Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Best way to find stations ?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

SwissMäc
Competent
Competent

Best way to find stations ?

Post by SwissMäc »

Just after exit witchspace, how to find the station ? Compass and scanner works only on short range, but how to find out in which direction to flight?
Is there an expansion, who shows all stations, docks and landing sites ?

Or is there a way, to select the station before jumping, to come out close to the station ?

"One is never too old to learn from a master, Mr. Kidd." :wink:
Gimi
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Best way to find stations ?

Post by Gimi »

SwissMäc wrote:
Just after exit witchspace, how to find the station ? Compass and scanner works only on short range, but how to find out in which direction to flight?
Is there an expansion, who shows all stations, docks and landing sites ?

Or is there a way, to select the station before jumping, to come out close to the station ?

The small compass on your HUD should point to the planet. When you get close enough, it will switch to the main station. To get directions to all stations, you need to buy the Advanced Space Compass equipment. With that you can cycle through the different stations on your space compass.

Se here for more details: [wiki]Advanced Space Compass[/wiki]
"A brilliant game of blasting and trading... Truly a mega-game... The game of a lifetime."
(Gold Medal Award, Zzap!64 May 1985).
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

SwissMäc wrote:
Just after exit witchspace, how to find the station ?
Fly towards the planet. The space station will become visible.
SwissMäc wrote:
No.

But there is an add-on called Gates that lets you jump from near the witchpoint to near the station, at a cost of 250 ₢edits.
SwissMäc wrote:
Are you one of nature's finest killers? :wink:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
SwissMäc
Competent
Competent

Post by SwissMäc »

"Aha": The Advanced Space Compass is mapped on "\" which is easy on US-Keyboards, now i mapped it on "k".
(Buried deep into the opened OSX app: Contents/Resources/Config/keyconfig.plist)
And further: The station buoy marker is NOT in the center of the triangle! (A little to the tip, enlarge the image of the wiki)

Thank you both very much !
SandJ wrote:
Fly towards the planet. The space station will become visible.
This would mean that every system has a station ? Every ?
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

SwissMäc wrote:
This would mean that every system has a station ? Every ?
All 2048 systems have a main station, yes.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

Hola
there is an OXP that gives you a really neat option in travel:
for in system travel.. there is the long range scanner.... it covers then entire 25km sphere around the planet and will show you everything, yes everything in the near area. asteroids, rock hermits, good guys, bad guys, hubs, you name it... kinda like a long range IFF indicator. once you come out of witchspace, go 6,6,5 and go to the first option and it will take you to the station in orbit
The second option will give a list of all known entities in and around the planet. Of course you have to purchase this little baby at 50,000 credits
but if you want to get somewhere without getting into fights, it is worth every credit. OR if you are a bounty hunter,or thargoid hunter, you can pick and chose your target for attack.

for another 150,000 credits you can get the long range jump planner.... with this you can pick your final target outside your 7 year limit and basically make the jump without using fuel. I have gone as many as 32 jomps from end to end on 1 tank of fuel. for those who run trade routes... this makes it automatic... jump to jump. I use it to go from high tech to high tech until my hold is full, then go to a level 1 anarchy and offload my goods at top dollar.
Some are gong to say that this is cheating but I see other OXP's being developed that do the same thing so I think of it as a tool to maximize my profits while minimizing my risk of loss. and No, I do not remember which oxp it is... I have too many to remember which one it is but with a little research,, you can find it.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody

Post by Cody »

<chuckles>
Dawn Trader
Competent
Competent

Post by Dawn Trader »

That oxp is right up my line of work, I have some wonderful trading items that would be best if they are not noticed by the constabuls. I have a ship ( Trader Vic) that can not punch her way out of a polymer net let alone any kind of a fireffight. Even my lovely is telling me things that I never knew about myself or about my Trader Vic. Why did I ever allow her to come along?????
Cloning, It's not for everyone.
SwissMäc
Competent
Competent

Post by SwissMäc »

El Viejo wrote:
All 2048 systems have a main station, yes.
OMG, the Universe has an end ! :shock:

"LongRangeScanner v0.2.oxp.zip" is installed, why isn't it on the list - yuck - requires "Tech Level 13" Huuu...
Expensive, but impressive !
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
Hola
there is an OXP that gives you a really neat option in travel:
for in system travel.. there is the long range scanner.... it covers then entire 25km sphere around the planet and will show you everything, yes everything in the near area. asteroids, rock hermits, good guys, bad guys, hubs, you name it... kinda like a long range IFF indicator. once you come out of witchspace, go 6,6,5 and go to the first option and it will take you to the station in orbit
The second option will give a list of all known entities in and around the planet. Of course you have to purchase this little baby at 50,000 credits
but if you want to get somewhere without getting into fights, it is worth every credit. OR if you are a bounty hunter,or thargoid hunter, you can pick and chose your target for attack.

for another 150,000 credits you can get the long range jump planner.... with this you can pick your final target outside your 7 year limit and basically make the jump without using fuel. I have gone as many as 32 jomps from end to end on 1 tank of fuel. for those who run trade routes... this makes it automatic... jump to jump. I use it to go from high tech to high tech until my hold is full, then go to a level 1 anarchy and offload my goods at top dollar.
Some are gong to say that this is cheating but I see other OXP's being developed that do the same thing so I think of it as a tool to maximize my profits while minimizing my risk of loss. and No, I do not remember which oxp it is... I have too many to remember which one it is but with a little research,, you can find it.

Hmmm.. two more OXP's for which there is no Wiki page.. I didn't know about either of these.. guess I should trawl through the Big List of OXP's now and then..
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Diziet Sma wrote:
Hmmm.. two more OXPs for which there is no Wiki page.. I didn't know about either of these.. guess I should trawl through the Big List of OXPs now and then..
Probably because they are cheats / testing tools.

Off-topic, but, may I ask - why do you use two full stops? (I have seen others do that online too.)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Yah-Ta-Hey
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Yah-Ta-Hey »

look in the oxp list: under the following:
Equipment

Long Range Target Scanner shows all ships currently in your system and allows to target them (has both scanners in this OXP)

Okti (the author)

2011-05-27

Y

as to cheats.. there are Many cheats in this game , you are the one, not someone else who decides that classification in your ooniverse.
Bartle tester says while I am drinking evil juice, I am: 80% killer/ 80 % achiever/ 33% explorer and 0% socializer.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
there are Many cheats in this game , you are the one, not someone else who decides that classification in your ooniverse.
Heh... even I have an extra energy bar in my otherwise-standard Cobra Mk III. Purely for cosmetic reasons, of course.
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

Yah-Ta-Hey wrote:
look in the oxp list: under the following:
Equipment

Long Range Target Scanner shows all ships currently in your system and allows to target them (has both scanners in this OXP)

Okti (the author)

2011-05-27

Y

as to cheats.. there are Many cheats in this game , you are the one, not someone else who decides that classification in your ooniverse.
Thanks for the marketing, how can I pay commision? :D

Actually the link on the wiki page for LRS does not point to the latest version of LongRangeScanner, the link on my sig is correct. Can a wiki wizard can correct it?
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

SandJ wrote:
Off-topic, but, may I ask - why do you use two full stops? (I have seen others do that online too.)
I think it's a kind of 'conversational pause' kind of thing.. like just now, I didn't really start a new sentence, I just inserted a brief pause, and continued. Two full stops at the end of the post is probably roughly analogous to trailing off, waiting for an expected response from whoever I'm talking with..

(And, it gets to be a habit after a while.. hehehe.. :mrgreen: )
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied