Planetary Texture Problems

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Planetary Texture Problems

Post by Kaks »

Ok, last attempt: have you god a text editor like Kate installed? It should have an option to look through all files inside a directory for a specific string. You could use that to find where them strings are.
Mind you, I seem to remember that nautilus had a text search hidden in there somewhere...
One other option is to use an indexing program: instead of the somewhat simpler grep (usually by typing man grep at the command line you get all the information you need in order to get going) you can use slower - but 'pretty looking' indexing applications: three that should be readily available are beagle, strigi or meta tracker.

Meta tracker (aka tracker) is the one that's been updated most recently, but I dimly remember hearing good things about strigi a couple of years ago...

Anyway, tons of options there. Hopefully at least one of them will be of use! ;)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Well, your RepairBots oxp is stuck inside the Staer9 Spectre oxp, but I have to say I'm stumped on the planet problem!
Okay, now I'm really confused. When I add an oxp to my AddOns folder, I actually drop the oxp ON the AddOns tab at the top of the folder. In order for me to get one oxp into another oxp, I would have had to drop one into the other........I'm not sure how I did it, but there it is. I also found the Accipitert.oxp in another oxp folder. Now I'm going to have to go through ALL of the folders to see what else I've confused. :oops:
Mandotech Industries Wiki Page.

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/User:Mandoman
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I also noticed two versions of thargoidcarrier.oxp. Should be harmless, except that there is one small change to one of the models between thargoidcarrier.oxp and thargoidcarrier2.0.oxp. With both installed, I can't say which model file will override which. The other outcome is that you're going to see much more Thargoid Carriers with both versions of the OXP, because the scripts don't override each other.

I haven't scanned for more cases of double OXPs, just noticed this one.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

mandoman wrote:
In order for me to get one oxp into another oxp, I would have had to drop one into the other........I'm not sure how I did it, but there it is. I also found the Accipitert.oxp in another oxp folder. Now I'm going to have to go through ALL of the folders to see what else I've confused. :oops:
glad it is found now. That shows the advantage of the mac way of turning those oxp folders into single files. You can't corrupt the folder structure accidentally. For most users is opening of an oxp folder never needed.
This feature of turning into packages was introduced with osx 10 but already with os9 I had an external tool that could turn folders into packages by a trick and I used that for a lot of my folders.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

mandoman wrote:
Mauiby de Fug wrote:
Regarding your grep problem, try something like grep -lir "Rexebe.png" ~/.Oolite/AddOns/
Thanks, Maulby, but that didn't work either. I have tried several similar commands, and it either says I'm using an unknown grep format, or it just does nothing.
For some mental reason all Unix systems are inconsistent and make it unreasonably hard to "search for my text string within this directory structure".

I see you're using Linux. Good-o. Install the package "gnome-search-tool". Once installed (assuming it isn't already), you will find it in "Accessories", "Search for Files...".

It always searches sub-directories and it always ignores upper/lower case, so you can search for "Xequerin.png" or "xequerin.png" in "~/.Oolite/Addons" and it will go away and get on with it.

I suggest you search for "Xequerin.png" to see if anything is referring to it, but also search for "mainPlanet.texture" since the script in "Povray_Planets_v0.14" never actually used the planet's name explicity, only as [size=120]system.name + '.png'[/size]

---------------------------------------------
Name contains: <blank>
Look in folder: ~/.Oolite/AddOns
>Select more options:
... Contains the text: anxeonis.png
... Available options: Show hidden and backup files then click on Add.
---------------------------------------------

Click on "Find" and go and get a cup of tea. This is a brute force search and may take a while.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Okay, I removed the extra Thargoid oxp. Can't find the "Gnome-Search-Tool". Found something called "Gnome Do", but it couldn't find that texture file. I'll keep working at it. Thanks for all the help, guys.

Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Kaks wrote:
beagle, strigi or meta tracker.

