Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Legal rating removal, combat and survival

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

MEGALODON
Dangerous
Dangerous

SELECT ZONE 5 and you can EXTEND and ESCAPE

Post by MEGALODON »

Hi Everyone

I kind of started LOLing when I read the post 2-3 but 6 is nuts

I can hear Hudson from Aliens "It's Game Over Man Game Over!"

I know when you get jumped by a bunch of baddies if you have no witchdrive boosters the only thing that's gonna save your butt is an Energy Bomb detonation.

And speaking of which how come I can't buy one for my Vampire MKI Gold. What Techlevel is minimum for that?

I try and engage those groups but usually if I can't get any progress, missiles need to be slightly more effective for the player, nearly every damn ship has an ecm so its nearly a waste of credits when you fire one off and it just gets countered like immediately after launch, someone told me ECMS have a chance well they must be rolling a stacked die or two cause its always successful.

If you get jumped by that many I liked how a missile would get them off your back for a little grace period to engage another hostile target. The player is a sense a hero so the odds of the NPC's countering your missile should be varied more rather than automatic success, and I remember in the original versions of ELITE for the Commodore 64 I when I first started on occasion was able to kill a missile with my gun.

THe new missiles are almost too powerful. In the original game and the standard missiles if you had a missile impact it drained that shield completely. If your shield was down I believe it destroyed you. I have 7 energy banks now it should be not instant kill but put my energy low enough to make me go come on baby hold together...
cim
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: SELECT ZONE 5 and you can EXTEND and ESCAPE

Post by cim »

MEGALODON wrote:
And speaking of which how come I can't buy one for my Vampire MKI Gold. What Techlevel is minimum for that?
Techlevel 7, but it's possible that the Vampire MkI doesn't have anywhere you can fit one.
MEGALODON wrote:
I try and engage those groups but usually if I can't get any progress, missiles need to be slightly more effective for the player, nearly every damn ship has an ecm so its nearly a waste of credits when you fire one off and it just gets countered like immediately after launch, someone told me ECMS have a chance well they must be rolling a stacked die or two cause its always successful.
Standard missiles are only useful to get a ship to break off its attack for a second or two. If you're the only non-pirate around at that point it'll go straight back to attacking you.

ECM-Hardened "hardhead" missiles can be ECM'd but only rarely. They probably will be evaded by anything decent, but it will get that pirate off your case for 20-30 seconds, and possibly chase them far enough away that they don't come back. Of course, they also cost enough that you can't just use them as a first resort in combat.
MEGALODON wrote:
The player is a sense a hero
Maybe. They start out as yet another anonymous pilot, though. If they become a renowned hero, it's because they earned it, not because they were fated to be great.
MEGALODON wrote:
I remember in the original versions of ELITE for the Commodore 64 I when I first started on occasion was able to kill a missile with my gun.
Possible in Oolite too, on occasion. It's not easy, but it can be done.
MEGALODON wrote:
THe new missiles are almost too powerful. In the original game and the standard missiles if you had a missile impact it drained that shield completely. If your shield was down I believe it destroyed you. I have 7 energy banks now it should be not instant kill but put my energy low enough to make me go come on baby hold together...
This is a frame rate problem - I get the same, sometimes. The missiles are supposed to be about as powerful as you suggest, but if you have a low frame rate (less than about 60 FPS, say) then the missiles sometimes get closer than they're supposed to before detonating, and do considerably more damage that way.

You can check your frame rate with shift+F - if it's regularly below 60, then there are two possibilities:
1) You might have too many OXPs installed. Try playing in "strict mode" (which disables all OXPs) and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then you have a choice: fewer OXPs, or see option 2.
2) Your computer might not be powerful enough. You'll just have to live with it until you need to upgrade.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

MEGALODON wrote:
The player is a sense a hero
I disagree here, and so would many people.

In my opinion the beauty of Oolite is that the player is NOT the hero of the game. This is exactly what sets it apart from most other games.

The true beauty of Oolite is that the Ooniverse doesn't really care about the player. NPCs interact with each other even if the player is not present. The player is merely a very small and insignificant character in a huge universe, which evolves and acts even without the player interfering.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SandJ
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by SandJ »

MEGALODON wrote:
I can hear Hudson from Aliens "It's Game Over Man Game Over!"
I frequently do - I have installed the sound set that makes that the "Game Over" sound.
MEGALODON wrote:
I know when you get jumped by a bunch of baddies if you have no witchdrive boosters the only thing that's gonna save your butt is an Energy Bomb detonation.
Shooting them works too.
MEGALODON wrote:
I try and engage those groups but usually if I can't get any progress
Don't engage them until you've had a bit more combat practice.
MEGALODON wrote:
missiles need to be slightly more effective for the player, nearly every damn ship has an ecm so its nearly a waste of credits when you fire one off and it just gets countered like immediately after launch
We've had this conversation before. Missiles are just a distraction for you to run away, or use your lasers.
MEGALODON wrote:
for the Commodore 64 I when I first started on occasion was able to kill a missile with my gun.
Practice, practice, practice. When you get the hang of how the missiles spiral toward you, it gets easier.
MEGALODON wrote:
The new missiles are almost too powerful. In the original game and the standard missiles if you had a missile impact it drained that shield completely. If your shield was down I believe it destroyed you. I have 7 energy banks now it should be not instant kill
I die instantly when the military missile hits me, too. That's why I took the time to learn how to shoot them down. But then, so do many of those I fire such a missile at, so that's fair. (I think that's because my frame rate is usually in the 20-35 FPS range.)
MEGALODON wrote:
put my energy low enough to make me go come on baby hold together...
Posted on the wrong forum? 8)
Flying a Cobra Mk I Cobbie 3 with nothing but Explorers Club.OXP and a beam laser 4 proper lasers for company :D
Dropbox referral link 2GB of free space online + 500 Mb for the referral: good for securing work-in-progress.