Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Playing Oolite on X-BOX?

Information, contacts and source code for ports to Linux, Windows, etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

O'neal
Above Average
Above Average

Playing Oolite on X-BOX?

Post by O'neal »

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to load and play Oolite on an X-Box (the original, not the 360) game machine?
I guess I'm asking if the game is ported to this type of platform?
I know that the X-Box is Microsoft but it is a game machine not a computer, correct? Or am I wrong about that.
I understand that it is possible to load Linux on this divice but I have never tried to do it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
O'neal
Formally, Solar Patriot
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Playing Oolite on X-BOX?

Post by SandJ »

Wikipedia's Xbox Linux page says:
The Xbox is a legacy-free PC by Microsoft that consists of an Intel Celeron 733 MHz CPU, an nVidia GeForce 3MX, 64 MB of RAM, a 8/10 GB hard disk, a DVD drive and 10/100 Ethernet. As on every PC, you can run Linux on it.
64 Mb RAM doesn't sound overly generous.

(The Xbox Linux web site appears to be dead.)

Meanwhile the Oolite home site says:
Originally written for Mac OS X, ... Oolite is available for Mac OS X (10.3.9 and higher) and PCs running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Linux. It requires at least a 400 MHz processor, 256 MiB of memory, and a graphics card capable of accelerating OpenGL graphics.
Commander Skellybones says:
Image "Game over, man. Game over."
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
O'neal
Above Average
Above Average

Re: Playing Oolite on X-BOX?

Post by O'neal »

Thank you SandJ for the reply.
I have looked at the links that you provided and it appears that setting up the X-BOX to run linux is no simple task, however, I do enjoy a good challenge. :wink:
I think the whole process is a little risky so I am going to try and get my hands on another X-BOX console before I try this (I like the idea of a backup.)
If I attempt this I will post back with the results.

Thank you again.
O'neal
Formally, Solar Patriot