thunder Child (I thought I'd lost this :roll: ). Click on the thumb for full-size.
Thanks Smivs. Watching!
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

OK, this has the fuselage in white (well very light grey), but I've left the 'wings' and 'bridge' darker for comparison.

Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Smivs wrote:
OK, this has the fuselage in white (well very light grey), but I've left the 'wings' and 'bridge' darker for comparison.
It's a bit ... beige. If it's going to be grey, it should (I think) be blueish-grey – but I think it would be better brighter and whiter. The greebly panels I like, but would need more contrast (as in the darker wings and bridge). How about something like

http://www.color-hex.com/color/ebf5ff

as a base colour, with

and

http://www.color-hex.com/color/f5faff

and

http://www.color-hex.com/color/adbad1

for highlights and shadows?
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Disembodied wrote:
It's a bit ... beige.
Beige is good...it will bore your enemies to death :wink:

(I think that's a consequence of image compression etc. It looks white here.)
Cody

Post by Cody »

Smivs wrote:
It looks white here.
You sure you've got your colours adjusted right, Smivs... that is beige, and reminds me of old computers.
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Smivs wrote:

I can't help but think those thrusters look a bit bizzare... (probably because they were built for a different ship)

If you pm me the .dat (or even .obj if you have it) I can give it a bit of a touch-up.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

That is light grey on my laptop screen, but very "old computery yellow/beige" on my external screen. Wierd.
I'm going to take a time-out from the colour debate until we have decided on insignia and markings.
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Gimi »

Staer9 wrote:
I can't help but think those thrusters look a bit bizzare... (probably because they were built for a different ship)

If you pm me the .dat (or even .obj if you have it) I can give it a bit of a touch-up.
Breaks on please!
Please don't start modelling just yet. Smivs design, while cool, probably deviates too much from the original Boa design for my taste. We all need to agree on concepts first; please.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<nods vigorously>
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Staer9 wrote:
Thanks Staer9. The whole ship looks a bit bizarre in some ways...I'm just trying ideas out. It is basically a standard Boa2 with various appendages attached (including as you noticed a chopped cobra embedded within it :lol: )
We are keen to keep the ships for this OXP close to the originals, but at some point custom models would be desirable as clearly there is only so much you can do adding other items as sub-ents which is what I'm currently doing.

Edit:- Just seen Gimi's latest post! :D
Staer9
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Staer9 »

Gimi wrote:
Staer9 wrote:

Breaks on please!
Please don't start modelling just yet. Smivs design, while cool, probably deviates too much from the original Boa design for my taste. We all need to agree on concepts first; please.
Heh :)

Sure, but if you need a modeller I'd be happy to help (And I like working with Smivs because I get away with not having to make any textures :wink: )