Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

display reputation v1.1 assistance politely requested

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

display reputation v1.1 assistance politely requested

Post by MEGALODON »

Dear commanders

Ok I did a search for an existing thread and couldn't find one so please refrain from scolding me please.

I don't know if this is a bug or I'm not able to advance the screen I've tried everything.

On the f5 screen where it lists the appropriate info for missions and such, I would appreciate if there is some way of doing this.
At the bottom it has three dots ... Like that indicating there is more to follow yet I can't scroll the page to see what else is there.

I apparently have a highlighted system at tiebided yet I have no idea what mission or objectives are related to it.

Are there any plans to put in a right arrow to new page the info like with all your equipment ?
This would be a great help and perhaps this is planned in an update of this oxp. Or there is just a button I'm not hitting or don't know about.

Thanks for everyone's time and consideration.

MEGALODON.

Oh ps. Is the battlestar galactica oxp dead? Posted a reply on there and no one has replied so I'm assuming it has been abandoned....

Thanks...
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: display reputation v1.1 assistance politely requested

Post by SandJ »

MEGALODON wrote:
Ok I did a search for an existing thread and couldn't find one so please refrain from scolding me please.
Well, you should have found this one: MEGALODON display reputation :D It's where you asked last time!

MEGALODON wrote:
On the f5 screen where it lists the appropriate info for missions and such, I would appreciate if there is some way of doing this. At the bottom it has three dots ... Like that indicating there is more to follow yet I can't scroll the page to see what else is there.
I don't think that screen was ever intended to display as much information as the various OXPs now expect it to display. I uninstalled Display Reputation for the time being just because it uses up two of those lines and makes the "..." more likely.

I agree, changing the core Oolite to allow scrolling / page up+down / next page like you can for equipment might be the solution.
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

SandJ wrote:
I don't think that screen was ever intended to display as much information as the various OXPs now expect it to display. I uninstalled Display Reputation for the time being just because it uses up two of those lines and makes the "..." more likely.

I agree, changing the core Oolite to allow scrolling / page up+down / next page like you can for equipment might be the solution.
Amen to all that! I'm looking for volunteers to either overhaul the GUI to allow scrolling everywhere, or to just enable paging for the f5 screen, which I believe is the only screen that causes those problems at the minute. Any takers? :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MEGALODON »

Ok guys sorry I missed that search somehow thanks for your graces.

Well like in your equipment screen page its got that selectable right arrow that you can go through all your installed equipment.

When you go to the next page of the manifest screen it lists display rep.

I passionately believe there are one or two solutions.
In whatever controls the page switching over to display more equipment if the script can be adapted to allow for overflow that would keep going through the pages till it reached the last entry like when you do it for your installed equipment.

Option 2 would involve moving it to a different function key that isn't being used right now.
F4,9,10,11 I believe have no functions associated with it.

I can appreciate the original programmers leaving this open but since so much info is displayed in that screen I think iT should graduate to getting its own f key.

Option 3 optimization of where info normally would display and see if there's a better way of displaying it.
Eg. Iron hide armour should have the strength right beside it on the equip page first f5 press with the scrollable arrow.

Hope these ideas help..
Thargoid
Thargoid
Thargoid

Post by Thargoid »

MEGALODON wrote:
Eg. Iron hide armour should have the strength right beside it on the equip page first f5 press with the scrollable arrow.
If it were possible (at least without 100 different pieces of equipment) then it would do.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

MEGALODON wrote:
I passionately believe there are one or two solutions.
The most obvious solution is to sell your cargo first before you go to the manifest screen. You certainly have noticed that your cargo manifest takes roughly one half of the screen if you have various commodities in your hold, which automatically leaves only the other half to display all the other stuff. Reduce the space needed for your cargo manifest, and everything else gets more space.
MEGALODON wrote:
In whatever controls the page switching over to display more equipment if the script can be adapted to allow for overflow that would keep going through the pages till it reached the last entry like when you do it for your installed equipment.
As Kaks already hinted at in his answer, this has nothing to do with script. In order to implement a scrolling solution of any kind, the code of Oolite has to be re-programmed. This has already been done for the status screen, which also was overflowing until Oolite 1.73. Unfortunately the code for displaying screens is a mess, therefore the arrows implemented in a couple of screens (status, equipment, shipyard) cannot be transferred to other screens (manifest). Everything has to be re-written from scratch. As Kaks pointed out, there is currently nobody in the development team with enough time/energy at their hands for doing that.
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

If you are displaying at 768 pels in the Y axis then you might consider a monitor capable of 1024 pels or better?
Oolite 1.76
Debian 6 : Ubuntu 12.04
NVidia 6200 : Radeon/AMD thang
Abit AN7 : Packard Bell TJ74
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

Greyth wrote:
If you are displaying at 768 pels in the Y axis then you might consider a monitor capable of 1024 pels or better?
Oh, does that make a difference too? Good-o! I'm running with a 1280x1024 monitor and with cargo + contracts + reputation + ACS chaff packages + rescued slaves + stellar serpents + ironhide armour + Society of Bounty Hunters rating + Explorer rating + UPS rating, it's not often I don't have "..." at the bottom of that screen!

Now I have an excuse for a new, bigger monitor ... :twisted:
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.
MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MEGALODON »

Interesting Its my laptop monitor interesting but I think my laptop may not support such a high y resolution.

Other interesting perhaps related is I did a search online to update my current drivers, they are so out of date but whenever it says it finds the drivers it says it can't install them... PITA (......Pain in the ....)

I appreciate your thoughts though interesting temp fix anyway.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

SandJ wrote:
Greyth wrote:
Oh, does that make a difference too?
No, it doesn't. Oolite uses a fixed number of text lines in its GUI. The only difference is that the letters (and of course everything else as well) render better at a higher resolution.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Commander McLane wrote:
No, it doesn't. Oolite uses a fixed number of text lines in its GUI. The only difference is that the letters (and of course everything else as well) render better at a higher resolution.
Is it worth looking at increasing the number of GUI text lines, perhaps by implementing a smaller font?
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

I'm fairly sure I wasn't dreaming...

If you have a higher Y resolution and maintain the same amount of x pels then you don't get the three little dots. I know because I have a monitors at 768 and 1024 pels in the Y respectively. I'm guessing it works because y is increased without increasing x, so the ratio of y pels to x changes. Therefore the screen is rendered accordingly.

MEGALODON, If you would be kind enough to send me your save file (please zip or tar it) then I'll be happy to test the theory and post the screenshots wether I'm right or wrong.
Oolite 1.76
MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by MEGALODON »

Ok Greyth can you email me at [email protected]

And ill attach it on the reply, just busy at work lately it will be easier for me to get it to you.

You will need the vampire mk I gold redux.

Cause that's the ship I have right now
snork
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by snork »

there's no need to exchange savegames to test this - start Oolite in windowed mode, drag the window to resize from more-broad-than-high to more-high-than-broad : it does not matter. same number of lines for text.

I think Greyth does not like to do some homework before claiming wildest things.
Greyth
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Greyth »

Sorry Megalodon,

I obviously was dreaming... have to pinch myself before posting! :oops:
Oolite 1.76