Meta tracker (aka tracker) is the one that's been updated most recently, but I dimly remember hearing good things about strigi a couple of years ago...
No matter what linux system you have, at least one of these three will be available to dowload. Each one gives you an 'as-simple-as-it-can-be' search window.
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

Try the following in a terminal :

Code: Select all

cd ~/.Oolite/AddOns/
find . -name *nus.png
This will output any file which name ends with nus.png in your AddOns folder.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Lone_Wolf wrote:

cd ~/.Oolite/AddOns/
find . -name *nus.png
This will probably not help, because the error is that the file is not there. What Mandoman is on the hunt for is the text file (script or plist) which calls for the texture file.
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Lone_Wolf wrote:

cd ~/.Oolite/AddOns/
find . -name *nus.png
Okay, what I come up with is

./Coyote's Run.oxp/Textures/avernus.png
Not sure what that has to do with this, though.

Oh, and I downloaded Meta Tracker, and will install in a bit.

Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

The reason i suggested to do that search is that i thought there was a chance the oxp that needs those textures was written on Windows, which is case-insentive while linux isn't.
Now we know that is not the case.

There are several easy ways to search inside files, i used krusader's search on my system and can now say that famous planets , random hits , BGS , cabal common and the built-in oolite missions don't have references to those 3 files.

OXPs : My user page

Retired, reachable at [email protected]
mandoman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by mandoman »

Okay, I finally got the Gnome-Search-Tool, and it's working on finding anything with Xequerin.png. Looks like it's going to be a while.

I was wrong, it just finished. All it listed were my oolite-save files. Not sure what the significance is with that, though.

Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

A simple search probably won't find it - the file is missing so the file itself won't be found, and it's unlikely to be referred to explicitly by name in the script.

That script reference will almost certainly be a construct, for example the very first Famous Planets scripting I did (which I have to hand easily, although it's not the current version) the setting of the texture was done by using system.mainPlanet.setTexture(system.name + '.png');. Hence there's not an explicit entry for the full texture file name itself.

The only real way to narrow this down is going to be the classic "divide and conquer" method of taking out half your OXPs, reboot and see if the error goes. If it does, replace half of the removed ones back, then rinse and repeat until you've narrowed it down to the culprit OXP (if the error doesn't go on half-OXP removal, restore the ones you just removed and then remove half of the ones you didn't originally remove, then repeat again).

The other thing to remember is that on Linux you can actually have OXPs installed in two places, depending on whether the game is installed with root priv's or not. If it was, then iirc the game can pick up OXPs in the root installation itself (common to all users) and also locally (specific to the user account currently used).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid wrote:
The other thing to remember is that on Linux you can actually have OXPs installed in two places, depending on whether the game is installed with root priv's or not. If it was, then iirc the game can pick up OXPs in the root installation itself (common to all users) and also locally (specific to the user account currently used).
The log itself seems to tell us that there are indeed two places where OXPs are installed, namely "AddOns" and "~/.Oolite/AddOns". However, the only OXP found in the first location is Basic-debug.oxp. All the rest is in the second location.

20:47:02.566 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Unrestricted mode - resource paths:
    ~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/oolite.app/Resources
    AddOns
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns
    AddOns/Basic-debug.oxp
    ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Galactic_Navy 5.4.2.oxp
Zieman
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Zieman »

mandoman wrote:
Okay, I finally got the Gnome-Search-Tool, and it's working on finding anything with Xequerin.png. Looks like it's going to be a while.

I was wrong, it just finished. All it listed were my oolite-save files. Not sure what the significance is with that, though.
A stab in the dark: Could some OXP write the "necessity" to use specific textures for some planets to save file? The OXP can be long gone, but changes in save file will remain.

Another thing you could try is to manually delete Oolite-cache.plist from your ..\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\Caches folder.
Oolite will build a cache on next start, if one doesn't exist. Sometimes it feels like SHIFT-starting doesn't really clear the cache, even if Latest.log states "[dataCache.rebuild.explicitFlush]: Cache explicitly flushed with shift key. Rebuilding from scratch."
...and keep it under lightspeed!

Friendliest Meteor Police that side of Riedquat

[EliteWiki] Far Arm ships
[EliteWiki] Z-ships
[EliteWiki] Baakili Far Trader
[EliteWiki] Tin of SPAM