just found bug in big_ships 1.02

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Hoos
Harmless
Harmless

just found bug in big_ships 1.02

Post by Hoos »

Hi,

I just found that the oxp big_ships 1.02 was crashing my game when trying to fly to Arexe in G1 as part of the constrictor mission. On removing this OXP , the crashing stopped. I'm suing version 1.76 of Oolite on a PC.

Basically as soon as I hyperspaced to Arexe it would freeze for 5 mins then stop.

Hoos
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Re: just found bug in big_ships 1.02

Post by Svengali »

Welcome aboard, Hoos.

Please post Latest.log - this may show something useful .-)
Capt. Murphy
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Capt. Murphy »

This isn't a bug in big_ships 1.02 as such, but it likely to be a problem with another OXP ship that has the bigTrader role, possibly specific to certain graphics cards, and also potentially compounded by having a lot of different OXP ships installed (more textures/shaders = more memory use and there is an upper limit for 32 bit apps). Latest.log may have some texture memory errors confirming the latter part of the problem.

I get the same problem on occasion, but haven't got round to tracking down the problem ship as yet. I'll stick it on my to do list.
[EliteWiki] Capt. Murphy's OXPs
External JavaScript resources - W3Schools & Mozilla Developer Network
Win 7 64bit, Intel Core i5 with HD3000 (driver rev. 8.15.10.2696 - March 2012), Oolite 1.76.1
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

As the Capt above says its likely a problem with some big texture files. And those are more frequent in the bigger ships. You could use one of the secret settings to put a maximum to the texture sizes oolite will accept. Bigger sizes will be scaled down. You'll than miss some of the detail of the more textured ships, but that is better than risking a crash.