Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Laser Re-Routing

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Laser Re-Routing

Post by Cody »

The Rainbow Warrior hits the 'lanes! I've forgotten... is that the Skorpion, Okti?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Okti
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Okti »

El Viejo wrote:
The Rainbow Warrior hits the 'lanes! I've forgotten... is that the Skorpion, Okti?
No El Viejo Skorpion is below:

But it is easy to give a lot of lasers to NPC's. The Rainbow laser is still sitting on my hard disk. Didn't release it because it is too strong but may have an eye candy version of this one.:D.
My OXP's
And Latest Mission Coyote's Run
Cody

Post by Cody »

Ahh yes, I remember now... heh!
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Hawker wrote:
Smivs .. i replied to your post earlier but it didnt post for some reason .. anyway in that post i mentioned that this would aid when fighting with the galactic navy in large thargoid battles, not soley so you can make it easier but mainly so you can delve right in amongst them for longer.

At the moment i just use the cloak until the lasers cool down .. same result just maybe more immersive !!
As you have a Cloak, you will be quite experienced, so you'll know the skill is to limit overheating by careful use of the lasers. The usual advice to novices is that short accurate bursts are the key...really make every shot count. Avoid long bursts and missing :wink:
Also fit an aft gun and learn how to use it. It takes time but this is one of the most valuable skills a Commander can master. By using both (flipping end-to-end) one has cooled before the second overheats, so you effectively have constantly-available lasers. :)
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
Cody

Post by Cody »

If you want/need some extra firepower, try the [EliteWiki] Railgun!
Takes some skill to use, and the slugs cost, but it's a very 'nice' weapon! Oh... welcome aboard, Hawker!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

El Viejo wrote:
The Rainbow Warrior hits the 'lanes!
Hmm.. and here I was thinking it was the "Gay & Lesbian Pride" laser.. :lol:
El Viejo wrote:
If you want/need some extra firepower, try the [EliteWiki] Railgun!
Takes some skill to use, and the slugs cost, but it's a very 'nice' weapon! Oh... welcome aboard, Hawker!
Thanks for reminding me.. I keep meaning to check the railgun out..

And yes, welcome aboard, Hawker! 8)
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

SandJ wrote:
Are you confusing the 'temperature' of the laser with the 'energy'? The laser stops firing because it over-heats, not because it has run out of energy.
Actually it does stop firing at too low energy levels.

To fly an Adder.
The best suggestion I've seen concerning laser overheating is to reduce the speed at which beam lasers overheat: at the moment, they overheat at exactly the same rate as military lasers, and upgrading is a no-brainer once you have the cash.
Are you sure about this ? Is it not equivalent to the damage of a shot ? (ratio of 10 to 12, close eneough to feel like same ?)
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

snork wrote:
Disembodied wrote:
The best suggestion I've seen concerning laser overheating is to reduce the speed at which beam lasers overheat: at the moment, they overheat at exactly the same rate as military lasers, and upgrading is a no-brainer once you have the cash.
Are you sure about this ? Is it not equivalent to the damage of a shot ? (ratio of 10 to 12, close eneough to feel like the same ?)
If it's close, it's very very close ... I admit I didn't use anything more precise than just counting, "one, two, three, four", but both types cut out at what seemed to be the exact same moment (at about "fo...", to get technical ;)). Even if there is a difference, it's too small to be (humanly) noticeable, which to all intents and purposes is the same thing as being identical. I think it would be better to have a perceptible difference between beam and military lasers, to make them feel different in their gameplay as well as performing differently in the numbers.

At the moment the only decision players have to make as regards upgrading from beam to military is, "Can I afford it?" It would be better if there was a genuine decision to make as well, e.g. "What suits my style of play?" It wouldn't take much tweaking: probably no more than making the beam laser cut out on "fi..." or even "si...". Mind you, if the beam and military lasers are so close in terms of damage dealt, this *might* mean that a player's beam laser would need to be tweaked down slightly in terms of damage ... tsk. As with so many things, it gets a lot more complicated when you get into the detail! Basically, though, I think the point still stands: it would be more interesting if the beam laser felt different to the military laser.